What do i do?!

JKLandon

Hey guys! I'm new to the jeep thing and I'd really like to hook up my jeep! I'm only 16 so it's my first car. 2 door red jk and I'd like to upgrade it! What should I do? I only have so much money but I really want to do something since I just got a job! If any suggestions please let me know I'd love to hear it!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Hey guys! I'm new to the jeep thing and I'd really like to hook up my jeep! I'm only 16 so it's my first car. 2 door red jk and I'd like to upgrade it! What should I do? I only have so much money but I really want to do something since I just got a job! If any suggestions please let me know I'd love to hear it!

whats your Goal? wheeling? looks? what size tires?

JKLandon

ChrisB said:
whats your Goal? wheeling? looks? what size tires?

Well I do mostly recreational wheeling. I go to camp sites I find while we go out close to the river and I'd really want it to look cool and perform well!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Well I do mostly recreational wheeling. I go to camp sites I find while we go out close to the river and I'd really want it to look cool and perform well!

If it we're my two door. I'd run a simple leveling kit, coils or spacers. Run 33's and have fun.

You wont need to regear, you wont need to worry about any other upgrades (axles, driveshafts etc).

If you go higher than 2" and a bigger tire, it will start costing you thousands easily.

JKLandon

I was looking at doing that just need the money for tires! Do you recommend any bumper? I was looking at getting a smittybilt stinger.

ichthus

One of the cheapest and most effective lifts you'll find or your Jeep is to snag the shocks, springs and rear stabilizer links from a 4 door-hardtop Rubicon. You'll get almost 2" of lift & should be able to clear 33"s with no trouble...

You can save money on tires by going with smaller wheels, so look into that. If you currently have 17" Alloys it will almost cost just as much to find a 33x12.5x17 set of tires as it would to look around for 15" wheels & run 33x12.5x15 tires. Duratrac tires will offer a pretty aggressive tread, should give plenty of capability, but will save about $20 per corner. If you're really staying on a budget, try researching Treadrite tires. They are basically recycled and re-treaded tires.

You might be able to get someone to build you a custom bumper (or buy a welder and learn to do it yourself) for less than the cost of a new Smittybilt.

Also, keep an eye on local Craigslist adds. I do a search for Jeep on CL about once a day and have managed to get some UNBELIEVABLE deals (hardtop, soft top & 4 doors from an 08 JKU for $400 total!). Also, your take-off parts have moderate value, and will take up space, so sell 'em and help fund your build.

Find locals to help with mods. You're too young to buy them Beer, but providing pizza in exchange for helping to install the lift will help you learn about your rig and make friends while saving $

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking at doing that just need the money for tires! Do you recommend any bumper? I was looking at getting a smittybilt stinger.

since money is a concern, i would just run your factory bumpers until they are just to trashed to keep or, until you can afford a better upgrade. chop your front to make it a stubby and i think you'll like it alot.

main.php

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-homemade-stubby-front-bumper-write-up

for me, i would rather make sure that you have tow points front and rear and a good set of rocker guards before getting bumpers.

JKLandon

wayoflife said:
since money is a concern, i would just run your factory bumpers until they are just to trashed to keep or, until you can afford a better upgrade. chop your front to make it a stubby and i think you'll like it alot.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-homemade-stubby-front-bumper-write-up

for me, i would rather make sure that you have tow points front and rear and a good set of rocker guards before getting bumpers.

Last night I actually found something called VDP bumper endcaps... It pretty much just cuts a good foot and each side of the factor bumper and I think that'll be my next but and also try and keep my eyes open for that rubicon stock springs to get a little lift on it! What wheel and tire set up should I be looking for??

kaptkrappy

Lots of good advice here, great place to get started. I am no expert on most of these subjects but I can help.

Start off your questions by telling us what you are driving; What year, how many doors, Sport, Rubicon, auto, manual, tire size, gear ratio, etc.

And most importantly (not really), never refer to your JK as a car.

Keep posting your build as it progresses and include pic's, we love pic's.

JKLandon

kaptkrappy said:
Lots of good advice here, great place to get started. I am no expert on most of these subjects but I can help.

Start off your questions by telling us what you are driving; What year, how many doors, Sport, Rubicon, auto, manual, tire size, gear ratio, etc.

And most importantly (not really), never refer to your JK as a car.

Keep posting your build as it progresses and include pic's, we love pic's.

I never refer to it as a car but if I say it's my first jeep it makes it sound like I've had other vehicles. It is my first motor vehicle! Better haha it is a red 2 door x automatic with kc hilights on the windshield :) everything is stock on my jeep!

MTG

Caught the Bug
X2 on the rubi unlimited take-off springs and shocks. We just did it on a friend's 2 door X and got 1.5 or 1.75" out of it (can't remember exactly). Plus, according to him, the ride is a ton better. I might have posted up on here about it?

JKLandon

X2 on the rubi unlimited take-off springs and shocks. We just did it on a friend's 2 door X and got 1.5 or 1.75" out of it (can't remember exactly). Plus, according to him, the ride is a ton better. I might have posted up on here about it?

would it not be smarter to just get some new shocks and springs?

JKLandon

not if you can get the take offs for free as is typically the case but, if it were me, i would go for new coils and shocks.

yeah my local craigslist is offering the rubi 4 dr take offs for 250 with springs and coils. not sure if i want to to that when i can get everything new for just a little more

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah my local craigslist is offering the rubi 4 dr take offs for 250 with springs and coils. not sure if i want to to that when i can get everything new for just a little more

yeah, i wouldn't do it either. it's have to be free or new. i gave all my old stuff away already otherwise i would have given them to you.

JKLandon

yeah, i wouldn't do it either. it's have to be free or new. i gave all my old stuff away already otherwise i would have given them to you.

should have asked sooner! haha ill just put a wanted ad on craigslist if i have to. i know someone will give it away!

MTG

Caught the Bug
would it not be smarter to just get some new shocks and springs?

Just saw that you are 16 and I'm changing my advice. Take as much money as you can and invest it in a Roth IRA. If necessary get your parents to contribute until you reach the maximum allowed each year (currently $5K). Only after doing that, can you mod your jeep. :yup:

If you are like most 16 year olds (and how I was) you will ignore the above. :cheesy: In that case, I'd still try to find some take offs from someone nice like WOL for free or for as cheap as you can I think I sold mine for ~$160. Both of which are cheaper than buying new springs and shocks.

Good luck!

MTG

Caught the Bug
do you think it would have the same effect with a sahara suspension?

You will want to look at the spring #s. 18/59 are the highest I've seen recently. Though I think some have found and used 19/60. How much lift you get will depend on where you are staring from. My buddy's were 15/55 and we put in 18/59 springs.

JKLandon

MTG said:
You will want to look at the spring #s. 18/59 are the highest I've seen recently. Though I think some have found and used 19/60. How much lift you get will depend on where you are staring from. My buddy's were 15/55 and we put in 18/59 springs.

I found a full set of shocks springs and sway bar links and it's only got 15 miles on it from a 4 door Sahara for 60 bucks:D

Top Bottom