Winch Recommendations

Sgt_USMC

I was wondering if y’all have any input on winches (I’m sure there is). I’m likely going to get a Badland 9500 or 12k one to have just in case until I can afford to get a good one. I was looking at the Warn 9.5 anyone have another recommendation or input on this decision?

The badlands would in no way be permanent. It’s just a stop gap since it will likely be a few years until I can get a good one.

Sgt_USMC

Can the control box be remote mounted on the zeon? I haven’t done a lot of research into the specific winches yet. Just mainly size 9.5 to 12k range is what I’m looking at. I would like to be able to mount the box elsewhere to keep the front a little cleaner/neat looking. Not a big deal if I can’t though.

Spazbyt

Hooked
Can the control box be remote mounted on the zeon? I haven’t done a lot of research into the specific winches yet. Just mainly size 9.5 to 12k range is what I’m looking at. I would like to be able to mount the box elsewhere to keep the front a little cleaner/neat looking. Not a big deal if I can’t though.
Zeons are about as low profile as you get but Yes, you can remotely locate the controller on a zeon.

Sgt_USMC

Nice! Thanks for the input @Spazbyt I have been told by other TJ owners that having a winch doesn’t hurt the cooling ability, but I would rather err on the side of caution and leave as much as I can open for air flow.

Sgt_USMC

@JT@623 I have a TJ so sinking it into the bumper isn’t an option like the JK/JL/JT.

@CalSgt That’s a good point. I just figured it would be a good idea to have one until then. Then again I pretty stupid of me to do anything technical without someone else with me.

CalSgt

Hooked
I got my Warn for $1000 still new in the box on Craiglist, guy bought it & wasn't able to fit it on the truck he had.

Lots of mall crawlers out there with practically new never used winches on their bumpers, maybe one of them needs gas money.

jorgelrod

Hooked
What's the verdict on the VR Evo winches from Warn, I'm researching for a future purchase for the Gladiator and I'm still on the fence between the VR EVO and the Zeons just on price alone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What's the verdict on the VR Evo winches from Warn, I'm researching for a future purchase for the Gladiator and I'm still on the fence between the VR EVO and the Zeons just on price alone.
Having seen both in action and on the same obstacles, I can tell you that the ZEONs are way more powerful and a lot faster. The VR will get the job done but on extreme pulls, a snatch block will be helpful to have.

I should also note that I have not seen or heard of a VR failing to work when needed the way I have personally seen other China winches fail.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Having seen both in action and on the same obstacles, I can tell you that the ZEONs are way more powerful and a lot faster. The VR will get the job done but on extreme pulls, a snatch block will be helpful to have.

I should also note that I have not seen or heard of a VR failing to work when needed the way I have personally seen other China winches fail.
Good to know. I'm leaning towards the Zeon, but the VR competitive prices cannot be overlooked, specially when I still have other mods on the list.

sparkchaser1968

I was wondering if y’all have any input on winches (I’m sure there is). I’m likely going to get a Badland 9500 or 12k one to have just in case until I can afford to get a good one. I was looking at the Warn 9.5 anyone have another recommendation or input on this decision?

The badlands would in no way be permanent. It’s just a stop gap since it will likely be a few years until I can get a good one.
There is no question that Warn is the most popular for a reason--they are top notch. I went with an RC 9500 pro and it work like a champ:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a Smittybilt literally get ripped off a bumper during a pull from the cast just breaking apart. WARN's aren't cheap by any means but for me, recovery and safety are something not to save an extra buck on.
Holy hell, that is NOT something I'd want to be around to see :eek:

I would say, it's not that "all" Smittybilt winches or similar China winches are bad, it's just that the quality control on them is so poor that the odds you'll get one is a lot higher than a WARN. I have personally seen more than my fair share of them quit working or not work at all when they were needed the most. Here is just one example of someone that happened to.

Holy hell, that is NOT something I'd want to be around to see :eek:

I would say, it's not that "all" Smittybilt winches or similar China winches are bad, it's just that the quality control on them is so poor that the odds you'll get one is a lot higher than a WARN. I have personally seen more than my fair share of them quit working or not work at all when they were needed the most. Here is just one example of someone that happened to.

Absolutely which is why I think most say “mine has worked fine so far”. They work till they don’t. I have pictures of the break somewhere. I’ll try to find them to add here.

Sgt_USMC

I didn’t plan to keep the badlands winch as a permanent solution, more to have just in case while I save up for the good stuff. However, y’all have brought up some very important points. I do agree that safety and recovery are places that I will not penny pinch. I will just wait and save up to get a Warn 10k or 12k. Thank you all for the input and advise!

Top Bottom