Another EVO bolt-on coilover question, or two

BBrown626

I have two failed Bilstein 5100's to replace (rear) and a camping trip coming up! I don't want to spend any more money on cheap, non-rebuildable shocks. I may as well put the money toward some coilovers.
I have 35's. Will the kit let me dial in a 3" lift and still have a few inches of up travel available in the rear
I didn't find any pics that show how the rear shocks mount. Do they use the factory upper connection?
I understand they normally chop the rear lower mount and stick on some rock stars. For a lower lift can I keep the factory mounting location or will the misalignment spacers not fit?

Atch

You can set them to the lowest setting which depending on weight is around a 3" lift. The upper mounting location is using the factory mounting location but there is a backing plate the bolts go through also. As far as not using the rock stars I don't have a clue if they would work or not.

I have two failed Bilstein 5100's to replace (rear) and a camping trip coming up! I don't want to spend any more money on cheap, non-rebuildable shocks. I may as well put the money toward some coilovers.
I have 35's. Will the kit let me dial in a 3" lift and still have a few inches of up travel available in the rear
I didn't find any pics that show how the rear shocks mount. Do they use the factory upper connection?
I understand they normally chop the rear lower mount and stick on some rock stars. For a lower lift can I keep the factory mounting location or will the misalignment spacers not fit?

Here is a thread which Eddie did when he was builiding up RubiCAT. He put the bolt on EVO bolt on coilovers for the front and rear.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...K-Unlimited-Rubicon-RubiCAT&highlight=RubiCAT

R/
Will

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

You should really use the rockstars. It give the proper alignment for the coilovers. It's also figured in with the bump stops.

BBrown626

I'm Chris, so I'll answer! The upper factory mounting location has a bracket you install to beef up the mount. It keeps the coilover in the factory shock mounting location.

Thanks.

Do you know the specs for the collapsed and extended length of the shocks? Trying to get a feel for how much up travel I would have available if set at 3" of lift. On the King site the Performance 12" coil-overs have a compressed length of 19.585". I am sitting at 21.5" w/3" lift. Moving the lower mount up 1.5" with the Rockstars would put me at about 20" between the mounts at my desired ride height, so fitting the coil-overs in there isn't possible.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks.

Do you know the specs for the collapsed and extended length of the shocks? Trying to get a feel for how much up travel I would have available if set at 3" of lift. On the King site the Performance 12" coil-overs have a compressed length of 19.585". I am sitting at 21.5" w/3" lift. Moving the lower mount up 1.5" with the Rockstars would put me at about 20" between the mounts at my desired ride height, so fitting the coil-overs in there isn't possible.

We have King build these to EVO spec. The shocks are not available off the shelf.

snopro

Banned
Thanks, but that thread does not show details of the mounts. I thought Mel had a picture thread, but I can't find it.

How much weight are you running with all your gear and any armor on the rear? I ask because you may have to run stiffer upper to keep the slider from contacting on large bumps. Also suggest to install better sliders right away and get rid of the plastic ones

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
How much weight are you running with all your gear and any armor on the rear? I ask because you may have to run stiffer upper to keep the slider from contacting on large bumps. Also suggest to install better sliders right away and get rid of the plastic ones

Isn't that the point of a dual rate coil? To use it?

Also you do not need to replace the king sliders. We never swap them out. As a matter of fact. EVO1 just raced the Reno to Vegas race with them!

snopro

Banned
Isn't that the point of a dual rate coil? To use it?

Also you do not need to replace the king sliders. We never swap them out. As a matter of fact. EVO1 just raced the Reno to Vegas race with them!

Yeah hes just kinda stuck in that have to run stiffer and loose some of the smooth ride. My 2 dr rides a lot smooth and less "sprung" when hitting bumps.
I think the 4 doors when preload is increased and running armor and stiffer springs, the ride is smoother. We are changing out springs to try to improve it. That's great on the plastic sliders. I know when I helped out a factory team when we used to run dual rate springs we would also run the plastic ones, but also we would be taking them on and off inspecting them. I only recommend a better slider for those people that are less likely to inspect and look at suspension complements.
I'm not at all saying King sliders are totally garbage but they are In fact can be improved. That's why we as Jeepers and gear heads changing things.

snopro

Banned
I guess I'll call tomorrow to discuss. It is very hard getting details about the kit or straight answers.

Mine are set close to 3.5 inch height and I'm running no rear armor on my rear panels, alum tire carrier with a 39 and a non beadlock rim. Very light rear lower bumper. I am able to run what comes stock setup from EVO and rides pretty smooth.

snopro

Banned
I guess I'll call tomorrow to discuss. It is very hard getting details about the kit or straight answers.

My friend is running EVO rear panels, EVO carrier, ATX slabs with 40's and had to go heavier spring because he was contacting his slider and was set at 4.5 inches I believe. At the same time he changed out his sliders to an aftermaket style to stop the squeaky noise

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
My friend is running EVO rear panels, EVO carrier, ATX slabs with 40's and had to go heavier spring because he was contacting his slider and was set at 4.5 inches I believe. At the same time he changed out his sliders to an aftermaket style to stop the squeaky noise

When was it contacting the secondary ?

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I can have him PM you but when he was hitting some of larger holes and would cycle the spring enough to make contact. Ill have to ask if the stock slider was hitting or if it was AGM one.

That's not bad thing, depending how you have the timing rings set up. I have mine about 1/2" away from the slider at ride height. I'm always into the secondary.

BBrown626

I spoke to Mel today and he said at 3" of lift I would have 3.5" up-travel available. Is that enough for a decent ride on a rough trail?
I don't plan to blitz the whoops, just looking for a better ride on the trail and in the rocks.

snopro

Banned
I spoke to Mel today and he said at 3" of lift I would have 3.5" up-travel available. Is that enough for a decent ride on a rough trail?
I don't plan to blitz the whoops, just looking for a better ride on the trail and in the rocks.

Mine is about 3.25-3.5 and I run speedbumps and I feel it's nice.

Top Bottom