JK new upper ball joint movement

jeeeep

Hooked
Helping a friend install ball joints and something I don't recall is the new upper ball joint moving in/out; up/down so easily.

Side to side it's tight like it should be. Once greased up it doesn't have the in/out; up/down movement.

Is this normal? it's only the upper ball joints that do this, the lowers are fine.

Nothing pressed against the bottom of ball joint spindle when pressed in, it passed thru the adapter hole and C-clamp with space all around.

WJCO

Meme King
Helping a friend install ball joints and something I don't recall is the new upper ball joint moving in/out; up/down so easily.

Side to side it's tight like it should be. Once greased up it doesn't have the in/out; up/down movement.

Is this normal? it's only the upper ball joints that do this, the lowers are fine.

Nothing pressed against the bottom of ball joint spindle when pressed in, it passed thru the adapter hole and C-clamp with space all around.
You're saying it moves in the knuckle? Shouldn't. It's a press fit.

jeeeep

Hooked
Like pressing the ball of the joint into the socket of the joint? How much?
yes, like pressing the ball into the socket, it doesn't move much and with grease, can't move it all.

Never noticed this with other ball joints I've installed

WJCO

Meme King
yes, like pressing the ball into the socket, it doesn't move much and with grease, can't move it all.

Never noticed this with other ball joints I've installed
Hopefully someone here has a brand new one on the shelf to check and see if it's the same.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I

It’s not supposed to do that

jeeeep

Hooked
Shifting up and down or side to side is a clear sign that the joint is worn out.
yeah, that's what I've always thought but these are brand new synergy ball joints and both uppers do the same thing.

Only the uppers, and only up/down movement; side to side they are stiff like they should be.

Reaching out to Synergy about replacements.

Edit: spoke to Synergy tech support and their upper ball joint is a plunger style, without the grease it's normal for them to have the up/down movement. Looking at their cut away it makes sense. Should have done better research to their website 1st lol ...much relief...

ball-joints-cut-away-400.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom