Need some help deciding... EVO D Ring Bolt ins or JCR Rear Dagger Bumper

aaronstephen

I am really undecided. I am looking to keep a good departure angle since I'm only sittin on 2.5" of lift. Not sure what route I am sold on yet. If I go with the jcr bumper it gives more protection and replaces the rear hitch which will give me a bit more clearance. EVO d ring mounts keep it simple and light.

Anything else you could add to this?

JCR Rear Bumper link... http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JK-RDAG.html

crowrb29

From my understanding you would have to cut the frame rails and remove the crossmember for the jcr. Definitely a sexy bumper though.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was going to go with the jcr or the poison spyder version but didnt want to cut the crossmember yet so I went with the evo d-rings and couldnt be happier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's weird to me that people think the JK's has poor departure angles or that hitting your bumper and it protecting your spare tire is somehow a bad thing. And, I find it crazy that there are people who actually want to cut off a structural cross member and replace it with a bolt on bumper. As it is, we've seen enough movement in the frame of both our JK's to cause visible and permanent body twist. I don't know, the last thing I would want to do is reduce the structural rigidity of my frame but, that's just me.

aaronstephen

It's weird to me that people think the JK's has poor departure angles or that hitting your bumper and it protecting your spare tire is somehow a bad thing. And, I find it crazy that there are people who actually want to cut off a structural cross member and replace it with a bolt on bumper. As it is, we've seen enough movement in the frame of both our JK's to cause visible and permanent body twist. I don't know, the last thing I would want to do is reduce the structural rigidity of my frame but, that's just me.

So I take it, you would lean in the direction of the EVO D Ring mounts? 😉

I hear what your saying and this is why I have been going back and forth on this decision. Helpful thoughts so far. 👍

2007 JKU

Banned
I have the JRC Rear Dagger Tire Carrier Bumper - Deluxe
I like it have never touched it even on steep ledges. I did remake the tire carrier..IMO just not up to holding 37"
NO issues in any regards to problems cutting of the cross member that's not gona happen. That's nuts to even think that. Been wheeling for 20+ years and have build custom one off rigs so have a little experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I take it, you would lean in the direction of the EVO D Ring mounts? 

I hear what your saying and this is why I have been going back and forth on this decision. Helpful thoughts so far. 

If that was my only other choice, yeah, that's what I would be leaning toward and clearly, what I have done. But, this is not to say that just about any other aftermarket bumper wouldn't do just fine.

I have the JRC Rear Dagger Tire Carrier Bumper - Deluxe
I like it have never touched it even on steep ledges.

Still don't know what the big deal is about hitting a heavy duty rear bumper? :idontknow:

NO issues in any regards to problems cutting of the cross member that's not gona happen. That's nuts to even think that. Been wheeling for 20+ years and have build custom one off rigs so have a little experience.

Well, you got me there. I'm just a newbie that likes to mall crawl. Maybe that's why my B-pillar is cranked back enough that I can slip my fingers between it and the driver side door. :crazyeyes:

munstie

I'm running the shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier. Do ring mounts built into it, the carrier is holding a 35" Toyo at the moment have smacked the bumper pretty good a few times, and it has held up fine.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

JAGS

Hooked
Well, you got me there. I'm just a newbie that likes to mall crawl. Maybe that's why my B-pillar is cranked back enough that I can slip my fingers between it and the driver side door. :crazyeyes:

You have to have a picture of that lying around somewhere. Remember the first time you showed that to me. Was like my first SnG and I thought to myself instantly, "what did I just get myself into." :eek:

But drive thru must be easy as your burger, fries and coke can all just be passed with doors closed and windows up. :crazyeyes::cheesy:

2007 JKU

Banned

That's got nothing to do with the question at hand or the elimination of the cross brace to install a tighter fitting bumper..the bumper will replace the support provided by the cross brace. If the OP is concerned weld in another brace.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's got nothing to do with the question at hand or the elimination of the cross brace to install a tighter fitting bumper..the bumper will replace the support provided by the cross brace. If the OP is concerned weld in another brace.

If your 20+ years of experience says that a c-channel bumper that is bolted on or even welded on to a frame is just as good as a boxed in cross member, who am I to argue with that. I suppose it would also do just fine using the hitch receiver to tow or to do a heavy side pull recovery without any issues. Again, I'm new to all this Jeep stuff and would defer to your expertise.

I'm still not sure why it's such a problem to hit a heavy duty bumper. I mean, if it's such a concern, why not just remove the cross member and leave it bare? :idontknow:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If that was my only other choice, yeah, that's what I would be leaning toward and clearly, what I have done. But, this is not to say that just about any other aftermarket bumper wouldn't do just fine.

Still don't know what the big deal is about hitting a heavy duty rear bumper? :idontknow:

Id also think the resale takes a beating. If I found out that someone cut the OEM frame, no matter the reason, I would pay them AT MOST 50% of the vehicle's actual value. I can understand doing a drastic change for a drastic mod (say notching a frame to fit a cummins diesel) but for something so not necessary? No way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess my real point here is that as is, the JK frame isn't the strongest thing in the world to begin with. Way better than the TJ or even YJ, CJ or old school CJ for sure but, still on the weak side. During the Vegas to Reno Best in the Desert Race, EVO 1 literally broke its frame near the bump stop while towing out the Impact trophy truck. Sure, that is a big heavy truck and but the circumstances aren't so far fetched for your regular Jeep guy. I personally can't imagine purposefully compromising the integrity of this already "just okay frame" for benefit of hitting your bumper on the trail less. But of course, that's just me.

Top Bottom