Any SoCal Hemi/LS swaps runnin around here??

HDGasser

Just wondering how many of these things are in the neighborhood? Or are these things an "urban legend" here in the great lovely state of Cali?

I'm really lookin for someone local that has a 6.4 that I could take a ride in!

I am a die hard Chevy guy, this is my first Mopar. I LOVE the idea of an LS in my jku but I couldn't pass up this super clean hemi. Sad thing is I have 2 LS's sitting in the garage but they have vehicles to go in but maybe... Just MAYBE I could jip one for a little while!

What ya got!?

HDGasser

Both of those rigs are BEASTS!!

Moby.... Yeah I don't need to ride in that thing, ill be divorced in a week.

When/if I kill this Hemi I'm definitely doing an LS. Power and reliability is unbeWEaveable with these LS's. Just sucks here in Cali all the hoops you gotta jump thru to be able to keep them legit. :naw:

Both of those rigs are BEASTS!!

Moby.... Yeah I don't need to ride in that thing, ill be divorced in a week.

When/if I kill this Hemi I'm definitely doing an LS. Power and reliability is unbeWEaveable with these LS's. Just sucks here in Cali all the hoops you gotta jump thru to be able to keep them legit. :naw:

Some guy in Santa Clarita valley has a jku on 43's and a 6.1 hemi! Moby is in cali, evo1 as well, there some guy in Bakersfield with an ls too. There are a few jk's with hemi's and ls

HDGasser

Some guy in Santa Clarita valley has a jku on 43's and a 6.1 hemi! Moby is in cali, evo1 as well, there some guy in Bakersfield with an ls too. There are a few jk's with hemi's and ls

43's!! Good god man, I couldn't imagine rolling down the street on 43" tires.

Moby and Evo1 are probably out of reach as far as most "normal" people go. That's baller status!

I'm lookin for more of the Ballin on a budget builds! LoL

43's!! Good god man, I couldn't imagine rolling down the street on 43" tires.

Moby and Evo1 are probably out of reach as far as most "normal" people go. That's baller status!

I'm lookin for more of the Ballin on a budget builds! LoL

More like slow progression from stock to monster.

R/
Will

jims68

ls wrangler

Give Robbie a call at Motech. The web site is lswrangler.com. I have his 5.3 kit and love it! Daily driver. Mine was one of the first kits he did outside of his shop so I had bugs but that was to be expected. His kits are way better and probably as close to painless as you can get without having someone else do it for you. At least on the LS side I can work through the problems. The jeep can-bus can be to say the least and be nice a bear! Right now my issue is my BAS/ESP light came on after skidding around a corner when the streets were wet. Hoping it has to do with my brake pads in rear needing to be replaced but could be the ABS pump or controler too. Was all replaced with new when I built this thing since the engine fire took all of the original stuff. My biggest problems have been stuff the former owners did. Suspension geometry all messed up, terrible aftermarket stereo wiring and such. There are quit a few of his kits running around Cali for you to look at or give a try. If you take a trip to Vegas he will let you drive his stuff also to get a feel of them. Do a search on YouTube for LS Wrangler. He has done several videos of progress on these kits along with install videos and comparisons. He is a wealth of knowledge on all systems of the jeep and is fairly easy to access for help. He is realy busy but will still make time to help or answer questions. Always trying to better what he has also. Can't say enough about the guy and I haven't even met him yet except over the phone. My wife has met him when Robbie and his wife with Mo picked her up at the airport as a surprise for her 40th birthday. Not many vendors let alone people you have never met would do that for you! Any questions throw them out there. You will be surprised how many people have these motors in there jeeps! Just keep an open mind that this is a project with a wealth of knowledge to be gained. You will learn about every square inch of your jeeps heart buy the time you are done. And by the way staying over at a Holiday Inn Express will not make you an expert it's a FRICKEN WAYALIFE!!!!!!

Jim

HDGasser

See that is probably the farthest thing from a street machine as you can get. Your not gonna drive that thing 1000mi, run the rubicon then drive home.

Give Robbie a call at Motech. The web site is lswrangler.com. I have his 5.3 kit and love it! Daily driver. Mine was one of the first kits he did outside of his shop so I had bugs but that was to be expected. His kits are way better and probably as close to painless as you can get without having someone else do it for you. At least on the LS side I can work through the problems. The jeep can-bus can be to say the least and be nice a bear! Right now my issue is my BAS/ESP light came on after skidding around a corner when the streets were wet. Hoping it has to do with my brake pads in rear needing to be replaced but could be the ABS pump or controler too. Was all replaced with new when I built this thing since the engine fire took all of the original stuff. My biggest problems have been stuff the former owners did. Suspension geometry all messed up, terrible aftermarket stereo wiring and such. There are quit a few of his kits running around Cali for you to look at or give a try. If you take a trip to Vegas he will let you drive his stuff also to get a feel of them. Do a search on YouTube for LS Wrangler. He has done several videos of progress on these kits along with install videos and comparisons. He is a wealth of knowledge on all systems of the jeep and is fairly easy to access for help. He is realy busy but will still make time to help or answer questions. Always trying to better what he has also. Can't say enough about the guy and I haven't even met him yet except over the phone. My wife has met him when Robbie and his wife with Mo picked her up at the airport as a surprise for her 40th birthday. Not many vendors let alone people you have never met would do that for you! Any questions throw them out there. You will be surprised how many people have these motors in there jeeps! Just keep an open mind that this is a project with a wealth of knowledge to be gained. You will learn about every square inch of your jeeps heart buy the time you are done. And by the way staying over at a Holiday Inn Express will not make you an expert it's a FRICKEN WAYALIFE!!!!!!

