Metric vs standard trail grapplers

miguel250r

OK I was shopping around on discount tires website for 35x12.50r17 trail grapplers it said $319 a tire so I tried the metric size for that (315/70r17) and the tail grapplers said $306 is there a difference between the two or is it a mistake on the web site? And its the same size right?

jeepin on a budget

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I believe the 315/70r17 is slightly smaller than the 35x12.50r17. Measures out at like 34 1/2 not a huge difference. There also is a difference in load range the 315 is a D and the 35 and E

miguel250r

What does everyone usually run? Correct me if I'm wrong but the D's should ride better on the road but I would be sacrificing a 1/2" of height

jeepin on a budget

E rated tires are usually on heavy duty trucks due to the side walls are stronger and can handle heavier weights. D rated are will give a softer ride due to the side walls not being so beefed up to support the weight.

R/
Will

bl17z90

I got the 35x12.5 because at the time they were a good bit cheaper...309 per tire? But anyways, my ride honestly doesn't feel any less comfortable than the stock street tires.

Jeepin_Jeepata13

Yeah I'm having the same dileema as well with which one to choose. The metric is a different rating which means less money and less weight! Anyone running these and have any issues with sidewall damage? To me, it's better to go with lighter in sacrafice of a little tread.

miguel250r

Yeah I'm having the same dileema as well with which one to choose. The metric is a different rating which means less money and less weight! Anyone running these and have any issues with sidewall damage? To me, it's better to go with lighter in sacrafice of a little tread.

Also wanna know if u can get longer tread life with the E rating like if its a harder compound rubber. might be worth the little bit harsher ride for a longer lasting tire if its true

jeepin on a budget

TJM12

I think the d rated tire is 8 ply and the e rated is 10 ply so it should last a bit longer too.

Top Bottom