JKX requirements = my empty wallet will be even emptier(?)

sparkymoffett

Reading over the requirements for the JKX, I decided to do some virtual shopping. Listing out all the things I would need to meet the req's.
WOW!!! I've got some saving/spending to do!!
So far i'm at about 15k$ needed to get to ready.
lockers, new front d44 so i can rock beads and 37's, cage, gearing for the rear, winch, etc etc

Not complaining or anything like that, just stating.
Looking for a 3rd job now. I should be ready for jkx '16 or '17 :rock::rock::eek:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Yeah, it's not for the faint of heart or monetarily challenged. You've got the right idea though, save, save, save, and then hope you get chosen. It's kinda like winning the lottery, a long shot, but life changing if you win. All the best on your quest.:yup:

sparkymoffett

and even if i don't get chosen, i'll have a really capable rig..
I'll also just live vicariously through Weston at Trail Jeeps (they are down the street from me), he's been a few times.

DangerDan

Jkx isn't about spending the most money or preventing someone to go because they need to spend 15k on requirements for their Jk. EVOlander is running stock rubi axles and lockers with 37s.

thardy

Banned
I made the mistake of putting together a build sheet on mine, if I were to build it EXACTLY the way I wanted, while meeting the JKX requirements and, while I wasn't surprised, it kinda sucks to see what the $$ comes to. Mine was at about $22k. Got a ways to go. :brows:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
and even if i don't get chosen, i'll have a really capable rig..
I'll also just live vicariously through Weston at Trail Jeeps (they are down the street from me), he's been a few times.

I'm saving right now for an EVO enforcer kit and will pay Trail Jeeps a visit as soon as I can. They're not very far from me in E-Green either. I drive by their shop every once in awhile but can't stop in 'cause I'll stretch my card on the spot if I do.:cheesy:

ttfhell

I've said this before but you need to have the mindset that you are fine with the possibility that something catastrophic can happen to your jeep and be ok with it going in. That is on the far end of the spectrum but it happens. If you aren't prepared for the possibility of damage, body or mechanical, you will be thinking about that instead of having fun. Once again you don't need to throw tons of money into your jeep to meet the requirements but you need to be prepared for the worse and be cool with it.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've said this before but you need to have the mindset that you are fine with the possibility that something catastrophic can happen to your jeep and be ok with it going in. That is on the far end of the spectrum but it happens. If you aren't prepared for the possibility of damage, body or mechanical, you will be thinking about that instead of having fun. Once again you don't need to throw tons of money into your jeep to meet the requirements but you need to be prepared for the worse and be cool with it.

X2, but I did notice only 5 JK's attempted Carnage Canyon on the 2011 Colorado JKX after Mel said don't do it unless you can deal with a couple of grand in body damage. Only the hardest of the hardcore attempted it.:yup:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
X2, but I did notice only 5 JK's attempted Carnage Canyon on the 2011 Colorado JKX after Mel said don't do it unless you can deal with a couple of grand in body damage. Only the hardest of the hardcore attempted it.:yup:

Taking the by-passes and avioding the harder trails doesn't get you in the vidoes either. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sparkymoffett

I'm saving right now for an EVO enforcer kit and will pay Trail Jeeps a visit as soon as I can. They're not very far from me in E-Green either. I drive by their shop every once in awhile but can't stop in 'cause I'll stretch my card on the spot if I do.:cheesy:

well they have quite the clientele now, so you'll have to wait a bit to stretch the card..but you can get on the schedule!!! GREAT guys though! I can't recommend them enough

sparkymoffett

Oh i couldn't agree more!!! showing my wife the videos so that she understands that it's about the fun and there may be some carnage.
The money for me right now is just to get my rig MORE trail worthy. Started with an 07 sahara that had a poopy lift on it when i got it... so still have a ways to go from what i've done so far.

thardy

Banned

Completely understand that. There's no way I would even consider applying for it with my rig still being my DD. I couldn't imagine really being able to enjoy the trip at all if you were in any way concerned with damage.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Do you speak from experience ?!

Skid_Kid

You have broken stuff?

JAGS

Hooked
Don't forget to also save some for the cost of the trip if you get selected. :D

Two things often overlooked. It aint cheap to be hard core. While my rig might be closer to ready, I don't think I'll be ready for several years to come. Especially not while my jeep in my only means of transportation. Well, and the fact I still qualify for the Newbie runs...lol. :cheesy:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I kind of built my rig up till this point to always be ready to go on the jkx, now if I can actually afford to go if I ever get picked is another story.

KingCopperhead

I hear ya. I'm a rear locker, and cage away from meeting the min requirements. I won't even apply because I know that I can't swing the trip without major financial preparation and if I get selected I'll rush my build and end up going on a shoestring budget. Patience is a virtue I guess. ;-)

2016 is my goal.

Top Bottom