Mounting Rotopax on tailgate

mtnbiker995

Has anyone mounted two, 1 gallon or 2 gallon Rotopax cans on their tailgate? If so what mount/combination of mounts did you use? I'm trying to figure something out for mine.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rotopax sells a host of universal mounts that you can install on your Jeep. Just pick one and you can make it work. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/roe-jk-wr.htm

I think these are pretty cool if you're looking for just storage. Don't think it works for gas tho since the cutout doesn't have a shape cutout for the spout on the fuel rotopax. But if not, like Eddie said rotopax has plenty to choose from if you just do a little research

Even if you could hold gas there, I don't know if I would. Beyond having to replace your hard top glass with them and loose even more visibility out the rear, they'd essentially be inside your rig. Not exactly something safe or something that I'd want.

Devallee

Even if you could hold gas there, I don't know if I would. Beyond having to replace your hard top glass with them and loose even more visibility out the rear, they'd essentially be inside your rig. Not exactly something safe or something that I'd want.

I think that's why they don't work with the gas ones because of the safety issue. As far as visibility, I don't think I've ever looked out of those windows before anyways so I wouldn't be too worried about that. However, that's just me :thumb:

Serg5000

Rotopax sells a host of universal mounts that you can install on your Jeep. Just pick one and you can make it work. :yup:
I tried ordering from them the last two days but their website must be having issues. I ended up having to go through Amazon. I want this setup by labor day weekend so time is rather short.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tried ordering from them the last two days but their website must be having issues. I ended up having to go through Amazon. I want this setup by labor day weekend so time is rather short.

More and more, Amazon is becoming my go to off road shop when it comes to ordering parts. It's where I got my Rotopax and mounts as well.

MTG

Caught the Bug
More and more, Amazon is becoming my go to off road shop when it comes to ordering parts. It's where I got my Rotopax and mounts as well.

Agreed. And with Prime much of the stuff shows up in 2 days for "free."

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

totally agree! you get it cheaper then most places (NR4x4, quadratec, etc) and shipped in a shorter time frame. i ordered my OR-Fab tire carrier one day and litterly the next day it was at my door when i came home. i picked the 3-5 days shipping option as well!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. And with Prime much of the stuff shows up in 2 days for "free."

totally agree! you get it cheaper then most places (NR4x4, quadratec, etc) and shipped in a shorter time frame. i ordered my OR-Fab tire carrier one day and litterly the next day it was at my door when i came home. i picked the 3-5 days shipping option as well!

Yup, you get to order what you know is in stock, more times than not, get it shipped for free and get it a lot faster. I ordered my Rigid lights from them and was expecting it to take a week to come in and was surprised to see it on my door step just 2 days later. :yup:

bl17z90

Is there a way to mount one to the tail gate if you have the spare tire carrier on there still? I have a 3 gallon and I usually just carry the can inside but I wouldn't mind it being outside. Is it even a good idea for me to mount it to my gate since I have an 80 pound tire hanging there right now? :bleh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you just run a strap through the handles and around your tire to mount your Rotopax on the back of Rubicat?

Nope, bought a mount and installed it to my EVO tire carrier...
main.php

Here's what it looks like installed...
main.php

And here it is mounted horizontally...
attachment.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen that before but didn't know anyone who had used one. When I upgrade to the Lod rear bumper/tire carrier I can still mount that to the spare tire right and have it for even more fuel in addition to the rotopax mounts on the lod?

Yes, you should be able to without any problems.

Just MHO I wouldn't spend much money on anything that is less than 5gallons...for 2gallons its very costly

But, the Can Cams are designed to accept/stack additional cans that can be purchased separately for a lot less. Your total out of pocket cost to carry 4 or even 6 gallons isn't too bad.

Top Bottom