Regearing Question

thepboverlanderz

Finally lifted my 2020 Jeep JL Rubicon. I went with 2.5 inch Metal Cloak Game Changer lift. I’m running 35x12.50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I’m probably going to regear to 4.88’s but wanted to your advice on gears I should go with. I heard Yukon gears can be pretty noisy. Any suggestions? Does it make sense to Dana gears since the Rubicon comes with Dana 44 axels?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Safe to assume you did not get your Rubicon with 4.10 gears? If not, 4.56 is really the right ratio you should be getting with 35's. 4.88 is a much better fit for 37's. That said, they will give you more power with 35's and a better crawl ratio but you will always be running on the high side of RPM at highway speeds.

As far as brands go, can't really go wrong with Dana. Otherwise, I might go with Revolution.

Yukon makes a great set of gears and if they make noise, it’s purely a setup issue. As far as re-gearing for 35’s I personally think you’d be throwing money away and wouldn’t gain really anything. 4.88’s are gonna be spinning a bit too much for highway use. If anything I’d go 4.56 and call it a day unless of course 37’s or higher are in your future. If you plan to stay on 35’s… spend that money somewhere else.

WJCO

Meme King
Finally lifted my 2020 Jeep JL Rubicon. I went with 2.5 inch Metal Cloak Game Changer lift. I’m running 35x12.50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I’m probably going to regear to 4.88’s but wanted to your advice on gears I should go with. I heard Yukon gears can be pretty noisy. Any suggestions? Does it make sense to Dana gears since the Rubicon comes with Dana 44 axels?
As Eddie asked, what's your current ratio? And as resurectionjk stated, on 35s, that's a lot of money to throw away.

For years, I've run 35s on a 3.6jt with 4.10s and 35s on a 2.0jl with 3.whatevers and both are fine on 35s.

thepboverlanderz

Thanks for the advice. My Jeep actually did come with the 4.10 gear ratio however I do a lot of overlanding (steel front and rear bumpers, roof rack, rooftop tent, fridge, and gear so I’m somewhat heavy. Even when I pull the tent off and remove the fridge my gas mileage is horrible and I feel like I’ve lost the power the Jeep once had. Does any of that matter when it comes to the 4.56 or 4.88 decision?

Have you recalibrated your speedometer? That’s a pretty drastic drop from 15 so that’s what I’m asking. The jeep is gonna struggle with all that weight regardless and re-gearing will only help you get moving, it won’t do shit once you’re going. Aside from taking off from a light, pulling long hills or passing someone they won’t do much to help offset the weight. Once that mass is moving, it’s fairly irrelevant.

If you haven’t recalibrated, do that first and then just watch how you’re driving it. Are you daily driving with a full overland load that you only use one a month? If it’s important to you, I’d be ditching anything I don’t absolutely need when I’m just cruising around town, going to work, running errands etc.

thepboverlanderz

Have you recalibrated your speedometer? That’s a pretty drastic drop from 15 so that’s what I’m asking. The jeep is gonna struggle with all that weight regardless and re-gearing will only help you get moving, it won’t do shit once you’re going. Aside from taking off from a light, pulling long hills or passing someone they won’t do much to help offset the weight. Once that mass is moving, it’s fairly irrelevant.

If you haven’t recalibrated, do that first and then just watch how you’re driving it. Are you daily driving with a full overland load that you only use one a month? If it’s important to you, I’d be ditching anything I don’t absolutely need when I’m just cruising around town, going to work, running errands etc.
No I haven’t recalibrated the speedometer so I’ll try that next. The car is actually my daily driver. And yes I strip it down when I’m not camping.

Just to add my 2cents, I'd pass on gearing if you have 4.10's and 35's unless you plan on 37's in the near future. You could do 4.56's as it would be better for sure but a lot of money to just jump one ratio. We also recommend jumping at least two ratios to make it worth while.

Base on my experiences with Yukon, I'd suggest sticking with Spicer or Revolution gear kits. We have found Yukon's to have bad tolerances, weird setup patterns and kits comping with mix-matched parts meaning Koyo bearings with Timken races or visa versa. This could be missed if your installer isn't looking.

thepboverlanderz

Just to add my 2cents, I'd pass on gearing if you have 4.10's and 35's unless you plan on 37's in the near future. You could do 4.56's as it would be better for sure but a lot of money to just jump one ratio. We also recommend jumping at least two ratios to make it worth while.

Base on my experiences with Yukon, I'd suggest sticking with Spicer or Revolution gear kits. We have found Yukon's to have bad tolerances, weird setup patterns and kits comping with mix-matched parts meaning Koyo bearings with Timken races or visa versa. This could be missed if your installer isn't looking.
Any recommendations on who sells the Spicer Regear kit? I keep finding the ring and pinion but not a complete regear kit.

Awesome! Thanks again.
You will immediately feel more pep in your step. Less boggy feeling when accelerating from a stop.

I had the calibration done by a dealership since for some reason my fat hands were not able to get the security bypass connectors to disconnect under the dash (and it was like 115 degrees in the garage). But what really motivated me was Eddie saying that settings should be returned to blessed "factory" settings before taking the Jeep to the dealership for repair, and the speedo changes done by the dealership are blessed and permanent just like original "factory" settings. So maybe it makes sense to get the blessed settings mostly there before installing a security bypass to fine-tune.

thepboverlanderz

I took your advice and had my speedometer recalibrated yesterday and damn it’s made a world of difference. I got so much power back and the gas mileage has already started going back up. Thanks again Resurectionjk! By the way wasn’t sure if I mentioned in my original post but my Jeep is a six speed manual as well.

I took your advice and had my speedometer recalibrated yesterday and damn it’s made a world of difference. I got so much power back and the gas mileage has already started going back up. Thanks again Resurectionjk! By the way wasn’t sure if I mentioned in my original post but my Jeep is a six speed manual as well.
If you did I didn’t catch that so that does make a bit more sense. I’d drive it as is for a bit and just see what you get back.

The cost to regear is hard to offset with fuel savings just because if you really get down to it… over the course of a tank of gas maybe it’s a 40-50 mile loss which sounds like a lot in the context of one tank…. But if you think about it in multiple tanks, it would take 5-6 tanks of gas for that loss to add up to one extra tank. Depending on how often you’re filling up every month that could be quite a long time before you see a return on the investment of a re-gear. If you want some power back, totally different story but fuel savings really shouldn’t be your metric.
Glad you got some of it back with the reprogramming. Good luck going forward 🍺🤘

Top Bottom