bad U joint?

seanb123

So recently i have notice when turning left at speed their is a pop in what seams to be the front end. Im no expert but im thinking this is either the U joint or ball joint. I had recently taken the coils out to put in new bumpstops. did give some beating on the axels to fit then springs back in. But i think this is unrelated. Any help?

Tranquillity

First I'd check up both bolts of your track bar and make sure they're torqued to spec. From how it happens it really looks like it's the problem. Did you chance something lately? Lift kit maybe?

Second, a worn U joint could do it but I'd mostly characterize it as a "clunk" (metal to metal sound)

RedFox

Check your track bar brackets, both front and rear and both axle and Frame side. I had the same symptoms (popping metal noise when turning left at speed). Turned out that my rear track bar bracket, axle side, was broken and my axle was trying to get away from underneath me!

jeeeep

Hooked
So recently i have notice when turning left at speed their is a pop in what seams to be the front end. Im no expert but im thinking this is either the U joint or ball joint. I had recently taken the coils out to put in new bumpstops. did give some beating on the axels to fit then springs back in. But i think this is unrelated. Any help?

make sure your coils are seated properly

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it really were your u-joint making that sound, you would be able to see cracks in the bearing caps. But really, the sound you would hear would be more like cracking, not so deep as you have described. More than likely, you are hearing a suspension component shift as others have mentioned. You need to check the torque setting on your bolts like on the track bar.

Moochie

If it really were your u-joint making that sound, you would be able to see cracks in the bearing caps. But really, the sound you would hear would be more like cracking, not so deep as you have described. More than likely, you are hearing a suspension component shift as others have mentioned. You need to check the torque setting on your bolts like on the track bar.

Go back to bed, it's not 8:00 yet.

seanb123

So I got under the jeep track bar seams solid execpt the zerk seams to be gone maybe no grease? But then I checked the u joint gave a good pull on it and it shimmied a little and clicked when shaking it but on the passenger no wiggle room at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I got under the jeep track bar seams solid execpt the zerk seams to be gone maybe no grease? But then I checked the u joint gave a good pull on it and it shimmied a little and clicked when shaking it but on the passenger no wiggle room at all.

Don't get me wrong but, your test is a far cry from verify that the bolts are tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque or more. That is a lot of torque and you cannot simply pull on the track bar to verify this.

FrankenJeeper

Don't get me wrong but, your test is a far cry from verify that the bolts are tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque or more. That is a lot of torque and you cannot simply pull on the track bar to verify this.

125 ft lbs is alot to torque while lying under the jeep lol. When I was re torquing mine last week I thought I'd never hear that "click" lol

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

seanb123

I'm sure that wasn't a proper test but I haven't messed with the track bar since I put the lift on maybe a year ago. But is their anything weird about u joint wiggling and clicking

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure that wasn't a proper test but I haven't messed with the track bar since I put the lift on maybe a year ago.

Bolts have a way of working themselves loose especially if you wheel your Jeep. A part of routine maintenance is to retorque your bolts.

But is their anything weird about u joint wiggling and clicking

Are we still talking about your track bar? If so, there is no u-joint on a track bar. If not, are you referring to your axle shaft?

seanb123

Bolts have a way of working themselves loose especially if you wheel your Jeep. A part of routine maintenance is to retorque your bolts.

Are we still talking about your track bar? If so, there is no u-joint on a track bar. If not, are you referring to your axle shaft?

Yes I was talking about the axel u joint

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm sure that wasn't a proper test but I haven't messed with the track bar since I put the lift on maybe a year ago. But is their anything weird about u joint wiggling and clicking

Did you loosen all of your control arms and trackbar mounts after installing your coils? This is a necessary step after installing a lift. If you are running stock arms. Just a thought.

Top Bottom