Question about 2012 JK front and rear differentials.

Beau beau

I have a 2 door sport and the window sticker says it came with 3.21 gears. I am running 35" toyos and was wondering about regearing the front and rear. I was told that any JK with 3.21 gears would have to replace the entire carrier unit to install lower gears such as 4.10's or 4.88's because the carrier was smaller. I guess my question is was this correct. I feel like I don't need much lower gears because the 2012 has a little spunk to begin with, but I would like to increase my fuel milage a little because I do drive my JK every day to work about 40 mile round trip. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2 door sport and the window sticker says it came with 3.21 gears. I am running 35" toyos and was wondering about regearing the front and rear. I was told that any JK with 3.21 gears would have to replace the entire carrier unit to install lower gears such as 4.10's or 4.88's because the carrier was smaller. I guess my question is was this correct. I feel like I don't need much lower gears because the 2012 has a little spunk to begin with, but I would like to increase my fuel milage a little because I do drive my JK every day to work about 40 mile round trip. Thanks

what you heard is true. in order to run a higher ratio, you will need to get a new set of carriers or lockers. sorry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks I was affraid of that. Is the same true with the unlimited JK.

has nothing to do with your jk being a 2-door so yes, the same would hold true with the 4-door. it's about the carrier that you have installed in the axle.

Top Bottom