Something isn't right.. Need some help

B-rab

Hey there sorry to bug you all with another question but I really need some info from someone with some knowledge. So I was crossing a street at around 35mph in 4th. (Automatic)
I went over a small bump and heard a loud noise ( metal hitting metal ).
I instantly look at my rpm's and I'm around 800rpm... I pulled over to find a leak dripping & a high hissing noise. the hiss was coming out of the screw that you can see in the picture below. The fluid was at 1st like water but then after looking at the ground it had a pinkish / red color? It seemed to be coming out from above and leaking down onto the screw but its possible that it was leaking from the screw also..
I dropped it off at the dealership and they said they had a service adviser drive her around and no issues or codes. But I know something isn't right.. What should I do?

Thanks again for your help and talking the time out of your day!

Cheers,
Mike
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377550808.878539.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377550819.911330.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377550834.944695.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE! B-l2ab!

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm no mechanic but the red/pink color would seem to indicated transmission fluid. What year is the jeep? The fluid looks like it is coming down from the top, over the sticker, along the seam and then off the screw. But maybe its just the picture. Incidently I couldn't find that part number on the internet. :thinking:

Did it drive fine at the stealership?

B-rab

Haha no you can see in the pics it was pulled over and towed as soon as it happened

Markymark420

Any transmission service recently?
Could be that it your fluid was over serviced and the bump you went over caused some overflow (not sure where the vent tube is).
Could the hissing that you report have been the fluid dripping on the exhaust crossover?

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

B-rab

No services recently, its a 5 month old 2013. The hiss could simply be from heat so absolutely. Really just curious where this leak came from and how it was caused ?

JAGS

Hooked
No services recently, its a 5 month old 2013. The hiss could simply be from heat so absolutely. Really just curious where this leak came from and how it was caused ?

Being this is the case, your warranty should pretty much cover any situation.

Just make sure to get diagnosis documented so if something related happens in the future, you have record.

Markymark420

Now that I thought about it better, my A/C evaporator drips water out near the transmission in that same area. It may have been just that. After it dripped onto the ground it might have just appeared pink because it liquified whatever was previously dried on the ground where you happened to stop.

Not sure about the metallic noise, maybe you hit your bump stops when you went over the "small bump"

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

B-rab

This wasn't like a small drip, when this hit at first it left a 1 ft puddle almost within seconds. Then when pulling onto the tow truck the liquid continued to poor down.

B-rab

Well they seem to thing everything is ok with no issues. I'm a little hesitant of this but I don't know what else I can do. They are going to drive her tomorrow and see if she overheats or shows and signs of damage or issues. :-/

Kinda makes me happy & sad at the same time.. Lol

B-rab

Btw thanks for everyone's post and comments really helping me from having a brain aneurysm at work tonight!

Last edited:

B-rab

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377621220.440113.jpg

Anybody read this yet?

(AP) For Wranglers with 3.6-liter V-6 engines, Chrysler says a power steering fluid line can wear a hole in the transmission oil cooler line. The SUVs can leak fluid, damaging automatic transmissions. Dealers will inspect the lines for free and replace them or install a protective sleeve. The recall begins in July.
Also, 221,100 Jeep Wrangler SUVs with 3.6-liter engines from model years 2012 and 2013 will be recalled because of possible leaking of transmission fluid. Chrysler said a component of the Wrangler's power steering system may rub against a transmission fluid cooling line, causing the fluid to leak.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
What Paisano said.

It's an easy inspection. Driver's side front wheel well behind the plastic mud guard. You can look and see if the lines are touching/rubbing. :thumb:

JAGS

Hooked
View attachment 46451

Anybody read this yet?

Yes I've read it and have been waiting for my dealer to get the part to fix mine. I inspected mine a couple months ago and sure enough my tranny cooler line was half way worn thru already. Put a hose between the two. Looks like my dealer should have the parts now.

What Paisano said.

It's an easy inspection. Driver's side front wheel well behind the plastic mud guard. You can look and see if the lines are touching/rubbing. :thumb:

Just got my notice yesterday. There was a thread on this a while back (pre-recall) and I inspected mine then. There was a 1/2 inch gap or more between the lines all the way along. But I'm due for a service in the next couple weeks, so will have this be part of the service.

B-rab

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377711892.258508.jpg

This is where the water is leaking out of. If you can see the top right of the photo.
If anyone has a 12 or 13 jku with automatic transmission can you please tell me if something should be attached here.

GimmePaw

Isn't that the A/C condensate drainage tube? Can't tell by the pic very well... Is that tube located under where the dash is?

Top Bottom