Metal screeching sound

Shark0587

Hey guys I have a problem, just noticed it this am on drive to work, I am hearing what sounds like a metal screeching sound that comes and goes when I stop and while I'm driving without touching brake.....any ideas?

David1tontj

The first thing that comes to mind is your brake pads. Is it worse when you apply the brakes? It might even pull one way or the other when braking?? If not, can you tell if its coming from front? Rear? The more info the better, but metal on metal is not good and needs to be checked out asap

I just re read your post.. Screeching vs scraping is way different. Screeching could be the wear indicator on your pads. Possibly time for some new ones before they wear out and eat into your rotors

2005 Tj, BDS long arm, d60hp front, 10.25 rear, 513s and lockers, f&r winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

JK12

Like the last post check the brake pad wear indicators I had this and it was my brakes it would do it on and off. It's usually a loud screech so check the brake pads

Shark0587

Its not constant when I brake, just off and on durong like 5 second intervals. I hear it more at low rates of speed, was till about 25. No pull to left or right, and its coming from my driver side front

Markymark420

I have had this issue pop up a few times, usually from rear brakes and more pronounced when turning while applying light braking.
To fix I pull the caliper/pads/clips and Clean everything up really good, removing built up brake dust and any corrosion.
Apply a light coat of brake grease to both sides of the spring before re-installation, the ears of the pads. Also apply a light coat where the caliper touches the inboard pad and where the outboard pad sits against the caliper.

Sent via Ku SATCOM using the WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

^
Obviously be carefull not to get the grease on the actual pad material an be sure to use brake cleaner on your caliper before re assembly, especially if you get greasy hands from dismantling.

2005 Tj, BDS long arm, d60hp front, 10.25 rear, 513s and lockers, f&r winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Don't just inspect the outer pad, be sure to look at the inner pad as well - you may have to remove the caliper to get a good look.

Rear passenger side tends to wear faster than the others.

JAGS

Hooked
There's also a heat shield that can get loose and misplaced. A similar noise would happen to m when applying brakes are driving down the road a compressed my shocks.

Dealership said original shield was not set. And replaced. Problem solved. The notice was actually the sway bar making contact.

May not be your problem, but something to look at.

Shark0587

Ok now this sound is constant even when going down highway turning left or right is jacked up now, I let go of the wheel and the wheel jerks around and tries straightening up, almost as if it is being jerked from my grip. Taking to dealer sh*t tomorrow and hoping it is nothing too grave. I haven't had it 3 months yet and I'm already having issues with it.......anyone else ever have this problem?

David1tontj

Ok now this sound is constant even when going down highway turning left or right is jacked up now, I let go of the wheel and the wheel jerks around and tries straightening up, almost as if it is being jerked from my grip. Taking to dealer sh*t tomorrow and hoping it is nothing too grave. I haven't had it 3 months yet and I'm already having issues with it.......anyone else ever have this problem?

Did you get a chance to pull the wheels off and Check those pads? Sounds like you've got a bigger problem...

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

Update: Whew.......just needs rear brake pads and new rotors, I was worried I messed something up on trails

Next time you hear a squeak, sqeel, scrape, etc, take a look at your pads.. Glad to hear that's all it was, and next time you'll know so you can save your rotors!

jeeeep

Hooked
rear brakes wear faster then the front, also rear passenger side wears faster then the driver side...usually the inside pad that will wear to metal before the squeal tab starts to sound....

David1tontj

I just re read your post.. Screeching vs scraping is way different. Screeching could be the wear indicator on your pads. Possibly time for some new ones before they wear out and eat into your rotors

Do I get points?? I win!! Nailed it!! Haha. Glad it wasn't something major!

Top Bottom