i'm in tire shop for alignment.. Got some problem..

tkkim

So i changed rear brake pad yesterday just only pad not a rotor..

But now i'm in tire shop for alignment.. And they said if i changed brake pad, i have to make rotor surface be new by grinding? Whatever..

Cuz rotor has old pad pattern and if i use new brake pad on it.. It'd make problem they said..

So what should i do?

Paisano

So i changed rear brake pad yesterday just only pad not a rotor..

But now i'm in tire shop for alignment.. And they said if i changed brake pad, i have to make rotor surface be new by grinding? Whatever..

Cuz rotor has old pad pattern and if i use new brake pad on it.. It'd make problem they said..

So what should i do?

You replaced both rear brake pads right? If you have the time and money I usually turn my rotors. If not it will take longer for the pads to seat but I say if you have no shimmy when braking leave it be. Just might wear new pads quicker is all. Not that big of a deal really.

tkkim

You replaced both rear brake pads right? If you have the time and money I usually turn my rotors. If not it will take longer for the pads to seat but I say if you have no shimmy when braking leave it be. Just might wear new pads quicker is all. Not that big of a deal really.

Yes i did both side

Um... They said it can cause stuck brake pad to rotor..

Turn mean is make rotor surface be new?

StrizzyChris

don't waste your money! Unless you let the pad go down so far that you were metal to metal on the rotor, then youll be fine. I never have mine shaved and have never had a problem. Is it the "best thing to do"...sure but not a must.

Paisano

Yes i did both side

Um... They said it can cause stuck brake pad to rotor..

Turn mean is make rotor surface be new?

Tell them no! Like Chris said many people don't turn rotors you'll be fine unless you were grinding metal to metal.

tkkim

don't waste your money! Unless you let the pad go down so far that you were metal to metal on the rotor, then youll be fine. I never have mine shaved and have never had a problem. Is it the "best thing to do"...sure but not a must.

O and one more thing.. As i posted about shaking my tire..

So i'm checking tire balance now..

If tire balance is right, it can be a bend rim...

So how can i check rim to know that is bent or not?

Ps - and i don't think it cause from bend axel. I rotate tire and shaking is gone.. So i doubt bend rim or tire balance..

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

well the best way to examine a rim is with the tire off and do a visual inspection with it as clean as you can get it. You can get it wet and slide your hand along the wheel to feel for dips...BUT that's a PITA and if the damage isn't visible then its not really enough to cause enough of an issue that some balancing would resolve.

Are you having shaking issues? I didn't see that in the OP

tkkim

well the best way to examine a rim is with the tire off and do a visual inspection with it as clean as you can get it. You can get it wet and slide your hand along the wheel to feel for dips...BUT that's a PITA and if the damage isn't visible then its not really enough to cause enough of an issue that some balancing would resolve.

Are you having shaking issues? I didn't see that in the OP

I don't really feel anything while i drive.. But my friend fallowed me and he found my right rear tire shake little bit compared with left side .. So..

StrizzyChris

I don't really feel anything while i drive.. But my friend fallowed me and he found my right rear tire shake little bit compared with left side .. So..

if you don't feel it, and its not causing any problems with driving/handling or wear pattern issues, then my guess is that its an optical illusion to your friend. If the tire is muddy or dirty at all in the treads it will give the illusion of the tire wobbling as it spins.

Markymark420

Like the others have said, unless you feel a pulsation in the steering when you brake or have signs of physical damage to the rotors, there is no need to turn the rotors.
When I change pads I usually take some 220grit sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad and run it over both braking surfaces of the rotor w/ brake cleaner to remove any pad deposits that may be left over on the rotor.

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom