Another Locker Question

jbaskin28

Let me start with saying that I've been reading almost every thread on lockers over the last couple days. I was originally going to buy and run the Eaton/Detroit E-Lockers front/rear. But as I read and read on, I found that more people are happier with ARB and they have better reviews, so I changed the plan to ARB's and I'm sure I'll be happier.

My only real concerns, as I haven't found the answers in the threads I read, are below:
1.) Will I need to buy new differential covers (I'm guessing yes, because the air hose runs to/from the locker)?
2.) Do I need a tank for the compressor? Or will I just switch on the compressor when engaging/disengaging?
3.) Anything else that I should know, or would be useful to know?

I bought 4.88 gears (already running 35s) that I will be having installed as well at the same time, and plan on getting Ten Alloy Chromoly axle shafts for the front/rear. I would love to get a pr44 for the front, but i plan on waiting until I really have the money. So for now, upgraded axle shafts, and c gussets (already ordered) and more for my d30 is what I'll have to live with. (i know that everyone says if you're going to do it, do it right the first time. just dont have 4k+ for the pr44)

As far as the install, I was thinking about tackling that giant myself, until i read up on that too. There is one shop that opened locally, and most of his work is on Jeeps. Though I'm not sure how many gear swaps and lockers his shop has installed. There is also a 4 Wheel Parts shop right down the road, so I can schedule with them.

Thanks for the help!

rtguy1

No new diff cover required. No air tank required. I suggest the high output arb compressor though. Seems with the amount you are about to spend on a d30 you will be very close to the pr44. I suggest you live with what you have until you can come up with a little more dough for the whole enchilada. I mean after locker and shafts and install you are easily half way there if not more. And u won't be able to get much for that axle once you upgrade and try to sell. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Atch

No new diff cover required. No air tank required. I suggest the high output arb compressor though. Seems with the amount you are about to spend on a d30 you will be very close to the pr44. I suggest you live with what you have until you can come up with a little more dough for the whole enchilada. I mean after locker and shafts and install you are easily half way there if not more. And u won't be able to get much for that axle once you upgrade and try to sell. Of course, that's just my opinion.

X2....maybe just throw in an auto locker up front until you can afford the pr44.

JKOUTLAW

ARB = All Ready Broken. i cant tell you how often i see these lockers fail. if you have the cash for selectability, go electric. not air. just my opinion.

suicideking

x3

Lock the rear and don't do much to the D30. Maybe gussets. Then run it for a while, save for the PR44 or get a take off Rubi D44 and build that. I opted for the D44 front.

MNTN JK

I locked the rear of my 09 2-dr and left the D30 front open and ran everytrail in the San Bernardino Ca mnts including Mattino Wash. I was affraid of locking the front glad I did not, did not brake anything and a rear locker will be huge for ya....

matt

Caught the Bug
I would take a look at OX lockers, it's a mechanical system. Air, cable, or electric actuated.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I would take a look at OX lockers, it's a mechanical system. Air, cable, or electric actuated.

A very trustworthy fellow I know told me to stay very far from OX Lockers. "They're weaker than the competition with no customer support." He also mentioned a lot of fitment issues. Just my :twocents:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jbaskin28

Thanks for all the help. After the suggestions, I took a look at how much the PR44 was total, and how much I was going to spend on the d30, glad I was pushed away from that idea. Haha. Looks like I am just going to sleeve it and add gussets. I should be able to get the PR44 when I PCS back to the mainland from Hawaii.

From what I've read, ARB seem to be pretty solid. but I've read mixed reviews on all the lockers. IIRC, WOL runs ARBs on his rig and has spoken for them numerous times in most of the posts I've searched through on the subject.

matt

Caught the Bug
A very trustworthy fellow I know told me to stay very far from OX Lockers. "They're weaker than the competition with no customer support." He also mentioned a lot of fitment issues. Just my :twocents:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using WAYALIFE mobile app

What makes them weaker than the competition?

Jeeper Jr.

What makes them weaker than the competition?

JK Forum has a great page on lockers.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/dynatrac-presents-lockers-101

Pretty much, OX lockers have actuation issues. Also, the competition is hard to beat. ARB Lockers, when properly installed are tough to beat in terms of strength. Their only downside is that they require some maintenance to ensure actuation and of course, some means of getting compressed air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvk2YuT7hE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToIzvICvZpI

Detroits just work as they are an auto-locking dif. Installation is simpler and they are also pretty strong. However, since they are always active, they suffer from weird road manners. They make noise when unlocking during corners and are sensitive to tire diameter differences at the ends of the axle. However, they get the job done off the trail just as well.

I'm just passing along what I learned. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Moochie

FYI, the link you posted goes to Project-JK. It is not connected to JK-Forum. It is a web site built, owned and operated by Wayoflife, the owner of this forum (Wayalife). You can go there directly by entering project-jk.com in the address.

CerOf

I'm sure it's out there, but I've never heard of an ARB locker failing except due to an install issue.

Usually the o-ring isn't seated properly, air line routed poorly.

Most break something else first. On a side note, do NOT go with braided steel lines. They are more difficult to repair compared to the normal air lines which are easier to splice.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Donny

x3

Lock the rear and don't do much to the D30. Maybe gussets. Then run it for a while, save for the PR44 or get a take off Rubi D44 and build that. I opted for the D44 front.

Where does one really find D44 front end take-offs. I have yet to see available and if I do find them they are normally a package deal with the rear that I already have. Sorry to rant:doh: Shoulda bought a damn Rubicon and paid the the extra 180 a month.

Donny

Jeeper Jr.

FYI, the link you posted goes to Project-JK. It is not connected to JK-Forum. It is a web site built, owned and operated by Wayoflife, the owner of this forum (Wayalife). You can go there directly by entering project-jk.com in the address.

:doh: I was looking at both sites and got them confused.

Top Bottom