Winch question

A_R_A_W_N

Hey all I have a question about winches. Ive been reading up on pros/cons of the steel cable vs synthetic lines. What makes the cable more ideal vs the synthetic? From what ive read the synthetic is stronger, lighter, and easier to maintain but its costs more. I know most winches come with the steel cable and to upgrade it to synthedic costs roughly 100-200 extra.

So I guess more what im wondering is why run the steel cable vs synthetic? Anyone here run a synthetic line? Just trying to start my list of parts and toys that I will be needing once I get my JKUR

LittleD-Tj

I am running the steel cable but have talked to several with the synthetic rope and they all swear by it. It's just a strong if not stronger, easier to string out cuz not as heavy, and IF it snaps doesn't recoil and cause as much damage. I am wanting to switch over to synthetic rope soon.

Kneece

Hey all I have a question about winches. Ive been reading up on pros/cons of the steel cable vs synthetic lines. What makes the cable more ideal vs the synthetic? From what ive read the synthetic is stronger, lighter, and easier to maintain but its costs more. I know most winches come with the steel cable and to upgrade it to synthedic costs roughly 100-200 extra.

So I guess more what im wondering is why run the steel cable vs synthetic? Anyone here run a synthetic line? Just trying to start my list of parts and toys that I will be needing once I get my JKUR

I have synthetic rope because its much lighter than cable.

Sent by Pony Express

Wizard

Dyneema/synthetic rope for me is so much better than steel cable.

• Lighter on front suspension.
  • Lighter to carry and run out.
  • Doesn't want to curl up when off the drum.
  • Can be thrown into place for a recovery and it stays where it lands.
  • No burrs.
  • Floats.
  • No recoil (mostly drops to ground when breaks).
  • Stronger size for size with steel cable.

I've run both steel and now Dyneema, and I would never go back to steel.

Krieger

One thing to consider with synthetic line
Is that it doesn't last that long, like a few years before it starts to break down from weather and from the sun. That's why you gotta cover it up. Don't get me wrong I'm going to run synthetic my self
One day. But with cable it lasts like 10 times longer.
Just my 2 cents, I'm going on what Mel told me the day I bought mine

Ken

SoCalDozer

another thing no one said is that steel cable is more abrasion resistant. like rubbing across rocks and what not while winching.

Wizard

another thing no one said is that steel cable is more abrasion resistant. like rubbing across rocks and what not while winching.

I got around this abrasion problem by adding about 2 - 3 feet of Cordura sleeve over the end of the dyneema rope, and which can be slid along and into place where the rope is going to run on anything abrasive (rocks etc.).

Wizard

One thing to consider with synthetic line
Is that it doesn't last that long, like a few years before it starts to break down from weather and from the sun. That's why you gotta cover it up. Don't get me wrong I'm going to run synthetic my self
One day. But with cable it lasts like 10 times longer.
Just my 2 cents, I'm going on what Mel told me the day I bought mine

Ken

I did a bit of research recently when asked about the sun effect on the rope, and I found one site which stated that although it's UV stabilized, after 2 year of direct sunlight the rope only retains 80% of its strength.

jkjurny

I got around this abrasion problem by adding about 2 - 3 feet of Cordura sleeve over the end of the dyneema rope, and which can be slid along and into place where the rope is going to run on anything abrasive (rocks etc.).

I need to get this. Where'd you get yours?

Wizard

The sleeve I use is Pirtek D.A.S. (Diffusion abrasion sleeve) which is make out of cordura, and which is normally used to cover hydraulic hoses, so any hydraulic supply outlet should have it.

Because of the heat buildup with the internal brake on my Warn 8000, I also run enough cordura sleeve to cover the first layer of rope on the winch drum, just as added protection.

You can just see the floating piece of cordura wound on the drum in this picture.

WinchComplete023_zpsb64afc2f.jpg

Last edited:

Pushrod

When I bought my winch they only came with or without steel cable so that is what it has always had on it but will probably change to synthetic for the increased strength. Weight wise there really isn't that much difference as far as your jeep is concerned. The rule of thumb for what size winch to buy is 1.5 times the jeep weight.

Serg5000

I'm a steel cable fan. I have been around cranes for about 10 years now and have yet to see one snap. Yes I realize some crane cables are huge. However they aren't all like that. Lots of rigging is cable as well.

