Arb locker repair/rebuild

GulfCoastJeeper

Let me start by saying I have never dove into the realm of differentials or lockers before but according to an Offroad shop my rear arb locker issues are due to the bonded seal going bad or having trash in it. Anyways I have been convinced its semi easy to change myself but wanted to know what all I need to mark, remove, etc to replace it. Don't want the labor cost for a $12 seal if I can help it. I know to keep the shims in the same place/side but anything else to be wary of?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest worry is getting it all back in with the same backlash and wear pattern. While nothing "should" change, it's still something a reputable shop would check for and address upon reassembly.

GulfCoastJeeper

That's really my debate upon fixing it myself vs having a shop do it. It's just a lot of labor cost to replace a seal. Kinda the same as the inner axle seals in the front.$6 part. Lot of labor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's really my debate upon fixing it myself vs having a shop do it. It's just a lot of labor cost to replace a seal. Kinda the same as the inner axle seals in the front.$6 part. Lot of labor

How much are you being quoted? Shouldn't be anywhere close to a gear install.

David1tontj

Do you have a dial indicator? If you do and you have the magnetic base for it, you could check your backlash when you pull it out. You won't be moving the pinion, so the wear pattern really shouldn't change if you get it in with the same backlash. But I'm with wayoflife that it should be way cheaper than a gear install. If you do it yourself are you ready to deal with any issues that might come up? Possibly have a friend that has done r&p work? Just make sure everything is in the right spot, use loctite, and properly torque everything. I personally would not do it without my dial indicator set up. Something as small as torquing down one side of the carrier before the other can make a slight difference. Call around and get a couple quotes before diving into it. Good luck!

rtguy1

The biggest worry is getting it all back in with the same backlash and wear pattern. While nothing "should" change, it's still something a reputable shop would check for and address upon reassembly.

i'm with wol on this one. lotta money in there. you wanna be sure its reassembled correctly as to not risk destroying more parts. it could end up costing you in parts and much more labor

familytime2

Rebuilt our front arb,the screws holding the unit together broke,took apart and fixed it.If nothing moves while working on your diff's you should be ok,but if you don't feel right then let a shop take care of it

Serg5000

If all that's happening is he is taking the locker out. Repairing a seal. Then re installing. I'm not understanding what can change that would need a shop to do the work. What I mean is. He is not changing any shimming. He isn't removing the ring gear. I think. If I understand this correctly. Shouldn't he be able to pull it out. Out it back and roll without issue?

GulfCoastJeeper

I haven't got it quoted but I haven't found a quote to be reasonable on anything near here. Some shops wouldn't change my ballpoints because I was on 39s, others quoted me the prices almost the same as the dealer. I finally changed them myself. I'd rather do my own work and yes I'm just taking the locker out replacing the bonded seal and putting it back in

Top Bottom