How five (maybe 8) minutes to air down at the trailhead added an hour to our trip.

Jaydoc1

My family and two others went to do Medano Pass over the weekend. It's not anything particularly challenging. Really just one rocky "ledge" and several water crossings that ends up in some fairly loose sand in the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Truly just about anything can do this trail.

So no one I go Jeeping with ever really stops to air down. Even if a trail doesn't require it for traction purposes I still like to air down because it's just a much more comfortable ride. Well I was bringing up the rear in our three Jeep group because I had my Trektop all buttoned up and the doors on so I figured I'd suffer the least from all the trail dust as the other two Jeeps were completely unbuttoned. I radioed to get the other two to pull off so I could air down. Literally two minutes after we pulled over a group of FORTY Jeeps came tooling past. That's not an exaggeration. That was the count. Turns out a Colorado Springs dealership was having one of their customer appreciation trail runs and me pulling over to air down meant we were now behind it.

Now don't get me wrong. All these guys and gals were incredibly friendly and since my Jeep and another in our group were actually from that dealership, they just thought we were and behaved as though we were part of the group. That's great except that since this is a sort of marketing tool and might be one of the few times most of these people ever have their Jeeps off-road they stopped for pictures at what seemed like every single bump in the road. Although we weren't in any particular hurry we definitely did not enjoy the lengthy stops. We had originally planned to come back over Hayden Pass but the time just trickled away from us.

Finally we just pulled over and hung out eating a picnic lunch for an hour or so so that we wouldn't be waiting on them.

Still an enjoyable day and I really did enjoy seeing a caravan of 40 JK's of all different shapes and sizes going past. Hopefully it introduced a bunch of people to the hobby we all love in a way that will make them want to do more and more of it.

But man am I going to look in the rearview the next time I want to air down! :D

p.s. Several JKs were sporting Project-JK and Wayalife decals.

bl17z90

Pictures are fun but I feel like there can be a point where it gets rediculous. Having said that, you did mention that there were 40 of them, so it could have also been that it was just a lot of them wanted the chances for a photo op

pastorwug

To me it's always good to see other Jeeps on the trail, more enthusiasts and more fun - but there is a limit to anything perhaps.
Since that was your dealership as well maybe you should have joined the group near the front?

Jeepin_Jeepata13

Yeah the Faricy Boys puts it on every year and that's where I bought mine. Too bad I didn't go, I would of met some of the guys from the forum!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Seems to me you never know how crowded popular trails in Colorado will be these days. We've even been unpleasently surprised on weekdays. It's more than worth it though to meet similar minded folks on the trail. Like most of us, I'd still rather deal with a crowded trail than a crowded freeway.:yup:

Jaydoc1

Seems to me you never know how crowded popular trails in Colorado will be these days. We've even been unpleasently surprised on weekdays. It's more than worth it though to meet similar minded folks on the trail. Like most of us, I'd still rather deal with a crowded trail than a crowded freeway.:yup:

Oh without a doubt. And absolutely it was fun to talk to every single one of the people that I got to meet in that group. In fact, even though I didn't know it at the time, I got to meet our own bdmckenna there. He got a nice whiff of coolant smell from my Jeep I've been tracking down as we chatted. Super nice guy, BTW.

Top Bottom