Jim

I've done alot of reading, the pros and cons of each build hemi and LS. I have no doubt that there's quite a few V8 JK's runnin around, I just wanted to know how many of the Wayalife guys have them in SoCal. I'm interested in what's being done and what goals need to be met in order to make these things LEGIT here in Cali.

I've talked to JSS and be says be is the ONLY shop that builds swaps that are emissions legal in CA.

From my understanding in order to make the swap legal the engine has to from a model year newer then the vehicle, I thought it had to be from the same mfg but it's not looking like that's right anymore, also needs to retain all the FACTORY smog crap, and vehicle getting the swap has to be out of there fed emissions warranty 8yrs or 80k mi... Programming seems to be a proprietary info so I don't know what all needs to be done there.

I've got me an AEV 5.7 jku that I just purchased outta state. It runs like a champ. No over heating issues, no CEL's and daily driveable... That's my concern, it HAS to be reliable! I'm not one to take my vehicles somewhere to get worked on, I do all my own wrenching so learning the in's and out's of this beast is gonna happen eventually.

The whole can-bus crap is a little intimidating but only cause I've never delt with it but that will change.

I love my v8 jku!!
BF62966B-5D84-48AA-A325-38E47CF7A9ED-38171-00000433511B85FC.jpg

Last edited:

Moochie

I'd you call Motech they will refer you to Turn Key Jeep in So Cal. Give them a call if you are interested in a California legal swap. They have done about 20 of them.

jims68

ls

Everything I have read and heard the Cali compliance has alot to do with having all of your ducks in row when you go in for testing. This includes most importantly having a relationship with your testers of some kind so I am guessing here that you dont spring this on them and it is a surprise. Robbie can give you an in depth explanation including the science of the compliance if needed. The shop prevoiusly mentioned I know is compliant and I think JSS is also. These people are in the know zone and know the hoops to get through. Remember these are government entities so DIFFERENT usually means to them more work. The paper work being correct, the emissions all stock, the programming all stock and correct these are all things that will be deeply scrutinized. My question to you is why do you want to change? You sound like a chevy man so that explains alot. AEV is the best you can do on the Hemi side and if you can live with the poor transmission programming, I'm being nice here, most people would kill for that setup. My wifes Grand Cherokee and the work tuck Hemis I deal with daily show this once in a while, usually when you need it the most. Don't get me wrong they serve there purpose just aren't as refined yet! All manufactors tune for efficiency and that effects alot of things. The LS's seem to be able to transition out of this mode to a performance mode much faster and with authority. The Mopars can get lost or confused sometimes and this may just be a table overlap or timing issue. I looked into the programer Robbie uses for the jeep ECM and he deals with the issues quite ofter in daily drivers to full blown racing applications. Maybe he can correct some of shift tables? Not many deal with the Mopar programing since it is kind of a convoluted system and code. That was the deciding factor for me since the LS has so many options. EFI Live takes time to learn but so many use it that picking a brain becomes the question to find the correct answer you are looking for. The 6l80 is quite the trany and programing can be confusing and sometimes downright simple. The chevy programing is so interlaced that most changes will make little to no difference. It will just re-adjust what you changed or go to a different table and forget about your changes. If all else fails it will open loop and use its default tables. But for example I wanted to firm up my shifting so I thought I needed to look at the TCM programing. Come to learn there is one table in the ECM you can change all values by a percentage and this will effect all up and down shift patterns equaly! Now it shifts like I have a modest shift kit in it. But you can go to far also and need to learn by trial and error where that is. No problem just keep several copies of the stock program and your last good tune so you can always revert back. Now in California I think you need to always revert to the stock tune for inspection but with several programs out there now just switch it back again after testing! Takes only a couple of minutes and leaves no traces for the most part. I knew nothing about CanBus or how the modern vehicle systems worked or were tied together until this project. In therory they are quite simple with two wires as your data bus that tie all of the other control modules together to talk and control everything you or the vehicles does. The human factor is the confusing part when they program them. That is why we are all different! Be pretty boring if everyone and everything was the same! Sorry for confusing you now with my ramblings!!!!

