Backspace/Tierod

Rebel JK

Looking at a few options for a new tie rod and the max backspace one Im looking at is 4.5". There is a small lip on the rim that sticks out or away from the tire that is about 1/4". Following the steps on project JK, I'm measuring from the wheel backside mounting surface and to this outer lip and its 4-3/4". Should I be measuring to the actual flat side of the rim? This would be the edge in conflict with the rod ends I would think. If so I would be good at 4.5". Has anyone been running the RK alum? Is it as legit as they say? Thanks

Tcdawg

RK Aluminum Tie Rod is definitely as good as advertised. Been running mine for almost 2 years and have beat up and it's still straight. Love it.

Prime8

No issues with the RK aluminum tie rod. Had the same one in my 2010 and now on my 2013. Adjusting it isn't easy, but I haven't ever had to adjust mine... Once you initially set it up, you shouldn't have to adjust it after that.

Tcdawg

Rebel JK said:
How much hassle is it to adjust? It looks like you need to drop the ends off the knuckles?

You do have to drop an end. Depending on your wheel backspacing it can be a little bit of a pain, because you also have to take a wheel off. With my 3" BS I don't have to do that.

I set mine last Jan 2012 and just reset the toe about a month ago. Not something you have to do all the time.

Rebel JK

Take a look at the tierod from ruff stuff. Bad ass. 1.5" Dom tube and offset gm 1 ton tre's. only $135 too.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TREOFFK.html

Thanks for the tip on this one. I sent an email to see if it will work with my 4-3/4" backspace and stock knuckles. If it will work, I'll probably order the inserts as well just in case I need to drill the knuckles out. The RK alum is nice, but they recomend for 4-1/2" BS max, and I'm not ready to drop the extra coin for some good spacers right now. If the ruffstuff wont work, as much as I'd like to go with the RK alum, I may need to go with the poly syn kit which works with my current setup.

Rebel JK

Ordered up the ruffstuff kit. 1-1/2" Dom with 1 ton tre's should do it. For the price its worth trying out.

Top Bottom