Oil Change

JKRandall

Getting ready to do my 1st oil change in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler and was wondering what your thoughts are with going to Full Synthetic Motor Oil or should l wait? I have roughly 2500 miles on my Jeep now. 2nd part of the question is, what are your thoughts on AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Webe

You need to breaking you motor first. I would highly recommend to wait till you have around 50K miles before going to synthetic. :twocents:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been running full synthetic Mobile1 since the 1st oil change (3000 miles) and no issues, now have 85000 miles. Full Synth early on will not cause issues.
save your money on the Amsoil - full synth from Mobile1 and several of the others are just as fine if you keep your oil changes on schedule and overall maintenance in check.
I change my synth every 6000 miles unless i'm doing a lot of towing, hard driving or a long stay in really dusty conditions. After a being off-road in really dusty conditions I'll change it out but that's just my preference.

mrmet1983

Synthetic is fine as long as you wait one oil change you do not have to wait 50,000 miles ... Smh synthetic is a good investment I run it in every vehicle.

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I broke in a couple of hot rod Harley engines right from the jump on full syn and did the same with my 2012 JKUR (first oil change on). Hot running engines like the Jeep Pentastar love full syn especially in the desert regions of the Southwest. Careful of full synthetic racing oils though. They are made with racing in mind and some require constant very high temps to do their work well. Almost all the major off the shelf full syns will perform well for anything we will do with our JK's.:thumb:

JKRandall

I broke in a couple of hot rod Harley engines right from the jump on full syn and did the same with my 2012 JKUR (first oil change on). Hot running engines like the Jeep Pentastar love full syn especially in the desert regions of the Southwest. Careful of full synthetic racing oils though. They are made with racing in mind and some require constant very high temps to do their work well. Almost all the major off the shelf full syns will perform well for anything we will do with our JK's.:thumb:

I am going to try out Mobil 1 Full Synthetic that Jeeeep talked about

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
My 2012 LOVES Mobil1. Glad I switch and pissed I didn't switch sooner. Got MUCH quieter and much smoother. Change it out ASAP. Get the Walmart 5 quart jug +1 quart. Total should be $37. Use the OEM oil filters. Jeep doesn't use any oil additives, so there is no benefit in leaving in the OEM oil for any period of time. Some manufacturers add moly blends to their factory filled oil which SHOULD be kept in until the first oil change, but Jeep doesn't do it, so out with the old buddy.

JKRandall

My 2012 LOVES Mobil1. Glad I switch and pissed I didn't switch sooner. Got MUCH quieter and much smoother. Change it out ASAP. Get the Walmart 5 quart jug +1 quart. Total should be $37. Use the OEM oil filters. Jeep doesn't use any oil additives, so there is no benefit in leaving in the OEM oil for any period of time. Some manufacturers add moly blends to their factory filled oil which SHOULD be kept in until the first oil change, but Jeep doesn't do it, so out with the old buddy.

Thanks for the Wally World info

RockyJk

Other than the Oil what Brand Filter do you recommend? Like I said earlier, I really do appreciate all answers.

I tried the bosch one on my first oil change and the engine would make scary noises on start up same thing with the Napa gold oil filter, switched up to the Mobil oil filter and all is good so I recommend that one :thumbup:

jeeeep

Hooked
Mobile1, Wix or the Mopar OEM Filter, I've found to be good for my 2010.

After sitting for a few days, other filters would drain out and I was getting dry starts.

Haven't had this issue with these filters

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You have a 2013, so you only have two choices, WIX or Mopar. Wix makes the mopar filter so you really have only one choice. My dealer charged me $4.12 for each one, so I bought a case. I have heard rumors that the price has now doubled to $8.

Top Bottom