Suspension Advise

Why1504

Caught the Bug
I have a 2023 392XR I purchased back in March. I have made several mods to my 392. The mods which have impacted the vehicle weight include under seat ABR air compressor, LOD sliders, rear bumper delete, winch up front, and interior sound dreading. As my Jeep already came with 35 inch tires, at this point I am not interested in lifting it any higher.

Here is my issue, on dirt roads traveling faster than 20mph if I hit washboard a small pothole, or a bump larger than about 6-8 inches it is violent. On the streets speed bumps above 10 mph feels like I hit a wall. Other than this I am happy with how the Jeep drives and handles. I am 65 and my girlfriend is 60. We travel in the Jeep and go off road. She is only 5’4”if the Jeep is lifted any higher, she wI’ll have real issues climbing in. We don’t really do any rock crawling. We stay on low to medium difficulty trails.

How do I address this? Replace the shocks? Bump stops? springs? All these parts? Other suspension components? With the 392 having the extreme recon package and already being lifted what is my best alternative to source these parts.

As I am just now beginning to plan this modification, any help here would be helpful. I would like to address this for around $3000 - $5000. However, if necessary and it’s justified, I can go higher.

Thanks in Advance!!

I recall that Eddie found that the front up-travel before hitting the bump-stops is less than normal on the 392. He shortened his bump-stops a bit (with great care). Check if the "hitting the wall" experience is when the axel is hitting the bump-stops.

If the extra weight is causing sagging, then perhaps a leveling kit or different springs is the solution.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things here. First off and as mentioned, an 8" bump is a pretty big bump especially for factory suspension. Second, the 392, XR and even diesel ALL have much taller bump stop towers up front and this leaves you with very very little up travel. Here's a shot of what you should be seeing on your 392

Screenshot 2023-11-30 063844.png

It's really dumb but in spite of the fact that your Jeep comes with a small lift, this limitation is added to help keep your control arms out of your engine. You can see more about what I'm talking about here:

Stiffer shocks can help to minimize the hits but won't eliminate the problem. Being that you don't want to go any taller, slowing down for 8" bumps or ruts is gonna be your best bet to preventing the hard hits.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a 2023 392XR I purchased back in March. I have made several mods to my 392. The mods which have impacted the vehicle weight include under seat ABR air compressor, LOD sliders, rear bumper delete, winch up front, and interior sound dreading. As my Jeep already came with 35 inch tires, at this point I am not interested in lifting it any higher.

Here is my issue, on dirt roads traveling faster than 20mph if I hit washboard a small pothole, or a bump larger than about 6-8 inches it is violent. On the streets speed bumps above 10 mph feels like I hit a wall. Other than this I am happy with how the Jeep drives and handles. I am 65 and my girlfriend is 60. We travel in the Jeep and go off road. She is only 5’4”if the Jeep is lifted any higher, she wI’ll have real issues climbing in. We don’t really do any rock crawling. We stay on low to medium difficulty trails.

How do I address this? Replace the shocks? Bump stops? springs? All these parts? Other suspension components? With the 392 having the extreme recon package and already being lifted what is my best alternative to source these parts.

As I am just now beginning to plan this modification, any help here would be helpful. I would like to address this for around $3000 - $5000. However, if necessary and it’s justified, I can go higher.

Thanks in Advance!!

Take a look at Rock Slide Engineering's step slider; I "temporarily" replaced the LOD sliders on my JLU with the RSE step slider and haven't swapped back to the LOD, the RSE's have held up well on the trail.

Top Bottom