Bad factory weld on LCA mount?

Skirmish

We were down in Big Bear this weekend and on the first trail we ran, Gold Mt, I heard a noise near my driver front after an easy open trail section. When I got out and looked I saw my front driver LCA hanging from the axle side bracket. The entire frame side mount had torn off the frame cleanly along the weld. There was no tearing of metal or deformation of the mount or frame at the weld. The mount is bashed from rocks, looks like I dropped on a rock and bent it over but if the weld had penetration I should see torn metal.

So I'm thinking this should be a warranty issue (bought in May 2012 with lifetime warranty) but if the dealer denies it does anyone even sell a replacement?

I was able to get two 3/8" grade 8 bolts through the holes in the frame and the mount which held up through John Bull and Holcomb Creek but I couldn't reach the backs to get more than about 75 lbs on them before they spun. Double nutting kept them from loosening.

If I need to reuse the bracket I will have to do some bending to get it back in shape but it would probably work. I've just never seen a good weld break off so cleanly without tearing the metal near the weld.

Got some pics but it isn't easy in place.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376887730.320504.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376887745.707222.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376887812.755592.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376887888.250472.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376887914.920755.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
it's really up to the dealer - some are Jeep friendly and will recognize it was a manufacturing defect, others may see the damage and if you have anything other than stock setup they may say it's modified and wasn't used in its intended manner.
Good luck, hope you have a Jeep friendly dealer.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
That does look like a shitty weld with little penetration. I would have to agree with you. Let us know what route you decide to go, dealer or just straighten and weld. I'm willing to bet yours is not an isolated incident.

Skirmish

Whenever I've taken it in they have the Service Manager take pics and send it to Detroit for a decision so I guess it is really up to Chrysler. She usually comments on how I'm "using it as it was intended" and they sell new JK's with 35" tires and taller lifts. Initially I was thinking it was just trail damage and I had no chance getting it repaired by them but the more I looked at the weld it worries me that there are more weak welds on the rig. I have reinforced a lot of the weak points with brackets and skids like LCA skids, rear LCA/shock mount braces, track bar braces axle and frame, sector shaft brace and stuff like that but all of my control arm frame side mounts are a concern now. I assumed these are robotic welds? Wouldn't that leave a lot of rigs vulnerable?

I'll keep you updated. I hope I don't have to do it myself cause I will probably need to remove the exhaust Y pipe to get at it. Grinding and welding up there would be a bitch.

Tranquillity

Looking forward to hear what decision they came up with but I think it's the same for every dealer to take pics and send them to Chrysler. I went to three different dealer in my area and they all did the same thing. Chrysler never refused anything...Yet.

Yeah that looks like some bad welding and as you said it's robotic chain production so it could result in a lot of affected rigs... I'd be curious to see others 2012 JKS pictures of those welds. Just as reference.

that does suck! and it does look like crappy welds! if there was good weld penetration, one would hope to see a little more deformation from the separation... i hope the dealer would step up and fix this as your frame should NOT just come apart like that.

andrew-

mrmet1983

Ouch that's rough and a first for me , never seen such a clean break like that before

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

MTG

Caught the Bug
That sucks!

But I'm not sure I'd want the local dealership doing the repair weld even if it was covered under warranty. :thinking:

That sucks!

But I'm not sure I'd want the local dealership doing the repair weld even if it was covered under warranty. :thinking:

absolutely true. i would think that they would send it to a collision/body shop to have repaired though, "i would think/hope!!!"

andrew-

Tackerdown

Banned
absolutely true. i would think that they would send it to a collision/body shop to have repaired though, "i would think/hope!!!"

andrew-

Im not sure how it is anywhere else but the shops around here all use someone else for anything other than general repairs.

Sent from my SPH-L720

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I've been a little worried about my CA factory mounts since I've gone to 37s and tougher trails. Haven't rock crawled and not hit em. So I had most of them reinforced with extra welds, particularly the front lower frame brackets and the rear upper axle bracket. Good, cheap insurance.

AlamedaJeep

Anyone else go and check their jeep after reading this? Looks like a great excuse to go for a long arm kit if dealer rejects the claim.

Skirmish

Anyone else go and check their jeep after reading this? Looks like a great excuse to go for a long arm kit if dealer rejects the claim.

That's kinda funny. I hope I don't make all the '12 owners nervous. Here's what I saw when I climbed out.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1376948098.942022.jpg

As you can see, the entire bracket came off cleanly without any tearing.

Skirmish

Looking at the brackets out there and talking to Mel at EVO (who was very nice on the phone by the way) it seems my options are to hammer my old bracket back or make one myself. It doesn't seem anyone makes a replacement for the front mount.

That's kinda funny. I hope I don't make all the '12 owners nervous. Here's what I saw when I climbed out.
View attachment 45055

As you can see, the entire bracket came off cleanly without any tearing.

Looks like the weld did not go all the way around. With the amount of corrosion on the back of the bracket shows water has been sitting behind it.

Skirmish

Looks like the weld did not go all the way around. With the amount of corrosion on the back of the bracket shows water has been sitting behind it.

I think that was the filter that the girl taking the pic put on. If I remember it was just full of Cali dirt.

David1tontj

You know..... You are halfway to a long arm kit!!

2005 Tj, BDS long arm, d60hp front, 10.25 rear, 513s and lockers, f&r winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom