Turbo

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Turbos and Superchargers are a lot of money for not a whole lot of gain and performance that is off on the rocks. I personally would save your money and consider other options. But, that's just me. Having said that, I don't have any experience with a turbo and don't know of anyone with one but, know plenty of people with RIPP's and I'm far from impressed with them.

HDGasser

I've always been told there's no replacement for displacement.

I don't think a turbo would be good on a trail rig IMO

Rollincoal420

A guy in our local club installed a RIPP charger on his Lj rubi. He never got it right. The tuning was all jacked up. After many months of downtime from trying to get it to run right, then a couple months of it running "good enough" he yanked it all out and swapped in an Ls motor.

That being said, I'm a big fan of boost. If I had a mud buggy or off-road racer, without a doubt I would boost it:D. On the rocks, I still wouldn't rule out a turbo, but to get it to perform satisfactorily, it would take quit a bit of effort. At a minimum, it would take proper sizing of the charger to the engin and rpm range and good, custom tuning probably.

A turbo can easily b built to spool right off idle but will most likely run out of air on the top end. Or have plenty of top or mid range air, but a good big of lag. And let me tell u, from driving a Cummins w a rather decent size turbo, I would not want to b in a precarious situation when the lag goes away and that turbo lights. It's a good recipe for carnage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Rollincoal420

If it's still something u want to pursue, I would scour the nation for a COMPETENT turbo builder and have a good long chat w him/her

HDGasser

A guy in our local club installed a RIPP charger on his Lj rubi. He never got it right. The tuning was all jacked up. After many months of downtime from trying to get it to run right, then a couple months of it running "good enough" he yanked it all out and swapped in an Ls motor.

That being said, I'm a big fan of boost. If I had a mud buggy or off-road racer, without a doubt I would boost it:D. On the rocks, I still wouldn't rule out a turbo, but to get it to perform satisfactorily, it would take quit a bit of effort. At a minimum, it would take proper sizing of the charger to the engin and rpm range and good, custom tuning probably.

A turbo can easily b built to spool right off idle but will most likely run out of air on the top end. Or have plenty of top or mid range air, but a good big of lag. And let me tell u, from driving a Cummins w a rather decent size turbo, I would not want to b in a precarious situation when the lag goes away and that turbo lights. It's a good recipe for carnage.

That's the best part!!!

"Hope you brought your wood screws man!! I'm gonna blow the doors of that thing!!!"

Rock+hard spot+turbo light off = YEEE hawww!!... BAM... what was that??

jeeeep

Hooked
I almost went the turbo route after driving a few..great fun full open speed but offroad it didn't impress. after doing more research and adding up the real costs and down time with issues ( based on my friends issues) the total cost was not that much less than an LS swap...so saving for the LS
Hemi are still pretty pricy

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You want more low end when crawling anyway. A turbo/supercharger won't give you what a bigger motor will. Go LS or hemi.

Skirmish

You want more low end when crawling anyway. A turbo/supercharger won't give you what a bigger motor will. Go LS or hemi.

I guess that depends on your technique. I've seen a few guys get into the higher RPMs on the rocks. Usually followed by the overused comment "when in doubt, throttle out" or my recent favorite "you gotta want it".

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I guess that depends on your technique. I've seen a few guys get into the higher RPMs on the rocks. Usually followed by the overused comment "when in doubt, throttle out" or my recent favorite "you gotta want it".

True but a bigger motor will give you both options. The turbo/supercharger only gives you one. :thumb:

Aeraun

If you are set on boosting I would supercharge it. I know you can set up a turbo to avoid the lag but a supercharger would make more sense for our Jeeps. I have had a supercharger in my mod list for the future but have heard very good and very bad things about RIPP. I may wait and get a hemi, then boost that :-D lol but point being if you do it I would go supercharger.

Rollincoal420

If you are set on boosting I would supercharge it. I know you can set up a turbo to avoid the lag but a supercharger would make more sense for our Jeeps.

I concure, but there is way more kool points for a turbo:D

jeeeep

Hooked

lol yea I've wheeled with those rebel types....they have deeper pockets or more fabrication skills than I do

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you're "throttling out" or "wanting it", you're not really "crawling". There's a time and place for each "technique" but from what I have seen, a supercharger doesn't do well with either. No low end torque to crawl and HP that comes in way too late.

Top Bottom