Best Bumper Add-ons?

BrowHeezy

My LOD midwidth front bumper just showed up to the house yesterday... Time to start looking into the add-ons! I'm looking for opinions and recommendations on some good bumper accessories. Here is what I've been thinking about going with.

D-ring.jpg Fairlead.jpg Lights.jpg winch.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you want them to be red, most any 3/4" D-ring will do the trick. I personally would look into LED driving lights over the HID if only because they are more affordable and more durable. The winch you are looking at will probably work fine but, if you think you'll be using it a lot, I personally would recommend a WARN. As far as roller fairleads go, you'll get one with your winch and I wouldn't waste your money on a new one. If anything, I would save up for a synthetic line and get rollers for it or a new hawse fairlead.

BrowHeezy

Yeah, the D-rings are pretty universal. I just think red stands out the best. The Quadratec winch comes with a synthetic line and a flat fairlead with no rollers. Not a necessity right away because I probably won't use the winch very often, but I like the idea of having the rollers to protect the line. I agree with you on the lights, LED would be a better way to go but I haven't found any that I really like.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the D-rings are pretty universal. I just think red stands out the best.

They should look cool :cool:

The Quadratec winch comes with a synthetic line and a flat fairlead with no rollers. Not a necessity right away because I probably won't use the winch very often, but I like the idea of having the rollers to protect the line.

An aluminum hawse fairlead is what would come standard with a synth line and it will work well for it. The only reason to use rollers is because they'll give you more side pulling abilities but, they'll also take away from your approach angle. Don't get me wrong, I still use rollers with my synth lines but, if you really want to go this route, I would safe your money and ask around for someone who has one laying around. There are a lot of them out there being that a lot of people switch out to synth rope and more times than not, you can get it for free. Just trying to save you some money.

I agree with you on the lights, LED would be a better way to go but I haven't found any that I really like.

We run a set of Truck-Lite spot LED's and have found them to work great.

BrowHeezy

Great Info! Thank you. I'm on a tight budget due to a little one being on the way so the more money I can save the better.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on if you have an 07-11 or 12-up as the later would require you to relocate your vacuum pump. Otherwise, the install is pretty straight forward... I'd say, about an hour or two tops.

I've got a 2010. Sounds like a quick morning project!

When I installed my LOD Midwith it took the better part of 4 hours. Then again I had a 4yo helping me at times which takes up a little time. I re-used my factory driving lights and had to drill the holes out on the lights to 5/16. Also used stainless steel locknuts and washers. I had them laying around the house. What took the longest was adding the extensions on the driving light wires. Wanted to make sure they were done right and water tight. I used environmental splices and heatshrink over them. I would also recommend using lock washers on the mounting hardware.

R/
Will

BrowHeezy

Hopefully it doesn't take anywhere near 4 hours. I've got a friend coming over to give me a hand so it shouldn't be too bad. How much wire did you need to splice into the fog lights to make them long enough? I need to stop and get some of those heat shrink wrap things so I can grab some lock washers as well. Has anyone tossed any loctite on the bolts before?

Hopefully it doesn't take anywhere near 4 hours. I've got a friend coming over to give me a hand so it shouldn't be too bad. How much wire did you need to splice into the fog lights to make them long enough? I need to stop and get some of those heat shrink wrap things so I can grab some lock washers as well. Has anyone tossed any loctite on the bolts before?

Get the heat shrink and environmental splices at Harbor Freight. They come in various sizes. Buy the multi pack of each. When you splice your wires cut the original harness, cut one wire at a time with about 3-4 inches apart. This will give you enough space to put your splices in and stagger them. On the passenger side I used about 6 inches of wire. On the drivers side I used about 12-15 inches. I used lock nuts instead of loc-tite. I will see if I can find the build thread I posted.

BrowHeezy

I don't care what people say....it is the size of your ratchet that counts :brows:

LOL true that! I got her all done. Install was super easy. The bolts were a little tricky but we even got those pretty quick. I'm not sure what everyone is talking about... I didn't have to drill the fog lights at all and I only had to extend the passenger side wire about 6". The driver side reached with some to spare. The one thing I do need to do is pick up a torque wrench and crank everything down. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377279941.937421.jpg

Top Bottom