DOT beadlock rims

YKPizzaGuy

So I wanted to switch over to a beadlock rim that is DOT certified...only found a few that say they are..then I came across this set up from B.A.D. Wheels
http://www.badwheelsinc.com/Products.htm

Has anyone run or seen these in real life?

Attachments

• rims1.jpg
    rims1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 326
  • rims2.jpg
    rims2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 326
  • rims3.jpg
    rims3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 324
  • rims4.jpg
    rims4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 327
  • rims5.jpg
    rims5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 329

sean.m.adams33

I got a chance to get a look at these wheels at a shop. Pretty cool design. Internal bead locks and street legal. Not to bad. I would still go for slabs though. But that's just me.

dahreno

Banned
It doesn't matter what people think what's okay , and if the police notice your non DOT approved rims or not . What matters is if you are in an accident , and your insurance co . finds out about your rims , they are not going to pay .What's even worse is if someone is really hurt or dies , especially due to a tire failure , you will probably end up in prison with a manslaughter charge or something like that . I can't believe how many people just think it's okay to run non DOT beadlocks on the street . Why not just run Staun internal beadlocks ?That is what I am going to do as soon as my build is ready . They also lock both sides of the bead .The non DOT approved beadlocks are non approved for a reason . What would you do if a loved one was killed because someone was running non approved rims and just did a crappy job of maintaining the wheels ?. On the other hand , how would you feel if you killed someone because of wheel failure ?Would you say " I can't believe it , my wheel came apart ! " Believe me , that excuse won't keep you out of jail .

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I can't believe how many people just think it's okay to run non DOT beadlocks on the street .

Rant, rant, preach, preach. Wow sir you have a way of making shit extreme.

Is there a potential for failure? Yes.
Would that failure be due to someone failing to maintain their wheels? Yes.

Is there a potential failure to do so on other components of your vehicle? Absolutely.

So all of us running non DOT approved beadlocks on the road are just a bunch of careless lunatics?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what people think what's okay , and if the police notice your non DOT approved rims or not . What matters is if you are in an accident , and your insurance co . finds out about your rims , they are not going to pay .What's even worse is if someone is really hurt or dies , especially due to a tire failure , you will probably end up in prison with a manslaughter charge or something like that . I can't believe how many people just think it's okay to run non DOT beadlocks on the street . Why not just run Staun internal beadlocks ?That is what I am going to do as soon as my build is ready . They also lock both sides of the bead .The non DOT approved beadlocks are non approved for a reason . What would you do if a loved one was killed because someone was running non approved rims and just did a crappy job of maintaining the wheels ?. On the other hand , how would you feel if you killed someone because of wheel failure ?Would you say " I can't believe it , my wheel came apart ! " Believe me , that excuse won't keep you out of jail .

hahahahaha!!! so sensitive!!!

andrew-

dahreno

Banned
So you guys are going to give me a hard time ,That's average . Is what I said untrue ? You guys giving me a hard time , do you run beadlocks on the street ? You are probably right , maybe a rant but , not preaching .Did you think maybe some on here may not know about using beadlocks on the street ? Not everyone is as bright and all knowing as you ! LOL !

hey everyone, if you run beadlocks on the street, make sure you keep your bolts torqued! check them regularly!!!

see, instead of calling them potential murderers, I gave them some good info!

andrew-

hey everyone, if you run beadlocks on the street, make sure you keep your bolts torqued! check them regularly!!!

see, instead of calling them potential murderers, I gave them some good info!

andrew-

Haha he just remained me of some dude on a different forum having a fit because they did a esp kill switch and he said if he lost control and hit a school bus full of a Catholic school kids and the bus catches fire that he will go to jail if they found the kill switch haha

jkjurny

Maybe dahreno went overboard on his rant.

He does have a point that there is a legal risk of running non-DOT wheels. Good point to know, whether the consequences actually come true.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I can't believe how many people wear flat billed hats! Shape your f&$~ing hat! What is wrong with you. You are making me so angry.

Posted by: careless insensitive guy.

Maybe dahreno went overboard on his rant.

He does have a point that there is a legal risk of running non-DOT wheels. Good point to know, whether the consequences actually come true.

sure, totally agree. but that can be said for a lot of mods done to vehicles.

andrew-

jmm176

Anyone that has ever had a 70lb re-cap off an 18 wheeler miss the cab of their truck by inches isn't worried about the 4x4 in front of them whose loving owner crawls under it daily and constantly monitors tire pressure....jus sayin

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
If you off road, re-torque often. :) Have a great day. <3
My next rant will be about Oprah.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Is what I said untrue ?

It's not that what you said is necessarily untrue, it's that it is full of conclusory statements that may or may not be true depending on the circumstances.

For example...

What matters is if you are in an accident , and your insurance co . finds out about your rims , they are not going to pay.

Not necessarily true. What if someone else hits me? Are they not going to pay? No. What if the cause of the accident is me running a red light? Are they not going to pay because I did so with non-dot wheels? No.

Now, if all 24 bolts on a set of ATX slabs come lose (;)) simultaneously and cause your tire to blow, in turn causing you to skid out of control in to a bus load of catholic school children killing them all in a fiery inferno...then yeah, I think there is some room for discussion there. :yup:

The non DOT approved beadlocks are non approved for a reason.

And what reason is that? If you say because they are inherently unsafe I think a lot of people will disagree.

It's not that you don't have a valid point, it's just the way you went about saying it that cause people to react the way they did. Everyone should make an informed decision. Thanks for posting up your opinion. :thumb:

TrailBear

If your not into the extra work of bead locks, take a look at interco birdog rims if your not that hardcore they could be worth while.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
So you guys are going to give me a hard time ,That's average . Is what I said untrue ? You guys giving me a hard time , do you run beadlocks on the street ? You are probably right , maybe a rant but , not preaching .Did you think maybe some on here may not know about using beadlocks on the street ? Not everyone is as bright and all knowing as you ! LOL !

Giving you a hard time? You're basically calling those of us running bead locks (non-DOT approved of course) reckless and dangerous. You surely did rant and you sound like the old man who grunts and shakes his fist and the young whippersnappers who walk on his lawn.

If you are wondering why I seem harsh it's because your sarcasm and quick judgements. I know someone who has been running bead locks for many years WITHOUT killing anyone. MTG has a point, there are many "what if" scenarios but shoot half of the mods most of us do carry a boatload of those.

Consider re-reading your response, drink a beer, and ponder whether you may have come off harsh yourself.

Top Bottom