Question: 37x12.5 compaired to 13.5

JK's JK

Banned
So I'll hopefully be selling my 35x12.5x17 tires and rotating to 37" tires. Now I've read a little bit between the difference of 12.5 to 13.5 tires. I hear the back spacing has to except the wider tires. You guys have insight?

JK's JK

Banned
Reading a little bit more into this it seems you might need a 1.25" wheel spacing in order for 13.5" to fit the 5.25" spacing. But would this be hard on the parts for the wheel to be further out and look weird as well?......To far out.

**Edit**

Found one of my answers...

Q: What are wheel spacers?
A: Wheel spacers are rings measuring 1.25"~1.5" thick, are typically made out of billet aluminum and are designed to be sandwiched in between your Jeep's axles and wheels. By installing wheel spacers, you will effectively reduce the amount of back spacing your wheels have allowing you to install wider than stock tires without having to replace your factory wheels.

Q: Are wheel spacers safe to use or do they cause extra stress on your axle or wheel bearings?
A: High quality wheelspacers, the kind that bolt up to your axle first are no more dangerous or cause any more stress to your axles then would a wheel with less backspacing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about and I have yet to hear a single good or specific explanation as to exactly how they are worse. Just to be clear, the cheap-o spacers (the kind that you can get at PepBoys and are sandwiched between your wheel and axle using the existing wheel studs) are in fact EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. These cheap-o spacers leave little thread for your lug nuts to hold onto and can fail. DO NOT USE THESE!

Last edited:

Atch

Reading a little bit more into this it seems you might need a 1.25" wheel spacing in order for 13.5" to fit the 5.25" spacing. But would this be hard on the parts for the wheel to be further out and look weird as well?......To far out.

No it won't look weird. A lot if people run 3.5" of back spacing. The further out the tires are the harder it will be on your parts. It's just the nature of the beast. If you wheel your jeep you will probably want to get different wheels to get to 3.5" of backspace. My 13.5" wide tires rub my frame slightly with 3.5" of backspace so you would have issues with only 4".

JK's JK

Banned
No it won't look weird. A lot if people run 3.5" of back spacing. The further out the tires are the harder it will be on your parts. It's just the nature of the beast. If you wheel your jeep you will probably want to get different wheels to get to 3.5" of backspace. My 13.5" wide tires rub my frame slightly with 3.5" of backspace so you would have issues with only 4".

I'm confused with this back spacing talk. There is a image on the newbie posting about back spacing and I am trying my best to figure it out.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2180-JK-FAQ-Answers-to-the-Questions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

I'd like to measure the back spacing prop.

Serg5000

I have wheels with a 4.5" back space. I was running 35" KM2's. when I went up to 37" Toyo's. I needed a set of wheel spacers measured 1.5" so that my tires wouldn't rub on the inside.

Indefatigable

Are you staying with the same tire make and model?

If changing, you may want to check out the specs from the mfg website as all tires are not equal.

ie, I am running a 37x12.5R15 PBR on 15x8 and they are taller and wider than a buddy with Toyos 37x13.5R17 on a 17x9

Top Bottom