Valve cover gasket

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately while changing a valve cover casket on the passenger side one of the bolts snapped of flush.

Currently I put the other seven in and torqued them. Luckily the one that snapped was in the middle bottom. Easy to get to and easy to keep an eye on it.

These are a pain in the rear to change on the 3.8 liter. I did the driver side first with no issues. Other than having to remove the PCV Valve hose (which I also replaced along with the PCV valve), alternator bracket, remove the spark plug wires, the coil pack, the coil pack mount and then try to find the right angle to get it out and back in. I hate engineers.

The passenger side was less to deal with other then the spark plug wire tray. It wasn’t hard just a pain in the butt. I pulled the cover back off and found it broke flush on the head. At this point it was 1 am, I said with the heck with it put the seven bolts back in and the eight hole I filled with high temp RTV.

I figured I will watch it over the next few days. If it does not leak, I am going to let it be and not worry about it. If it does leak, then plan (b) get it drilled/extracted out or get some one to weld a nut to it to back it out.

What do you all think?

I think it should be fine with seven bolts applying downward pressure.

Last edited:
Reverse drill bit, Easy out. If you're lucky you can turn it with a couple picks. Tack weld a nut onto it. It might be fine, it might dribble, but it would drive me nuts knowing it isn't right. Im not ocd about much on a jeep, but the engine gets proper attention and torques.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm about to change the valve cover gaskets as well and while my OCD would kick in, at 1am I'd do what you did until I calm down and can deal with it under a better "thinking" hour.

I wouldn't leave it for too long, the leak could be a gusher

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Well, it has been almost a week and no leaks at all. Dry as can be. I think I am going to leave it alone for now. I did buy all brand new bolts if I do need to pull it back off.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
My plan is, if it does need to be replaced then I will weld a roll pin to the shank of the bolt through the center of the roll pin. and then use a pair of vice grips to back it out.

desertrunner

My plan is, if it does need to be replaced then I will weld a roll pin to the shank of the bolt through the center of the roll pin. and then use a pair of vice grips to back it out.
when I had an exhaust manifold bolt broke flush to the head on my 5.7 a buddy came over and helped me weld a nut to it then back it out. same concept and worked like a charm. seemed like more often than not the people that tried to use an easy out or a reverse drill bit snapped a piece of it off and went to the welder instead so I think you're on the right track.

Top Bottom