Need help

truckerzero

I'm a 1st time jeep owner, bought a 21 gladiator. Installed aev 2.5" rt lift kit. And now it seems to have a lot more rear sway. Also added front and rear adjustable track bars. Unsure on where to go from here with this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Wayalife.

Well, while lift kits that are cheaper may seem intriguing, they are missing a lot of vital components necessary for comfortable every day driving. With what you described it sounds like you need longer adjustable control arms and longer sway bar links. Since you've lifted the Jeep I'd replace all those both front and rear. A track bar just centers your axle, it's your new caster angle that's fighting with the stock geometry, causing it to sway or wander along the road.

I'm not familiar with that kit though I should add, what does it come with?

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a 1st time jeep owner, bought a 21 gladiator. Installed aev 2.5" rt lift kit. And now it seems to have a lot more rear sway. Also added front and rear adjustable track bars. Unsure on where to go from here with this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A lot of rear sway on the rear end? On a pickup truck? Just to be clear, you're saying this as in like body roll to one side and then the other when making turns?

Upvote 0

truckerzero

A lot of rear sway on the rear end? On a pickup truck? Just to be clear, you're saying this as in like body roll to one side and then the other when making turns?

Not really when making turns,sometimes on bumps and on trail. More prevalent under 45 mph.

Upvote 0

truckerzero

Welcome to Wayalife.

Well, while lift kits that are cheaper may seem intriguing, they are missing a lot of vital components necessary for comfortable every day driving. With what you described it sounds like you need longer adjustable control arms and longer sway bar links. Since you've lifted the Jeep I'd replace all those both front and rear. A track bar just centers your axle, it's your new caster angle that's fighting with the stock geometry, causing it to sway or wander along the road.

Upvote 0

truckerzero

Welcome to Wayalife.

It's the aev dualsport lift. Comes with geometry correction brackets, shocks,springs,front and rear sway bar end links. Only extra I got was front and rear adjustable track bars.

Upvote 0

truckerzero

As in, you're driving straight, hit a bump in the road and then the rear and rolls around?

Did you check to make sure your shocks aren't blown?
Came
As in, you're driving straight, hit a bump in the road and then the rear and rolls around?

Did you check to make sure your shocks aren't blown?
Brand new shocks,I'm thinking it's the control arms like you mentioned. Going to order them.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Came

Brand new shocks,I'm thinking it's the control arms like you mentioned. Going to order them.
Brand new doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I've had plenty of new shocks not be properly charged. If you're feeling what you're feeling when driving straight and hitting a bump, it sounds to me like one of your shocks isn't dampening the hit. Control arms will NOT help this.

Upvote 0

JessL

Caught the Bug
Test the shocks! Silly question... are the tires good?
  1. Park the truck on a level surface.
  2. Bounce in the back of the bed on each side of the truck with all your weight and see how the truck reacts. If it bounces more than twice or if it feels noticeably more bouncy than the other side... God forbid both are bad... that may be your bad shock.
  3. Check for fluid leaks around the shock absorbers. If you see any fluid leaks, it is a sign that the shocks are damaged.
  4. Check the condition of the shock absorber bushings and overall installation. If they are damaged or there is play in the installation, it could contribute.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
Go through and check the torque of all the fasteners before troubleshooting. The problem could be something is loose. If not, a loose fastener will make identifying the real problem difficult.

Upvote 0

truckerzero

Test the shocks! Silly question... are the tires good?
  1. Park the truck on a level surface.
  2. Bounce in the back of the bed on each side of the truck with all your weight and see how the truck reacts. If it bounces more than twice or if it feels noticeably more bouncy than the other side... God forbid both are bad... that may be your bad shock.
  3. Check for fluid leaks around the shock absorbers. If you see any fluid leaks, it is a sign that the shocks are damaged.
  4. Check the condition of the shock absorber bushings and overall installation. If they are damaged or there is play in the installation, it could contribute.
Shocks are good,found towing a trailer got rid of the swaying motion.

Upvote 0

truckerzero

Brand new doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I've had plenty of new shocks not be properly charged. If you're feeling what you're feeling when driving straight and hitting a bump, it sounds to me like one of your shocks isn't dampening the hit. Control arms will NOT help this.
Found towing a trailer got rid of the swaying motion

Upvote 0
Top Bottom