Lift kits..

rubi_vette

I know I'm opening up a can of worms with this question. But I am looking to do a lift kit on the JLU. In the past I've used Bilsteins to level out my trucks I've owned.
My budget is about $1000-1200 in parts. I'd have to pay someone to install them for me as it's far over my head! The typical shop I use for my trucks that I've owned usually recommends Rough Country. But it looks like they have a bad word of mouth for their suspension lifts.

Not looking to do this anytime soon, but I am looking to get a good idea at what I'd need and how much my wallet would cry. For example, the price of Teraflex 3.50-Inch Coil Spring Base Suspension Lift Kit with 9550 VSS Shocks looks like it's $1100; but unsure if it's good enough.

Overall, I do want this for a better appearance look and other things.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The first question you should be asking yourself is, how big of a tire are you planning on running. The second question you should be asking is, how do you intend to use your Jeep? Daily driver with some weekend trips out on mild/moderate trails? Hard core rock crawling? You already covered budget so that already narrows what you should be looking at and at 3.5", I can already tell you that it isn't enough for a good on pavement ride. 2"-3" max is what you should be looking at.

rubi_vette

The first question you should be asking yourself is, how big of a tire are you planning on running. The second question you should be asking is, how do you intend to use your Jeep? Daily driver with some weekend trips out on mild/moderate trails? Hard core rock crawling? You already covered budget so that already narrows what you should be looking at and at 3.5", I can already tell you that it isn't enough for a good on pavement ride. 2"-3" max is what you should be looking at.
Currently I have 35s on my Rubicon. I think I may move up to 37s, but that's as far as I'd go. Sadly NY/PA doesn't have many hardcore rock crawling as the western side of the states do, so It wouldn't really spend most of it's time off road. 90% of the time it will be on the road. So if it's 2-3" lift, what should I go with? I do appreciate a better "pavement ride" than what it currently is, but most of it currently has to do with the tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, that helps a lot. For your budget and for what you're looking to do, I personally would recommend this kit.

It's less that $1k, will clear 37's and will offer a nice ride. And really, if you follow my video, you can totally install this yourself. (y)

rubi_vette

Okay, that helps a lot. For your budget and for what you're looking to do, I personally would recommend this kit.

It's less that $1k, will clear 37's and will offer a nice ride. And really, if you follow my video, you can totally install this yourself. (y)
Should I also have to add Steering Stabilizers? I read somewhere online that those should be upgraded as well or something?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Should I also have to add Steering Stabilizers? I read somewhere online that those should be upgraded as well or something?
I would never pretend to know as much as what you read on the internet but in my limited experience of working on Jeeps for almost 30 years now, I would have to say that there is NO need for an aftermarket steering stabilizer. In fact, I personally think OEM is best.

CalSgt

Hooked
I would never pretend to know as much as what you read on the internet but in my limited experience of working on Jeeps for almost 30 years now, I would have to say that there is NO need for an aftermarket steering stabilizer. In fact, I personally think OEM is best.
^^^ This

I only changed mine due to money burning a hole in my pocket & thought it would fix a slight wobble issue. Turns out that no matter what you spend on a stabilizer it wont hide a worn out track bar bushing.

rubi_vette

Much appreciated for the advice. It's definitely hard to find on the internet what is good and what isn't. That's usually why I research through different forums. For example, tons of people knock on Rough Country for their lifts, but in terms of LED light bars they're not that bad for the price per performance scenario.

As WAYALIFE said the rancho 2” kit is great. I’m down outside of Philly and daily my Jeep. 2” sport with 9000 shocks cost me around $750. Added rubicon fenders to clear the 37’s
@cozdude How much of the ride does it improve? Like what are some things you notice day to day? I'll more than likely get rid of my rubber and move to Falken WildPeaks (I've used them on my trucks in the past, its' a solid tire). I'm assuming there is still steering wheel play, like they are when they're stock. I'm jealous about your stubby bumper. I'm currently on 35x12.5x17, my plan would be the lift before getting 37s. Since my wallet isn't made of money entirely!

What are some things you noticed about the suspension lift that have altered, or benefited the drive from pavement driving? I do attend to take mine out on gravel/intermediate off-roading trails at a later time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Much appreciated for the advice. It's definitely hard to find on the internet what is good and what isn't. That's usually why I research through different forums. For example, tons of people knock on Rough Country for their lifts, but in terms of LED light bars they're not that bad for the price per performance scenario.

@cozdude How much of the ride does it improve? Like what are some things you notice day to day? I'll more than likely get rid of my rubber and move to Falken WildPeaks (I've used them on my trucks in the past, its' a solid tire). I'm assuming there is still steering wheel play, like they are when they're stock. I'm jealous about your stubby bumper. I'm currently on 35x12.5x17, my plan would be the lift before getting 37s. Since my wallet isn't made of money entirely!

What are some things you noticed about the suspension lift that have altered, or benefited the drive from pavement driving? I do attend to take mine out on gravel/intermediate off-roading trails at a later time.
lol thank you. Found a rubicon steel bumper on Facebook market place for a good price.

I personally think it rides very similar to stock. The shocks are adjustable to soften or help stiffen the ride a bit which is nice. It does “wobble” a bit in some spots but most of that is the tires and running them at 27psi on 17” wheels. Sidewall flexes more.

