POP When Shifting from 1st to 2nd Under Acceleration

Love my Jeep, but feel like there's always something... 🙄

So my Jeep has developed a loud pop noise that occurs specifically when accelerating up a hill and up a hill only, and more specifically right at the point it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear (it's an automatic) and at that point only. Sounds and feels like it's emitting from the center of the Jeep. Driveshafts? Transmission related? Not really sure.

Love my Jeep, but feel like there's always something... 🙄

So my Jeep has developed a loud pop noise that occurs specifically when accelerating up a hill and up a hill only, and more specifically right at the point it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear (it's an automatic) and at that point only. Sounds and feels like it's emitting from the center of the Jeep. Driveshafts? Transmission related? Not really sure.
I’d check your track bar and your control arms torque at the frame.

I’d check your track bar and your control arms torque at the frame.
Just did track bars and control arms, they're definitely torqued. That was the first thing thing that came to mind but everything looks good, my buddy had loose control arm on his TJ, but the pop happened on acceleration from a dead stop, mine is when shifting between 1st and 2nd 🤷‍♂️

all the above and also check the heat shield, mine would pop under load.

unless you feel the transmission is shifting hard then you should probably change the trans filter and fluid
Cool will do, planned to change transmission fluid at 60k anyway, currently at 56k. No hard shifts - just a noticeable pop noise.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool will do, planned to change transmission fluid at 60k anyway, currently at 56k. No hard shifts - just a noticeable pop noise.
If shifting feels fine and you're just hearing a noise, I would definitely look for a loose bolt or worn out bushing. I realize that it only happens shifting from 1st to 2nd but it could be that it hits just the right movement at that moment.

If shifting feels fine and you're just hearing a noise, I would definitely look for a loose bolt or worn out bushing. I realize that it only happens shifting from 1st to 2nd but it could be that it hits just the right movement at that moment.
Hopefully that's the case, thank you my friend 👍

Well after a quick analysis, look who decided to start chucking grease 🙄
PSX_20230314_190613.jpg
Front driveshaft. Probably the culprit eh? Knew this was inevitable sooner or later, on to a better one I guess 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom