Leveling without a spacer kit... just springs? Mojave springs?

human1391

Hello All,

I've had my JT Unlimited (w/Standard Tow Package) for about three years now and I have been looking to level it, but I dislike the idea of spacers. I have always been curious of using stock Mojave front springs but all the threads I find out there really just compare the Mojave spring to the Rubicon spring. As anyone ever done this upgrade than can speak to the actual lift expectancy? Are there any aftermarket non-spacer leveling kits that you can recommend?

Thanks,

human1391

Its really just the idea of them that I am against... I'm sure they are safe enough, just a matter of personal preference is all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its really just the idea of them that I am against... I'm sure they are safe enough, just a matter of personal preference is all.
LOL - yeah, I get that it's just a matter of personal preference, I'm just curious as to what idea of them is it that you're so against? I mean, if you're front end is sitting 1" lower than you'd prefer, 1" coil spacers will raise your it up to where you want. This as opposed to installing new and taller coils that you really have no idea as to how much taller it will be on your specific Jeep. As it is, EVERY JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator has corner specific coils and made for the exact model that it's installed on and even dependent on what motor it has. Installing a set from something like a Mojave could potentially give you what you're wanting but it could also just as easily give you way too much lift. This is 100% true of aftermarket lift coils as most tend to yield WAY MORE LIFT than is advertised.

human1391

LOL - yeah, I get that it's just a matter of personal preference, I'm just curious as to what idea of them is it that you're so against? I mean, if you're front end is sitting 1" lower than you'd prefer, 1" coil spacers will raise your it up to where you want. This as opposed to installing new and taller coils that you really have no idea as to how much taller it will be on your specific Jeep. As it is, EVERY JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator has corner specific coils and made for the exact model that it's installed on and even dependent on what motor it has. Installing a set from something like a Mojave could potentially give you what you're wanting but it could also just as easily give you way too much lift. This is 100% true of aftermarket lift coils as most tend to yield WAY MORE LIFT than is advertised.
All excellent points, I fully accept that a coil spacer will likely yeild more predictable results. That said, a curious person with the right spare parts lying around might end up with just what they are looking for if they are lucky, and willing to try. So thats really what i'm after... trying to satisfy a curiosity. I just so happen to have a set of Mojave springs, there are tons of them out there as many Mojave owners upgrade to full lift kits and it would be nice to know if some of us can benefit from the availability of a taller set of OEM springs that are coner ballanced for a similar vehicle.

human1391

I believe the Mojave gets its extra inch up front from a built in spacer in the coil bucket, not actually a taller spring
That would be devastating for my argument ; )..... I did lookup the part numbers and the OEM coils spring isolator is the same part number for all the models. I understand thats not the same as it being built in but just an additional datapoint... the spacer would be on the axle side I imagine? on the frame side I would asume its the same for all models.

onlyone

All excellent points, I fully accept that a coil spacer will likely yeild more predictable results. That said, a curious person with the right spare parts lying around might end up with just what they are looking for if they are lucky, and willing to try. So thats really what i'm after... trying to satisfy a curiosity. I just so happen to have a set of Mojave springs, there are tons of them out there as many Mojave owners upgrade to full lift kits and it would be nice to know if some of us can benefit from the availability of a taller set of OEM springs that are coner ballanced for a similar vehicle.
So why don’t you just install them and find out. Then after they settle and sag, you can do it again with some 1” spacers. I think it would be best to listen to the knowledgeable folks here. It’s been done so many times, it’s like the “what’s the largest tire” question.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly, this is something you should do then and post up what you find (y)

human1391

So why don’t you just install them and find out. Then after they settle and sag, you can do it again with some 1” spacers. I think it would be best to listen to the knowledgeable folks here. It’s been done so many times, it’s like the “what’s the largest tire” question.
Maybe I asked the wrong question here... I'm not trying to debate the effectiveness of a coil spring spacer vs a taller coil. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this is all. Its just because of the knowledgable folks here that i posed the question. If someone where to come out and say difinitively the wont work for XYZ reason I'd be happy listen and not waste my time. I just don't want to go out and buy a set of spacers while i have a "maybe" viable solution based on conjecture.

benatc1

Hooked
That would be devastating for my argument ; )..... I did lookup the part numbers and the OEM coils spring isolator is the same part number for all the models. I understand thats not the same as it being built in but just an additional datapoint... the spacer would be on the axle side I imagine? on the frame side I would asume its the same for all models.

So the spacer is in the frame side, I went though this prior with my Mojave and I believe Lperdue found out that it’s a spacer in the coil that makes the difference. But there is definitely no spacer on the axle side

Last edited:

human1391

So the spacer is in the frame side, I went though this prior with my Mojave and I believe Lperdue found out that it’s a socket in the coil that makes the difference. But there is definitely no spacer on the axles side
Thank you, I apperciate the info.

If you were to walk in my door and say I want to level the Jeep, a spacer up front is your best option to achieve just that. You will also retain your factory coil rates. A spacer in the upper coil bucket simply replaces the stock isolator that’s already there with a thicker one that’s also indexed for the coil.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Hello All,

I've had my JT Unlimited (w/Standard Tow Package) for about three years now and I have been looking to level it, but I dislike the idea of spacers. I have always been curious of using stock Mojave front springs but all the threads I find out there really just compare the Mojave spring to the Rubicon spring. As anyone ever done this upgrade than can speak to the actual lift expectancy? Are there any aftermarket non-spacer leveling kits that you can recommend?

Thanks,
Have you looked into the Rancho leveling kit? I've been running it for over two years and about 30k miles and love it. Ride still feels great.

human1391

Have you looked into the Rancho leveling kit? I've been running it for over two years and about 30k miles and love it. Ride still feels great.
I have actually, one of the few non-spacer leveling kits i've seen. Glad to hear you are happy with them...how much leveling did it do? any before/after pics you can share or have shared?

WJCO

Meme King
I have actually, one of the few non-spacer leveling kits i've seen. Glad to hear you are happy with them...how much leveling did it do? any before/after pics you can share or have shared?
I gained 2.25 inches in the front. No before pics but after pics in link below. I did measure before and after.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Maybe I asked the wrong question here... I'm not trying to debate the effectiveness of a coil spring spacer vs a taller coil. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this is all. Its just because of the knowledgable folks here that i posed the question. If someone where to come out and say difinitively the wont work for XYZ reason I'd be happy listen and not waste my time. I just don't want to go out and buy a set of spacers while i have a "maybe" viable solution based on conjecture.
You didn’t ask the wrong question you just refuse to answer the question that is asked to you. There is a difference.

human1391

You didn’t ask the wrong question you just refuse to answer the question that is asked to you. There is a difference.
I think I answered the only question I've been asked twice. Its a matter of personal preference. I have NOTHING against spacers, I don't think there is anythign wrong with spacers and I did not try to start a discussion on spacers. I merely mentioned them because I was specifically requesting feedback from anyone that didn't go the spacer route. I do not disagree that spacers are an effective solution, i didn't need to come on this forum to discover that. I asked a specific question and I appreciate the folks that have answered my question.

onlyone

Ok cool. How about this. We know for a fact a 1” spacer will give you 1” more. We don’t know that some factory junk springs you have in a corner, someone gave you, will work. Which one will you chose? That’s the point people have been trying to get you to understand. The majority of us have been through this, which is why we explained that the spacer is a sure thing. Good luck and once again, let us know how it turns out. (y)

Top Bottom