Power coat or paint

KernHydro

Im getting ready to buy front and rear bumpers LOD and also evo rock rails. I have a 2012 so I want to keep it looking good after trail use. I have heard from from several wheelers not to get them powder coated but instead paint them with kylon semi flat black instead. I like the idea of powder coated protection but i want to keep it looking good and hear powder looks like shit if try to touch it up.:hmm: so im stuck any thoughts about this...

GCM 2

I think powder coating is awesome for hot rods/muscle cars, etc. and I have used it on my old cobra and corvettes. But for a rig that's going to see trail use, don't waste your money. I vote spray paint. Krylon or Duplicolor (probably any spray paint really) Satin Black is all I use. My wheels were raw finished Walker Evans for almost two years, then I just sprayed them with satin black. All I did was wash them really well, dried and then sprayed. If you incur some trail rash, just reapply :thumb:

Attachments

• image-2403760102.jpg
    image-2403760102.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-483285452.jpg
    image-483285452.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
GCM 2 does lay down a mean semi-gloss black. :D

seriously, rattle can will become your friend sooner or later and so long as you get a can that matches your powder coating pretty good, it doesn't look too bad.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Im getting ready to buy front and rear bumpers LOD and also evo rock rails. I have a 2012 so I want to keep it looking good after trail use. I have heard from from several wheelers not to get them powder coated but instead paint them with kylon semi flat black instead. I like the idea of powder coated protection but i want to keep it looking good and hear powder looks like shit if try to touch it up.:hmm: so im stuck any thoughts about this...

it also depends on where you live. if your in the rust belt. I wouldnt even bother with powder coat. It'll just flake off no matter how well it was applied...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been known to do my best work at 4:30am, showing up with a fresh coat for a day of wheeling in the rocks. Looking good at the start of the event counts too ;)

that was just to funny having you show up the next morning in florence with a black wheel. :clap2:

it also depends on where you live. if your in the rust belt. I wouldnt even bother with powder coat. It'll just flake off no matter how well it was applied...

i agree. working on the vengeance build, i saw first hand how poorly powder coating holds up in the rust belt. but, truth be told, i don't know if i'd ever drive my jeep in the winter if i lived out there.

I like the powder coating a lot better just because of the look but thats just my opinion. :yup:

poweder coating does look good and honestly, out here in the west, it's fine to have.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
wayoflife said:
that was just to funny having you show up the next morning in florence with a black wheel. :clap2:

i agree. working on the vengeance build, i saw first hand how poorly powder coating holds up in the rust belt. but, truth be told, i don't know if i'd ever drive my jeep in the winter if i lived out there.

poweder coating does look good and honestly, out here in the west, it's fine to have.

And I agree... Westcoast is great for powder coat

94YJBeaver

I know here where I live...I will never get another powder coated thing...The crap the put on the roads during the winter makes the powder coat flake off real bad...Good stain black paint will do me just fine...I guess it all depends on where you live and the type of weather you get during the year...

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I use Duplicolor spray on trucked coating and Krylon flat black camo spray paint on everything. My Racelines are painted with it and look great.

Top Bottom