1yellowjk

Everything I have read and heard the Cali compliance has alot to do with having all of your ducks in row when you go in for testing. This includes most importantly having a relationship with your testers of some kind so I am guessing here that you dont spring this on them and it is a surprise. Robbie can give you an in depth explanation including the science of the compliance if needed. The shop prevoiusly mentioned I know is compliant and I think JSS is also. These people are in the know zone and know the hoops to get through. Remember these are government entities so DIFFERENT usually means to them more work. The paper work being correct, the emissions all stock, the programming all stock and correct these are all things that will be deeply scrutinized. My question to you is why do you want to change? You sound like a chevy man so that explains alot. AEV is the best you can do on the Hemi side and if you can live with the poor transmission programming, I'm being nice here, most people would kill for that setup. My wifes Grand Cherokee and the work tuck Hemis I deal with daily show this once in a while, usually when you need it the most. Don't get me wrong they serve there purpose just aren't as refined yet! All manufactors tune for efficiency and that effects alot of things. The LS's seem to be able to transition out of this mode to a performance mode much faster and with authority. The Mopars can get lost or confused sometimes and this may just be a table overlap or timing issue. I looked into the programer Robbie uses for the jeep ECM and he deals with the issues quite ofter in daily drivers to full blown racing applications. Maybe he can correct some of shift tables? Not many deal with the Mopar programing since it is kind of a convoluted system and code. That was the deciding factor for me since the LS has so many options. EFI Live takes time to learn but so many use it that picking a brain becomes the question to find the correct answer you are looking for. The 6l80 is quite the trany and programing can be confusing and sometimes downright simple. The chevy programing is so interlaced that most changes will make little to no difference. It will just re-adjust what you changed or go to a different table and forget about your changes. If all else fails it will open loop and use its default tables. But for example I wanted to firm up my shifting so I thought I needed to look at the TCM programing. Come to learn there is one table in the ECM you can change all values by a percentage and this will effect all up and down shift patterns equaly! Now it shifts like I have a modest shift kit in it. But you can go to far also and need to learn by trial and error where that is. No problem just keep several copies of the stock program and your last good tune so you can always revert back. Now in California I think you need to always revert to the stock tune for inspection but with several programs out there now just switch it back again after testing! Takes only a couple of minutes and leaves no traces for the most part. I knew nothing about CanBus or how the modern vehicle systems worked or were tied together until this project. In therory they are quite simple with two wires as your data bus that tie all of the other control modules together to talk and control everything you or the vehicles does. The human factor is the confusing part when they program them. That is why we are all different! Be pretty boring if everyone and everything was the same! Sorry for confusing you now with my ramblings!!!!

Good God Man paragraphs are your friend! :eek:

jims68

I know but it interupts my random thoughts! No it is my typing skills that does that!!! Well maybe the cafiene has something to do with it also! Eh, it's a combination or maybe a mixture!! Damn should I indent first or start a new paragraph! I hate grammer!

HDGasser

Ramble away my man!! I'm learning!

I guess my interests are more towards the paperwork portion of these swaps. I wanna know how I go about getting me one of dem there fancy BAR stickers. I want to make it "right" so to speak. If it means yanking out this lil ol hemi of mine and sticking in an LS so be it. If I can work with what I got and make a few changes then AWESOME!

From what I've read AEV's tranny programming issues were with the 6.1. I have a 5.7 truck hemi, not as much power but still plenty for me to roast 37's and break shit at the blip of the pedal.

When I picked this thing up I flew to Phoenix, and drove home 400mi. Was I easy on it? Hell no... I wanted to see what it was gonna do. 80-85 the whole way, 110-115* temps, pullin grades with my foot in it with a head wind up the 10fwy engine temps never got past 220* on my aeroforce. Dead stopped in traffic 205ish. All day long around the neighborhood 203*. The UPS guy just dropped off a 180* jet t-stat. I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what she does.

As far as EFI live goes man I LOVE IT!! Ive been running it on my Duramax for going on 2 years and it's amazing. Soon as I get the 6.0 in my 57 nomad and the 5.3 in my 69 chevelle I will be buying a couple licenses!

1yellowjk

I know but it interupts my random thoughts! No it is my typing skills that does that!!! Well maybe the cafiene has something to do with it also! Eh, it's a combination or maybe a mixture!! Damn should I indent first or start a new paragraph! I hate grammer!

It's just hard to read and it looks like you got some good stuff to say, but you do what you want brother...I'm in no way hatin on ya! :)

Skid_Kid

Engine
All engine changes must be reported to the California DMV within 10 days. The engine must be the same year or newer than the existing engine and it must comply to the new engine's emissions standards. All engine upgrades and add-ons must be CARB approved.

VC 4616

Sent from my PRC-119

HDGasser

Engine
All engine changes must be reported to the California DMV within 10 days. The engine must be the same year or newer than the existing engine and it must comply to the new engine's emissions standards. All engine upgrades and add-ons must be CARB approved.

VC 4616

Sent from my PRC-119

Soooooo 10 days from completion?? We all know these things are never "done" ya know! LoL

Top Bottom