Winch mounted on stock bumper cause overheating?

In5ane1

Want a winch for my jku, but dont have money for aftermarket bumper yet. Will the winch in front of grill cause overheating issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WhiteDynamite

I don't have a stock bumper but my winch is sitting on a Poison Spyder Blawler Lite which is not a recessed style bumper. I live in Las Vegas 110+ degrees. Not once have I had an issue with overheating. You'll be fine in Alabama. :yup:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't have mud like you guys do in the south... so when you're done playing spend a little time rinsing your radiator off ;)

Last edited:

In5ane1

I don't have a stock bumper but my winch is sitting on a Poison Spyder Blawler Lite which is not a recessed style bumper. I live in Las Vegas 110+ degrees. Not once have I had an issue with overheating. You'll be fine in Alabama. :yup:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't have mud like you guys do in the south... so when you're done playing spend a little time rinsing your radiator off ;)

Hey, thanks for info. Good point on the mud. Ive seen to that some winches are bigger than others. A more compact one may help!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

This. I have a rampage bumper with a top mount zeon10s and never once had I experienced an overheating issue, including wheeling in Moab.

In5ane1

This. I have a rampage bumper with a top mount zeon10s and never once had I experienced an overheating issue, including wheeling in Moab.

Curious how you like your rampage bumper...? Like the price tag for sure!

In5ane1

So...if I got a after market bumper...what is good inexpensive winch bumper? Also full width or stubby? I dont rock climb.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Curious how you like your rampage bumper...? Like the price tag for sure!

I love my bumper. Built like a tank and has some of the strongest powdercoating I have ever come accross in all my years of car modding.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So...if I got a after market bumper...what is good inexpensive winch bumper? Also full width or stubby? I dont rock climb.

If you dont rockclimb, I'd go with a full width. The protection they offer is worth it. Some (like the rampage) sacrifice very little in terms of stubby/fullwidth approach. Sure, if you are running some of the hardest trails in the country it might be an issue, but like you, I don't really rock crawl so it's a non issue for me.

cmlrc

I have a winch mounted to my stock front bumper, I pulled my trailer across Idaho in the July heatwave,then spent hours a day driving thru Yellowstone NP. No issue with engine temp. I used the Smittybilt winch plate mount.

In5ane1

I have a winch mounted to my stock front bumper, I pulled my trailer across Idaho in the July heatwave,then spent hours a day driving thru Yellowstone NP. No issue with engine temp. I used the Smittybilt winch plate mount.

Awesome info...thanks a ton!

In5ane1

If you dont rockclimb, I'd go with a full width. The protection they offer is worth it. Some (like the rampage) sacrifice very little in terms of stubby/fullwidth approach. Sure, if you are running some of the hardest trails in the country it might be an issue, but like you, I don't really rock crawl so it's a non issue for me.

Thanks man. Love the looks of that bumper. About how much does it weigh?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The bumper itself I'd say about 85. With winch plate add another 20. It's heavy and solid as a bank vault. I would not want to be on the receiving end of it during an accident. We had a member on another forum slam a fully grown buck at 65mph and he had zero damage other than a 3" scratch in the Powdercoat.

In5ane1

The bumper itself I'd say about 85. With winch plate add another 20. It's heavy and solid as a bank vault. I would not want to be on the receiving end of it during an accident. We had a member on another forum slam a fully grown buck at 65mph and he had zero damage other than a 3" scratch in the Powdercoat.

Did it drop the front of your jeep much?

Thats unbelievable. But id feel better havingvthat to protect me. May not be a good thing for my road rage though:D

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Did it drop the front of your jeep much?

Thats unbelievable. But id feel better havingvthat to protect me. May not be a good thing for my road rage though:D

The original reason why I bought it (before I really got into the Jeep lifestyle) is to not care when I get hit by scumbag NYC taxi cabs. I had one stop short on me, and I destroyed his rear bumper, trunk, both tail-lights, and shattered his rear glass (Nissan Altima cab) and it didn't even scratch the powdercoat. I had a dashcam, so when he found out, he ran back to his cab and bolted. Filed a police report anyway, and gave them the footage just in case the a$$hole decides to hit me with a hit and run.

As for the front end sag, yes there is some. On my JKU sahara, it sagged about 3/4" with just the bumper. Rubicons will sag a bit less, sports might sag a tad more. A teraflex coil leveling kit fixed it right up. You can also install a spacer (although I'd recommend you do this once ALL your weightmods are installed) to compensate for the sag.

Last edited:

In5ane1

The original reason why I bought it (before I really got into the Jeep lifestyle) is to not care when I get hit by scumbag NYC taxi cabs. I had one stop short on me, and I destroyed his rear bumper, trunk, both tail-lights, and shattered his rear glass (Nissan Altima cab) and it didn't even scratch the powdercoat. I had a dashcam, so when he found out, he ran back to his cab and bolted. Filed a police report anyway, and gave them the footage just in case the a$$hole decides to hit me with a hit and run.

As for the front end sag, yes there is some. On my JKU sahara, it sagged about 3/4" with just the bumper. Rubicons will sag a bit less, sports might sag a tad more. A teraflex coil leveling kit fixed it right up. You can also install a spacer (although I'd recommend you do this once ALL your weightmods are installed) to compensate for the sag.

Lol...good review although I hate you have to go through all that! I woildnt make it up there...bama drivers are bad enough.

Im putting on a rough country 2.5 coil lift tomorrow night. Should be ok with that loft and the bumper. Did the leveling kit still level yiur jeep with the heavy bumper?

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Lol...good review although I hate you have to go through all that! I woildnt make it up there...bama drivers are bad enough.

Im putting on a rough country 2.5 coil lift tomorrow night. Should be ok with that loft and the bumper. Did the leveling kit still level yiur jeep with the heavy bumper?

It did, but when I added my monster winch (Zeon 10s) it dropped about 1/4" in the front. However, that was ok because I was planning on getting a rear bumper/carrier as well, which would have evened it all out.

I get compliments on it all the time.

9372506425_9b0657d39a_b.jpg

9372461275_f939c65be5_b.jpg

9372466635_d048050bff_b.jpg

8733622309_882b6af77e_b.jpg

Figured you might want to see some decent pics of it.

Last edited:

In5ane1

It did, but when I added my monster winch (Zeon 10s) it dropped about 1/4" in the front. However, that was ok because I was planning on getting a rear bumper/carrier as well, which would have evened it all out.

Thats a sweet winch. I looked at that one. For the price, the engo winch looks nice, and the rigged ridge as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thats a sweet winch. I looked at that one. For the price, the engo winch looks nice, and the rigged ridge as well.

Added pics in the above reply for ya. I wanted a sealed winch, and a synthetic line. There are definitely units that will get the job done for a lot less.:thumb:

In5ane1

Added pics in the above reply for ya. I wanted a sealed winch, and a synthetic line. There are definitely units that will get the job done for a lot less.:thumb:

Ok, now I hate you!

Nice pics!:thumbup:

I want the bumper and 50" led light bar! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom