HELP!!! Anyone Here a PARK RANGER?

1yellowjk

So I'm about to retire from the USAF after 21+ years and I want to be a Park Ranger. Now you may laugh at the thought of this being someones dream job, but hear me out. I love the outdoors and love talking with people. For the past 20 years I have been confined to rooms with no windows and more security than Fort Knox. I have had to deal with national security issues and the lives of people in my hands and never able to talk about work with the wife.....very stressful and taxing. I want a job where I can enjoy life and nature.

I would like to know if anyone is a Park Ranger and how you like or dislike the job. I am leaning towards the Colorado area or Arkansas....somewhere near the mountains would be great. My wife is a school teacher and I still have kids in school so being somewhere with good schools is a must.

Thanks guys and wish me luck, I'm about to apply on USAJOBS.com. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody is laughing here. I've thought about becoming one in the past before. Not sure what's all involved but I do wish you the best of luck.

Millerj87

Good luck man seems like a great career path I'm shooting for Florida fish and game myself I hope you get it!! :)

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

bl17z90

That sounds like it could be fun.

Just to show my confusion though.....you are called 1yellowjk and your avatar appears to be a green jk? :thinking:

GCM 2

That's is an honorable career choice and as Wayoflife said, I'm certainly not laughing at that decision. I can't count the number of times I have asked a Park Ranger a question a gotten more info than I could ever use because they were so deep with knowledge of the area. Good luck, and it certainly would be awesome to have you here on the forum as a resident Park Ranget expert!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
It would be sweet to be a park ranger. Some get the use of a cabin in the park property. The closest I've come is roll playing with my wife.

1yellowjk

That sounds like it could be fun.

Just to show my confusion though.....you are called 1yellowjk and your avatar appears to be a green jk? :thinking:

LOL..Much to lazy to Change my name...1yellowjk because this was my old JK.. :)

Thanks guys...I've been getting slack from the guys at work because they are all about money. My skill set is in high demand and most of our guys make around 6 figures when they get out or retire from active duty (depending on the area)...I don't want the money as much as I want my stress level reduced and get out and enjoy nature and life.

Attachments

• Jeep odl style.jpg
    Jeep odl style.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 142
  • jeep artish.jpg
    jeep artish.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 144

Cajun JK

1yellowjk- are you a member of Bayou Jeepers? I was/am a member. We PCS'd out of Shreveport in Aug 2011. Should be back down there next year.

jhires

So I'm about to retire from the USAF after 21+ years and I want to be a Park Ranger. Now you may laugh at the thought of this being someones dream job, but hear me out. I love the outdoors and love talking with people. For the past 20 years I have been confined to rooms with no windows and more security than Fort Knox. I have had to deal with national security issues and the lives of people in my hands and never able to talk about work with the wife.....very stressful and taxing. I want a job where I can enjoy life and nature.

I would like to know if anyone is a Park Ranger and how you like or dislike the job. I am leaning towards the Colorado area or Arkansas....somewhere near the mountains would be great. My wife is a school teacher and I still have kids in school so being somewhere with good schools is a must.

Thanks guys and wish me luck, I'm about to apply on USAJOBS.com. :)

My father was a forester for 35 years, retiring from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (aka DNR around these parts). After he retired, he started working for the NPS as a ranger and interpretive guide. He still is and is still hiking around the outdoors at 70. He absolutely loves his job. So far he has worked at the Sequoia National Park, Mt. St. Helens, Yosemite, and for the last few years he's been located in Stehekin, WA on Lake Chelan for the North Cascades National Park complex.

He absolutely loves it! As he likes to put it, "Every day is a vacation here, and I get paid to do it!" At 70 years old he is one of the healthiest and strongest people I know. He will outlive us all and when he dies of natural causes, the "natural cause" will be a bear or cougar.

Myself, my children, and my grandchildren all benefit from his job. Hiking, camping, fishing, all done in places where very few people ever get to go, and get to do it with someone who is experienced, and very excited to share the beauty and life of these places with us.

I wish you all the luck in finding such a job, and will be just a bit envious of you when you do.

1yellowjk

1yellowjk- are you a member of Bayou Jeepers? I was/am a member. We PCS'd out of Shreveport in Aug 2011. Should be back down there next year.
Was, not anymore, not my style of club anymore. I'm part of Trail Lizards which is sponsored by Landers and some will say just their marketing arm, but they do throw money at events and meetings so it is what it is...good people though. :) Look me up when you get back, I live in Dogwood out by LA Downs.

Top Bottom