The winch I was given came with steel cable. I refuse to change it for something that's not going to hold up do to weather element. Not to mention rope will likely fail more frequent then cable. My thoughts are this. If you take safety percoution and place something over the cable before winching it will eliminate the cable from flying back at ya if it were to fail. Another thing is if my cable failed. I could cut the the end clean and re attach the hook and continue with my recovery. Can you do that with rope. Thinking about it I guess you could just tie a knot around the hook and continue.
For me the savings of 30 lbs of weight isn't enough to get me to fork out $200 or $300 for a rope when I have a perfectly good cable on the drum already. And for those concerned with weight. Yes you may save a few lbs by going rope. But your going to pack enough stuff that the weight savings is rather pointless.

My two cents.

Millerj87

I agree if cable comes on your winch use that til it (if) breaks save that $2-300 on other more needed mods

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

David1tontj

I've had synthetic rope for 9 years! I keep my winch covered and it is always garaged.
One of the biggest reasons I love it is that you don't have to worry about it spooling up correctly, and on long pulls, you can't exactly control that. Unlike a crane that pulls straight into the fair lead and coils perfectly every time, I often winch sideways and the cable overlaps itself in a bad way. This is why my original steel cable broke after only 2 years. I had winched sideways and put a kink in it, then was trying to winch myself back on 4 wheels later that day and it snapped at the weak point dropping me back on my side!
All the other pros that have already been listed are great, mostly not having to wear gloves.
As far as it sliding over rocks, most of the time you are winching yourself so the abrasion point does not have the rope sliding over it. (You are moving towards the rope, not it towards you) If you were winching someone else to you, then it would slide over the rock and you would have damage.
I will also say I have broken a rope and it did whip back. Though it didn't have much energy and therefore wasn't a danger, it still surprised me because I thought it was supposed to drop to the ground.
Long story long, I wouldn't ever go back to cable because I use my winch like crazy and I know I would just kind it again. It would be fine for straight pulls such as on a tow truck or crane, but for offroad use I think it is awesome!

Tranquillity

I've had synthetic rope for 9 years! I keep my winch covered and it is always garaged.
One of the biggest reasons I love it is that you don't have to worry about it spooling up correctly, and on long pulls, you can't exactly control that. Unlike a crane that pulls straight into the fair lead and coils perfectly every time, I often winch sideways and the cable overlaps itself in a bad way. This is why my original steel cable broke after only 2 years. I had winched sideways and put a kink in it, then was trying to winch myself back on 4 wheels later that day and it snapped at the weak point dropping me back on my side!
All the other pros that have already been listed are great, mostly not having to wear gloves.
As far as it sliding over rocks, most of the time you are winching yourself so the abrasion point does not have the rope sliding over it. (You are moving towards the rope, not it towards you) If you were winching someone else to you, then it would slide over the rock and you would have damage.
I will also say I have broken a rope and it did whip back. Though it didn't have much energy and therefore wasn't a danger, it still surprised me because I thought it was supposed to drop to the ground.
Long story long, I wouldn't ever go back to cable because I use my winch like crazy and I know I would just kind it again. It would be fine for straight pulls such as on a tow truck or crane, but for offroad use I think it is awesome!

How long does a synth rope last? I know there are a lot of factor that will affect the rope's durability but for a medium wheeler with some skills so he does not winch himself all over the trail :icon_crazy:

Just curious !

David1tontj

How long does a synth rope last? I know there are a lot of factor that will affect the rope's durability but for a medium wheeler with some skills so he does not winch himself all over the trail :icon_crazy:

Just curious !

I don't know how long they are "supposed" to last, but as I said. Mine has always been covered and garaged. That being said it is still the one I bought 9 years ago. It broke once from a bad winching situation, but there is a simple way to use the same knot that it comes with from the factory to repair it. It's kinda like a Chinese finger trap. So now it's only 70' long. It is still use on a very regular basis and I haven't had any other issues with it since then.

Tranquillity

I don't know how long they are "supposed" to last, but as I said. Mine has always been covered and garaged. That being said it is still the one I bought 9 years ago. It broke once from a bad winching situation, but there is a simple way to use the same knot that it comes with from the factory to repair it. It's kinda like a Chinese finger trap. So now it's only 70' long. It is still use on a very regular basis and I haven't had any other issues with it since then.

Cool ! That's worth every penny then ! Thanks

Top Bottom