Does size really matter?

Tranquillity

Don't get cocky I'm talking about tire size :D

Seriously, I'm watching a lot of video and noticed that most of WOL fellow jeeper are running 37" and 40" but I see some 35" along the way and I'd like to know if they were doing good ?

I'd like to hear feedback from both JK and JKU.

Thanks ! :rock:

StrizzyChris

Absolutely! 40" vs 35" is 2.5" of axle clearance and make the approach angle less steep and easier to get over an obstacle. 35's are very capable, but 40's are more capable. But 40's are boring on some trails since they dwarf the obstacle course.

Webe

Absolutely! 40" vs 35" is 2.5" of axle clearance and make the approach angle less steep and easier to get over an obstacle. 35's are very capable, but 40's are more capable. But 40's are boring on some trails since they dwarf the obstacle course.

Yeah, what he said. :cheesy: Also if its a daily driver a 35" is a little more street friendlier.

Skirmish

With the shorter wheelbase a two door can clear its belly on 35" easier than a JKU. For most of the rock we crawl around Vegas a 4 door can get by with 35's but its less noisy on 37's. We do a lot of dry waterfalls where break over angle is important. For lighter trails most can get by on 33" or a stock Rubi.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was very happy with my 35s and the performance offroad...but i got 37 envy very soon after and thats what I think I will be sticking with for a long time since its still my daily. I love my 37s offroad thats for sure.

mikefishes

I was very happy with my 35s and the performance offroad...but i got 37 envy very soon after and thats what I think I will be sticking with for a long time since its still my daily. I love my 37s offroad thats for sure.

It was your ride that gave me 37 envy. Now I need a new axel and DS.. I blame you !

dgriz

Pretty substantial price difference between 35's and 37's isn't there? Even more so than 33's vs 35's.

Besides c-gussets, anything else needed to upgrade for 37's that you don't do with 35's?

LeJerk

35" tires are very capable. 37" will obviously be a little better, but with 35" tires and good driving you can run almost everything.

mrmet1983

40s IMO ruin the challenge I have 35s now and can pretty much make my way through anything someone with 37s can but I will be going to 37s shortly

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
40s IMO ruin the challenge I have 35s now and can pretty much make my way through anything someone with 37s can but I will be going to 37s shortly

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Have you ever had 40's? Have you ever wheeled an area that would benefit from 40's?

mrmet1983

Have you ever had 40's? Have you ever wheeled an area that would benefit from 40's?

Never had 40s but have wheeled with people who do and like I said in my OP they always say it's makes moderate trails to easy.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Never had 40s but have wheeled with people who do and like I said in my OP they always say it's makes moderate trails to easy.

No offense to your wheeling but the stuff they have back east is nothing like the stuff out west. If you ever make it out here you can see some areas that would benefit from 40's.

Moochie

Pretty substantial price difference between 35's and 37's isn't there? Even more so than 33's vs 35's.

Besides c-gussets, anything else needed to upgrade for 37's that you don't do with 35's?

You need gussets with 35's. You are asking for trouble with out.

Atch

I meant to imply that gussets would be needed in both. Just was sure if 37s need even more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You will want to regear with 37's and look at upgrading your front shafts if they are still stock.

Moochie

I meant to imply that gussets would be needed in both. Just was sure if 37s need even more.

Chromoly axle shafts would be a smart move. Mainly because they come with full circle clips on the u-joints. Most axle failures happen when the stock u-joint clips fail, causing the bearing cap to come off which will destroy the joint.

Eventually the stock Rubicon lockers will need to be replaced. If you drive fast and hard your axle tubes will bend. This happens quicker when you have a coil over suspension. (You will drive faster).

dgriz

You will want to regear with 37's and look at upgrading your front shafts if they are still stock.

Is this due to extra tire weight or does the circumference have anything to do with it?

Top Bottom