The only additional thing I added to the kit was the mopar 2” lift lower control arms to help caster. A good alignment and the steering isn’t loose imo.

rubi_vette

lol thank you. Found a rubicon steel bumper on Facebook market place for a good price.

I personally think it rides very similar to stock. The shocks are adjustable to soften or help stiffen the ride a bit which is nice. It does “wobble” a bit in some spots but most of that is the tires and running them at 27psi on 17” wheels. Sidewall flexes more.

The only additional thing I added to the kit was the mopar 2” lift lower control arms to help caster. A good alignment and the steering isn’t loose imo.
If only I could find a steel bumper rubicon.. I've been searching here! Trust me.

I'd be curious- if I don't upgrade to 37s. If that "wobble" would be happen. I find the default steering is a little loose. In the concept of, it has more play when driving straight. I think it's just a Jeep thing. I purchased my Rubicon with wheel/tire package, but on stock suspension. I guess if the rancho lift is enough, and will provide good pavement performance and off-road with looking good as well... I wasn't able to find the lift that Wayalife mentioned through there site? I wonder if I have to go through another vendor.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If only I could find a steel bumper rubicon.. I've been searching here! Trust me.

I'd be curious- if I don't upgrade to 37s. If that "wobble" would be happen. I find the default steering is a little loose. In the concept of, it has more play when driving straight. I think it's just a Jeep thing. I purchased my Rubicon with wheel/tire package, but on stock suspension. I guess if the rancho lift is enough, and will provide good pavement performance and off-road with looking good as well... I wasn't able to find the lift that Wayalife mentioned through there site? I wonder if I have to go through another vendor.
The wobble lessens when the tire pressure is higher. It’s just more noticeable with it lower so it wears more even down the road

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair, I would be the first to say that internet forums are the worst place to find out what's GOOD FOR YOU and what isn't. Most of the smack talk will come from guys who's only real and personal experience with a lift kit is with whatever they chose to buy and god forbid it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. Admitting to anything otherwise would mean they made a mistake and there's no way on earth they would do that. I've been lucky in that I've been able to install and test out a myriad of lift kits over the last 25 years and that has helped me to have a better idea of what I like and what works for me and I can tell you, that isn't the same for everyone.

With that said, Rough Country has a bad reputation because of what they were in the past and that's too bad. They have come a long way since then and now, make decent products at a price that most can afford. Kinda like Rancho. Does better exist? Of course, just like anything but it all comes at a cost.

^^^ This

I only changed mine due to money burning a hole in my pocket & thought it would fix a slight wobble issue. Turns out that no matter what you spend on a stabilizer it wont hide a worn out track bar bushing.
In sort of the same boat, mine was slightly bashed thanks to Big Bear so I gave the Rancho one a shot. While it certainly didn't make it worse it didn't make it any better either. Definitely unnecessary.

rubi_vette

To be fair, I would be the first to say that internet forums are the worst place to find out what's GOOD FOR YOU and what isn't. Most of the smack talk will come from guys who's only real and personal experience with a lift kit is with whatever they chose to buy and god forbid it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. Admitting to anything otherwise would mean they made a mistake and there's no way on earth they would do that. I've been lucky in that I've been able to install and test out a myriad of lift kits over the last 25 years and that has helped me to have a better idea of what I like and what works for me and I can tell you, that isn't the same for everyone.

With that said, Rough Country has a bad reputation because of what they were in the past and that's too bad. They have come a long way since then and now, make decent products at a price that most can afford. Kinda like Rancho. Does better exist? Of course, just like anything but it all comes at a cost.
Sorry to reply late. Curiousity, the RC lift say the 3.5" do you think the N3 shocks that come standard with them are more than enough for mainly pavement driving, and some off-road trips here and there? (This is all hypothetical to which lift kit I'm going with, but was curious to what it would be perform like).

Complete side note: I did do some research on the RC black series light bars, is it really THAT easy to mount and install. Looks like I'm going to get a confidence boost in wiring it myself. Lol!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to reply late. Curiousity, the RC lift say the 3.5" do you think the N3 shocks that come standard with them are more than enough for mainly pavement driving, and some off-road trips here and there? (This is all hypothetical to which lift kit I'm going with, but was curious to what it would be perform like).

Complete side note: I did do some research on the RC black series light bars, is it really THAT easy to mount and install. Looks like I'm going to get a confidence boost in wiring it myself. Lol!
As I always like to say, ride quality is 100% subjective. In other words, it's hard to say for sure what their performance will feel like to you or if they'll be enough for your mainly pavement driving. If there is an upside to RC, it's that their kits are affordable enough to make a mistake and change things up as needed without feeling too much pain.

rubi_vette

As I always like to say, ride quality is 100% subjective. In other words, it's hard to say for sure what their performance will feel like to you or if they'll be enough for your mainly pavement driving. If there is an upside to RC, it's that their kits are affordable enough to make a mistake and change things up as needed without feeling too much pain.
Thats fair. Or at least use them until upgrade at a later point during the Jeeps life. Currently shopping between a few shops, one place is stating $120/hr some are $100/hr. For the same work. Just mind blowing to me!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thats fair. Or at least use them until upgrade at a later point during the Jeeps life. Currently shopping between a few shops, one place is stating $120/hr some are $100/hr. For the same work. Just mind blowing to me!
I would still encourage you to do the work yourself. The cost to have it done will pay for all the tools you need and they'll be helpful to have in the future for maintenance.

Top Bottom