Head bolts on 95 YJ

GinaK

my son replaced his valve springs on his 4.0 n is having a problem with antifreeze in his oil.. Can head bolts stretch out? he has replaced his gasket x2 .. Any help would be appreciated..

Rollincoal420

Yes, head bolts can stretch. Ussually after a couple of torque cycles. You should be able too, and may need to, retorque to another 10-15 ft lbs. Have you been putting a generous amount of rtv on that one coolant head bolt?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Army_Vet

Banned
my son replaced his valve springs on his 4.0 n is having a problem with antifreeze in his oil.. Can head bolts stretch out? he has replaced his gasket x2 .. Any help would be appreciated..

Bolts will stretch, but in this application, if they were stretched, they would have snapped by now. Imagine a lug nut. If you stretch them when you start to drive, they will pop one at a time, till they are all gone. When a bolt stretches beyond its working limit it becomes extremely weak.

I don't think this is your problem, I bet a water jacket bolt was mixed with a different bolt...

Army_Vet

Banned
Do you know which bolt is the water jacket bolt? Where is it located on the block

closest to the water pump on the driver side, Maybe; you may want to get a second opinion on this, but im for sure one hole goes into a water jacket. this bolt needs to be coated in sealant before instal.

GinaK

Update: it worked, but now he is having the radiator puking at him.. No coolant in Oil .. pressures on cylinders are good.. Could this be air pockets in coolant system?

Last edited:
Top Bottom