Grand Canyon Trail to the Colorado River & Arizona Route 66

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After extending our Arizona adventures with a side trip out to Sedona, we decided to make our final push back to Southern California by way of Route 66. Starting from Flagstaff, we made our way across the Mother Road, into the Hualapai Indian Nation and it was there that we found ourselves drawn to yet another side trip in the town of Peach Springs. For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, there is a 19 mile trail that starts from here and takes you all the way down to the Colorado River. Known as the Diamond Creek Trail, it is the only road that I know of that takes you to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and really, who can resist a trip like that? Here are pics from our 2nd side trip and long drive back home on Route 66. I hope you enjoy.

Starting our journey back home on a lonely stretch of the Mother Road...
main.php

Stopping over at the old Osterman Gas Station in Peach Springs...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After acquiring our permits at the Hualapai Lodge, we made our way over to the Diamond Creek Trailhead...
main.php

So the sign says...
main.php

Cool rusting structure just past the trailhead...
main.php

Making our way down into the Grand Canyon...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Friendly burro that came to greet us along the way...
main.php

Did I mention that he was REALLY REALLY friendly...
main.php

After saying goodbye to our new four legged friend, we continued our way down into the canyon...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Coming up on the first of several small but nice water crossings...
main.php

Diamond Creek starting to look more like a flowing creek...
main.php

This length of trail was all through the creek...
main.php

At last, the cool waters of the Colorado River down at the bottom of the Grand Canyon...
main.php

Standing at the point where Diamond Creek empties into the Colorado River and looking west down the rapids...
main.php

Moby posing for a shot along the shores of the Colorado...
main.php

On a beach up river looking back down at Moby parked next to a couple of rafts...
main.php

Tessa jumping in to the cold waters to have some fun...
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After spending a few hours relaxing down by the river, we headed back out to Route 66 and made our way over to Kingman where we had an outstanding BBQ dinner over at Redneck's...
main.php

On the road again, we pulled over to climb the steps up to Shaffer Fish Bowl Spring and feed the goldfish in it...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Standing at the Shaffer Fish Bowl Spring looking back at Moby and out across the twisty Route 66...
main.php

Driving slowly through the charming town of Oatman and trying to avoid all the landmines...
main.php

main.php

Shortly after crossing into California, we noticed that Moby was just about to hit a milestone in his life...
main.php

And then it happend, right in front of the school house in the old town of Goffs...
main.php

main.php

main.php

And that was the end of our Arizona adventures. I hope you enjoyed following along with us on our trip. If you would like to see all the pics we took along the way, simply click on the link below:

Grand Canyon Trail to the Colorado River & Arizona Route 66 Photo Gallery

:cool:

GCM 2

So very cool!

I am so glad that you and Cindy continued onward with the AZ Adventure after we parted ways in PHX. Looks like you guys had some good times checking off a couple of the "must see" places. Next time we hit the southeast corner (Bisbee, Tombstone, Amado) :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am so glad that you and Cindy continued onward with the AZ Adventure after we parted ways in PHX. Looks like you guys had some good times checking off a couple of the "must see" places. Next time we hit the southeast corner (Bisbee, Tombstone, Amado) :thumb:

for sure!! hitting up the southeast corner would be awesome :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Another great set!

I've noticed the worse my day is, the longer I'm tempted to spend on here looking at yours and others' adventures. Nothing like looking at these while sitting in an office working on a crappy project. :naw:

Thanks for sharing! It gives me (and I assume others) something to add to the list and to look forward to doing one day, but in the meantime...it helps break up an otherwise tedious day. :yup:

asbury1031

Wow

I have to say you guys go to the most beautiful places. I really hope to one day drive out west and see all that is out there and wheel along the way. One of the many things on my Bucket List . Keep up the wheeling and I'm sure Moby has many many more miles to go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed the worse my day is, the longer I'm tempted to spend on here looking at yours and others' adventures. Nothing like looking at these while sitting in an office working on a crappy project. :naw:

Thanks for sharing! It gives me (and I assume others) something to add to the list and to look forward to doing one day, but in the meantime...it helps break up an otherwise tedious day. :yup:

:cheesy: well, I'm glad to know that we help keep you from doing work :D

Man that looks like an adventure I'd love to do! Thanks for sharing those are some pretty sweet pictures and what a great way to stop and smell the coffee instead of having to rush home! :rock:

yeah, being gone longer made catching up harder but really, it was totally worth it. :yup:

I have to say you guys go to the most beautiful places. I really hope to one day drive out west and see all that is out there and wheel along the way. One of the many things on my Bucket List . Keep up the wheeling and I'm sure Moby has many many more miles to go.

very cool - i hope it happens for you sooner than later.

htweelz

Wow OK next time we go out we are not flying :doh: we are driving our Jeep out so we can have some fun.:rock:

KernHydro

Man it most be nice to wheel that often! I always look forword to your run reports.

Last edited:

Drumr90

Thats just amazing eddie that ya still got all original , trans, transfer case( just assuming) and engine.

JandSJK

Looks like an awsome side trip. That metal structure is an old wigwam burner. Sawmills used to use them to get rid of there waste wood and bark. not sure if that was what that one was use for. They used to be all over the place here in oregon but most have been torn donw in the name of safety and whatnot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like an awsome side trip. That metal structure is an old wigwam burner. Sawmills used to use them to get rid of there waste wood and bark. not sure if that was what that one was use for. They used to be all over the place here in oregon but most have been torn donw in the name of safety and whatnot.

a wigwam burner? never heard the term or knew what it was for but, i have seen a few of these up in northern most regions of california. very interesting, thanks for teaching me something new :thumb:

Gary Palms2Pines

I planning a similar trip at the end of the month. I've been doing some on line research about using the Diamond Trail. Some report "camping fees" of $37.+ per person. Does anyone know if this is also the "day use" fee? Seems a little steep to me.

Top Bottom