Getting AFE exhaust, should i get axleback or catback?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a 2012 or newer, I might stick with the axle back as it will retain your resonator. Without the resonator, you'll find your exhaust to be on the loud side of things.

tkkim

If you have a 2012 or newer, I might stick with the axle back as it will retain your resonator. Without the resonator, you'll find your exhaust to be on the loud side of things.

What~? 2012 jk has resonator?

Chz when i install dynomax 39522, i ask dynomax about install and they said 2012 jk does not have resonator..

tlminh

I'm running year round without carpet or drain plugs, so it will be loud regardless.

If I delete the resonator, how much of a difference in sound will it make?

I'm mainly getting this to improve clearance. My resonator has a small dent in it from rock crawling and the exhaust tip was flattened. I had to open it up with a pair of pliers but it still looks like a sandwich.

tlminh

Just purchased the 49-46219 AFE MACH Force XP EXH 2.5in Axle-Back

Took about 2 1/4 hours to install

More than 2 hours was getting the stock exhaust off with soapy water, wd40, grease, ball joint separator (don't ask), and a large cresent wrench. And that was just the drivers side. Passenger side I said fugg it and cut off the hanger with a dremel (only cut half into the hanger, it simply broke off after that with some elbow grease). To remove the muffler from the tail pipe, just a ton of wd40 and rotate back and forth.

Hint: if you do this in your garage, put some cardboard down to soak up the wd40 (doh!)

Took 15 min to install the axleback. Greased the hangers and they slid right in

Sounds great, somewhat noticable and I have top off, carpet off, drainplugs out. Sitting in the driveway, I had to tell myself I heard it. Drove around the block and it is not bothersome at all. My wife, kids, dog, and neighbor will appreciate that it is not booming loud. Very Very subtle if you ask me

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
18 months ago when I started my build on my 2012 I ordered the aFe cold air intake, "Y" pipe and cat back. The first two worked out great. The cat back was a nightmare. I went through 4 sets and none of them fit correctly. I went with a Banks cat back and love it. If I had to do it again I would put the Dynomax Evolution comp system on. :twocents:

Aeraun

I have the AFE high tuck cat back on my '12 JKU. Install was pretty easy, stock exhaust was a little stubborn and needed to finagle the new one a hit since I was installing it in the driveway. I have no complaints about the system (I also have an AFE cold air intake), it sounds great, looks great all tucked under and haven't had any issues with it.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Still love it?

This threads a couple years old now. Just wondering how the AFE & Banks owners still feel? About to pull the trigger on the AFE 2.5.

QRS

This threads a couple years old now. Just wondering how the AFE & Banks owners still feel? About to pull the trigger on the AFE 2.5.

You should quote them in this thread, if they have the app it will notify them they've been quoted. You'll get a better chance to reach them.
At least it works on Android.

Top Bottom