Air Compressor questions

Spartan

With so many Air Compressors out their it's hard to pick one. I have use many different types and brands that other people that I have been wheeling with have had, and the under the hood ARB seams to be the best of the small ones that I have used. I think I have to narrowed down to 4 air compressors, but have only used the under the hood ARB and I has only seen that used once. If anyone is running or has used the air compressors below. What do you think are the Pro's and Con's of them. Also if I you know of an air compressor that might be better please let me know.

VIAIR 40043 Viair 400P
ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor
ARB Portable Twin Air Compressor
ARB Under Hood Air Compressor

It will be for a JKUR with 35's. I might go to 37's. I would like to be able to air up my tires on other peoples tires without having to wait for the compressor to cool down(this isn't a must, but would be nice Unsure if I will run air tools or air lockers at some point.

Rollincoal420

I personally don't own n e the ones u listed, but just throwing this out there. It's rated to contend w the ones you listed and comes in at $227 with tank, all switched and what not. The only thing it needs is 12v power. There is a guy in my local club that has one and it's pretty bad ass. He says w the little tank that comes w it, it's no problem running an impact. And puma makes some nice shop compressors, so it may b worth looking into. Just a little bigger than the ones ur looking at.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=190836040515

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Elusive

another option is a york.
outperforms any electric compressor for about the same cost.
search my username for a brief write up

Webe

I personally don't own n e the ones u listed, but just throwing this out there. It's rated to contend w the ones you listed and comes in at $227 with tank, all switched and what not. The only thing it needs is 12v power. There is a guy in my local club that has one and it's pretty bad ass. He says w the little tank that comes w it, it's no problem running an impact. And puma makes some nice shop compressors, so it may b worth looking into. Just a little bigger than the ones ur looking at.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=190836040515

Looks like a nice one but it will take up some room.:twocents:

Spartan

That's what I was thinking to. Not a huge fan of mounted ones because of the space they take up, but the ARB looks like it's slim enough that it wouldn't take up to much space. The appeal of the under the hood ARB is that it doesn't take up any space.

Serg5000

I only have had experience with the twin ARB. I installed it under the hood. It works as well as advertised. I air up 37's from 15psi to 32psi in about 2 minutes. I'm guessing that's good because I don't have any other experiences.

I'm not sure what the poster above means when he says the York out performs any other. Hopefully he can give some more info on the matter.

RubyinUtah

I have the under hood ARB setup and have no cons to mention. I use it to air up my 35's all the time and it works great. I have it wired up to the Spod for convenience but it only needs a single switch. I am not running lockers with it but a friend has the same compressor and he runs his lockers with it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376617610.647444.jpg

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

I run the dual Viair 480c's. I can run a impact, not endlessly, have to let it catch up every so often, fills up my 37's from 12 to 30 in a minute each.
CD62A4CF-960B-489C-89A7-2DC6ED73AF2D-4328-000002CF35D974DC.jpg

Spartan

I run the dual Viair 480c's. I can run a impact, not endlessly, have to let it catch up every so often, fills up my 37's from 12 to 30 in a minute each.
CD62A4CF-960B-489C-89A7-2DC6ED73AF2D-4328-000002CF35D974DC.jpg

That's a nice set up, and looks like you have a nice sound system to. If I was still single I would think about doing something like that, but can't give up that much cargo space with 3 kids.

Rollincoal420

That's a good compressor, but looks like it would e best of shop use, or a street truck. It doesn't look like it would do good with getting dirty and splashed.

Oasis compressors are too of the line when it comes to compact 12v compressor, and wr originally designed w off-road use in mind. It will hold up as good as any of the others, maybe better.

If u got the coin and won't settle for anything but the best, that would b a top choice

Elusive

I only have had experience with the twin ARB. I installed it under the hood. It works as well as advertised. I air up 37's from 15psi to 32psi in about 2 minutes. I'm guessing that's good because I don't have any other experiences.

I'm not sure what the poster above means when he says the York out performs any other. Hopefully he can give some more info on the matter.

Here are the numbers:
from VIAIR site. their biggest compressor makes 2.56 CFM at 0 PSI and drops from there.

compare to measured york numbers:
Engine RPM CFM Seconds to fill a 2 gal tank 0-100 psi
750 3.2 34
1200 4.4 25
2000 7.3 15
3000 9.1 12

notice this fills a tank to 100 PSI and a 100% cycle time. There is no argument, a york is the fastest air available.
If you look close at the oasis comporessor, it's obviously a york with a (starter?) motor bolted to it.

I have a hand throttle but I can't really increase the RPM because my 35's get full in seconds. It's just like the compressor in the garage... maybe faster.

Rottenbelly

That's a nice set up, and looks like you have a nice sound system to. If I was still single I would think about doing something like that, but can't give up that much cargo space with 3 kids.

Thanks, it does take up some room. I can still use the little inside storage in back.
But when the wife and my 2 kids go on a trip with me I end up using a hitch carrier for the tool boxes and supplies.

David1tontj

I run the viair400p that I actually hard mounted under the hood. It is plumbed into my rear bumper which serves as a 3.5 gallon air tank. I have a manifold with pressure switch to turn it on at 80psi and off at 100. It will air up my 37s fairly fast and it does ok with my 40s. The only thing about it is that it does get HOT! It will melt air hoses if you aren't carefull and I have gone through about 4 inline air filters before I just scratched that idea. I love it though and just toss a wet rag on it if I air up more than my own tires. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376714292.571849.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376714324.737053.jpg
I like it cause its always in the truck and doesn't take up much space. Yet still gets the job done, fairly well at that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom