ProRock 44 Unlimited Steering

NickOlsonINDY

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I have recently put in a Dynatrac Serious Performance 44/60 axle set which includes the PR44U up front. I am currently running a 2.5" lift with 35" tires all on the stock steering setup. I would like to upgrade my steering to something heavier since I'll be going on a multi-day, remote trip soon. Eventually I'll be going hydraulic, but not until I burn through this set of tires.

Any recommendations on what specific tie rod, drag link, or other components I should be looking at?

Thanks!

boardsurfer

PSC Big Bore steering box. The advantage here is the huge sector shaft. Get the ported version so you can add on to it later with the rest of the hydro stuff. As for the draglink/tie rod, there's a ton of options. I use Synergy.

Thats the setup I have used for 4 years now (37/13.50 Coopers) and I havent seen the need add on the hydro yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster..

I have recently put in a Dynatrac Serious Performance 44/60 axle set which includes the PR44U up front. I am currently running a 2.5" lift with 35" tires all on the stock steering setup. I would like to upgrade my steering to something heavier since I'll be going on a multi-day, remote trip soon. Eventually I'll be going hydraulic, but not until I burn through this set of tires.

Any recommendations on what specific tie rod, drag link, or other components I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Is this for a JK or a JL? Also, unless you're planning on taking on some serious rocks and think you'll be smashing your tie-rod into them, what you have from the factory will be more than enough to get the job done. I personally wouldn't waste your money on parts you don't need.

That said, I can't imagine running a PR44/60 for just a set of 35" tires and can only imagine you have money burning a hole in your pocket and if that's true, I personally would recommend Currie steering components. They are pricey, just like Dynatrac axles but they've always held up well for me. Synergy is another company I would consider.

NickOlsonINDY

Is this for a JK or a JL? Also, unless you're planning on taking on some serious rocks and think you'll be smashing your tie-rod into them, what you have from the factory will be more than enough to get the job done. I personally wouldn't waste your money on parts you don't need.

That said, I can't imagine running a PR44/60 for just a set of 35" tires and can only imagine you have money burning a hole in your pocket and if that's true, I personally would recommend Currie steering components. They are pricey, just like Dynatrac axles but they've always held up well for me. Synergy is another company I would consider.
This is for a JK. That's good to know. I am really just trying to be over prepared as a tow out of this area is not going to be easy to do. Steering is one of the last places I have not touched.

The reason behind the PR44/60 is still a gut-wrenching story for me. I bought my 18' new with the intentions of it being my daily but also doing moderate trails and overlanding. I really did not want to go insane with the build but wanted to re-gear for bigger tires from the stock 3.21 to 4.56 and add a locker to the rear. At some point I may have upgraded the front to a takeoff OEM 44 and added a locker there, but that was going to be a ways down the road. I had a "reputable" local shop install the gears, lockers, shafts, front gussets but left the shop with a noticeable rear whine. I immediately (within miles) brought it back they blamed it on the master install kit I bought from Northridge, said the pinion bearing was bad because the pinion nut provided wasn't tapered and backed off, it was literally falling off, the driveshaft had play in it. So through them this time I paid for a new master install kit and additional labor to have it rebuilt. The second time I left the shop, there was still a whine, they didn't know what it was but took it back and said they'd take care of it. Weeks later they blamed it on the new bearing being bad from the manufacturer but did not charge me this time for wither parts or labor. I left and everything was great, no whine, drove like it should... until around 300 miles later of light driving when the rear pinion bearing completely seized and smoke started pouring out of the rear. I had it towed back to their shop because at this point it was clearly their fault and needed to fix it. They rebuilt it one more time but the same thing happened, driving and all of the sudden smoke pouring out of the rear. I emailed, called, texted but never got a response, they completely ghosted me. I had it taken to another local shop but by that time the outer bearing chase was completely destroyed and everything inside had been damaged by extreme overheating. I had the Jeep towed back to my house where it sat for nearly two years with less than 30k miles on it while I saved funds and decided what to do. I finally pulled the trigger on the Dynatrac setup because I trusted them the most. I'll absolutely go 37's one day, but am going to wait until I burn the 35's out first.

This entire experience has been a nightmare, I'm just excited to be able to wheel again in my own vehicle for the first time in two years.

NickOlsonINDY

PSC Big Bore steering box. The advantage here is the huge sector shaft. Get the ported version so you can add on to it later with the rest of the hydro stuff. As for the draglink/tie rod, there's a ton of options. I use Synergy.

Thats the setup I have used for 4 years now (37/13.50 Coopers) and I havent seen the need add on the hydro yet.
That's a great thought, will make it easy to add hydro if I need to or I might find like you it's not even necessary. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's a hell of a story and one that reminds me that a good gear shop is really hard to find. Clearly, the guys you were using didn't know what they were doing.

With that said, I would still argue that no new steering components are needed for how you plan on using your Jeep, especially with just 35's.

Top Bottom