Riddle Me This

kevman65

Hooked
Getting parts ordered to go with a 3" lift on a `20 JT Rubicon.

Are drive shafts a concern at 3"?
No, I don't have anything extreme in mind going off road.

If they are a concern, can I get by with OEM while waiting for new ones to be built after taking measurements?

I would assume it’d be fine - for a while anyway, especially if you don’t wheel it very much or very hard. At the very least, I’d probably get a spacer for the carrier bearing for the rear shaft, and wait to replace the front for when it starts chucking grease, if it even does.

How big of tire are you planing to go with? If it’s a 37 or 38 you can get away with a 2” or 2.5” lift if you wanna keep the cost down and don’t plan to wheel it hard. Just gotta be bump stopped correctly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Getting parts ordered to go with a 3" lift on a `20 JT Rubicon.

Are drive shafts a concern at 3"?
No, I don't have anything extreme in mind going off road.

If they are a concern, can I get by with OEM while waiting for new ones to be built after taking measurements?
Rear, no. Front, only if you plan on doing some big flexing and even then, only after doing it for some time. Based on what I'm hearing from you, no.

kevman65

Hooked
Rear, no. Front, only if you plan on doing some big flexing and even then, only after doing it for some time. Based on what I'm hearing from you, no.
Thanks.

Yeah my "extreme" off roading is getting to fishing and hunting spots. No serious flexing, no rock humping. Will get twisted up some, probably get stuck in some muddy ruts through the hills and valleys.

kevman65

Hooked
I would assume it’d be fine - for a while anyway, especially if you don’t wheel it very much or very hard. At the very least, I’d probably get a spacer for the carrier bearing for the rear shaft, and wait to replace the front for when it starts chucking grease, if it even does.

How big of tire are you planing to go with? If it’s a 37 or 38 you can get away with a 2” or 2.5” lift if you wanna keep the cost down and don’t plan to wheel it hard. Just gotta be bump stopped correctly.

3" lift and 37's are my max.

Was planning on the carrier bearing spacer.

kevman65

Hooked
Carrier bearing spacer, safe to run without it on the pavement for awhile?

It's on back order 🤪 and if it's okay to run without it and put it on later then that's what I'll do.
If not I'll wait and do everything at once.

3" Rock Krawler lift. Already been told that it's probably gonna be a stiff ride.

Honestly and like we’ve previously mentioned, you’ll probably be just fine.

What I would do at that height is look at the CB spacer, control arms, track bar relocation or replacement, and a drag link flip - but only after a good amount of time wheeling it.

jeeeep

Hooked
Carrier bearing spacer, safe to run without it on the pavement for awhile?

It's on back order 🤪 and if it's okay to run without it and put it on later then that's what I'll do.
If not I'll wait and do everything at once.

3" Rock Krawler lift. Already been told that it's probably gonna be a stiff ride.
it's just a piece of bar, I'd make one out of some thick aluminum (stack if needed).
For stuff like this, also a fan of Ace Hardware to fab (rig) up a solution, couple of steel spacers and longer bolts.

Top Bottom