Winch weight

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Depends on if its a 2 door or 4 door and the mods you have done to it. If its a build up 4 door (new f/r bumper, winch, tires, etc etc) a 12,000 is a highly recommended. A built 2 door can prob get away with 9,000

Sent from my iPhone

Webe

Unless you are buried over tires in mud a 9k can do almost all of your wenching needs. I would recomend a snatch block for the just in case. There is little differance for the price though. So.........

Spartan

Depends on if its a 2 door or 4 door and the mods you have done to it. If its a build up 4 door (new f/r bumper, winch, tires, etc etc) a 12,000 is a highly recommended. A built 2 door can prob get away with 9,000

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks it will be on a well built JKUR.

Rollincoal420

If its a build up 4 door (new f/r bumper, winch, tires, etc etc) a 12,000 is a highly recommended. A built 2 door can prob get away with 9,000

Sent from my iPhone

R jk's really that heavy? The vast majority Jeepers run 8 & 9k winches with out n e issues.

I run an 8k as do most everyone in the local club. Those that don't run 9k winches. U would b fine with either. The heavier the winch, typically, the shower the winch. Most people say they don't care about winch speed as long as it gets them out, while I agree to this somewhat, it would b nice to not have to stop so often to let the winch catch up. To avoid running it over. If ur spending the money, y not factor in the line speed too. Just my thoughts on it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
R jk's really that heavy? The vast majority Jeepers run 8 & 9k winches with out n e issues.

I run an 8k as do most everyone in the local club. Those that don't run 9k winches. U would b fine with either. The heavier the winch, typically, the shower the winch. Most people say they don't care about winch speed as long as it gets them out, while I agree to this somewhat, it would b nice to not have to stop so often to let the winch catch up. To avoid running it over. If ur spending the money, y not factor in the line speed too. Just my thoughts on it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

One thing Eddie has said in the past that you should get a winch double the weight of the jeep just for safety purposes. It's just a good rule of thumb

Sent from my iPhone

KPM171

The rule of thumb is 2.5x the weight of your rig. JKU's are approx 4,000lbs x 2.5 = 10,000lb winch. The 2 doors would probably be fine with an 8,000 - 9,000 lb winch.

StrizzyChris

I read somewhere that 4x the weight of the rig is best! ;)

In all seriousness, a good 9K winch should be able to get you through just about anything you can throw at it. Of course a 12K has that much more power, but I have no fears of what my warn 9.5ti cant get me through :twocents:

Wizard

I have an old 8000 lb Warn which has been pulling my overweight 4by and trailer out of trouble for the last few years. When I bought my JK this year I had no hesitation in pulling it off my old vehicle and fitting it to this new one. I'm sure it will do the job for me no worries, however I will use a snatch block for the tougher pulls.

As a few have said, if you can afford one of the higher rated winches, then go with it, but if money is an issue then don't worry too much, an 8 or 9K winch will do the job.

Better to have it and not want it, than want it and not have it.

Last edited:

rtguy1

i went back and forth for a while on this topic and settled on a 10k warn. i have a 2door but considered the need to help out others who may be running overweight pigs. As mentioned anything at 8k+ will do the job.

Top Bottom