Junkyard axle swap

mtnbiker995

I couldn't find a thread on this...has anyone ever done a junkyard front axle swap to their Jk sport? I'd like to upgrade to something stronger than a d30 but don't wanna spend $2k on a d44 front. I know the 8.8 is a popular tj axle swap, what about for a Jk? I'd also like to move up to 4.10's from my 3.21's...any opinions or tips&pointers are appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

seanb123

There's no harm in looking for a rubicon axel but good luck on that just hope the junkyard doesn't know what they have

I couldn't find a thread on this...has anyone ever done a junkyard front axle swap to their Jk sport? I'd like to upgrade to something stronger than a d30 but don't wanna spend $2k on a d44 front. I know the 8.8 is a popular tj axle swap, what about for a Jk? I'd also like to move up to 4.10's from my 3.21's...any opinions or tips&pointers are appreciated! Thanks

If you do find an axle chances are the junkyard knows what they have and you will spend about $1500 just for the axle then the retrofitting kit which will run you around $300 or so. Depending on the condition you might have to rebuild the pumpking with the gears and locker along with axle shafts and depending on what you going to run may push you over the the price of the D44. In the new JP magazine it is all about axle swaps from CJ to Jk.

I have a buddy looking to do this for his TJ. Hardest part he is running into is finding the axles.

R/
Will

mtnbiker995

If you do find an axle chances are the junkyard knows what they have and you will spend about $1500 just for the axle then the retrofitting kit which will run you around $300 or so. Depending on the condition you might have to rebuild the pumpking with the gears and locker along with axle shafts and depending on what you going to run may push you over the the price of the D44. In the new JP magazine it is all about axle swaps from CJ to Jk.

I have a buddy looking to do this for his TJ. Hardest part he is running into is finding the axles.

R/
Will

I might have to get a hold of that...which issue is it? August?

suicideking

Anything for a TJ won't be wide enough for a JK.

Assuming you don't know how to make major changes to an axle, your best bet is going to be to find a used Rubi axle as mentioned.

CRAZYCASEY

Junk yard axle swaps are not easy. They also are not cheap. Just in the front Dana 60 Ihave:
Junk yard axle: $800
Gears n such 300
Machine knuckle and add high steer arm $350
Locker $600
New ball joints $200
Custom tie rod $200
New break pads and turn rotors $100
Brackets $500
Have the front unit bearings milled for 35 spline axles $200
35 spline outer stub shafts$ 300
Drive flanges or warn hubs $250

About $3800 in parts and 40 or so hours of labor. I may have left something out but thats close. It's amazing all of the little problems you run into. Just having to move the frame side track bar forward 1.5 inches is a real pain when you have already spent 35 hours working, cutting, grinding and welding. If you are not capable of doing it yourself I'm sure a shop would charge 80 bucks an hour it might only take them 30 hours but that's another 2400 bucks. Look for a rubicon take off axle and save some $$$ not to mention you can do the swap in your garage in about 3 hours.

Oh did I mention I also had to buy new wheels....

Last edited:

Tranquillity

Ask yourself why you want to put a front D44? To beef it up? Being able to run what tire size? Because getting an HD D44 would be way better than the rubi D44 and the rubi housing is the same as the D30 and if I remember correctly it's the same C size so you will need to gusset them if you want bigger tire anyway.

Fitting some junkyard axle would be a real pain unless you're tripping balls doing it.

Top Bottom