possible seized sparkplug

Jeep_Dawg08

Ok.. got 4 plugs changed out and wires..
Got to the 5th one, busted it loose and then it started to tighten up.
My worries are this, it's either seized up or cross threading, not sure which.
I stopped there put the new wires on and started up.. slight miss and sluggish on low rpms.
Not sure really how to proceed. Fear is breaking the plug altogether or worse doing head damage.
Any advice to this? And ya gotta love the angles of the passenger side, backwards. I have 4 new plugs and 2 older ones in.

Ok.. got 4 plugs changed out and wires..
Got to the 5th one, busted it loose and then it started to tighten up.
My worries are this, it's either seized up or cross threading, not sure which.
I stopped there put the new wires on and started up.. slight miss and sluggish on low rpms.
Not sure really how to proceed. Fear is breaking the plug altogether or worse doing head damage.
Any advice to this? And ya gotta love the angles of the passenger side, backwards. I have 4 new plugs and 2 older ones in.

Sounds like anyway you slice it your going to have something. Your either cross threaded, or seized... I'd get some sort of lubercant in there for seized or rusted bolts, and put them in there, and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then I'd force it out if need be. Check damage, come up with a solution based on what you see.

Good luck!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Sort of.... It sounds like a bit of carbon build up on the end of the plug which is nothing unusual but can be a PITA. Best chance of getting it out without damage is to spray some WD40 in there let it sit for a couple of minutes the tighten the plug back up as normal. Warm up the motor before trying to remove again as they come out easier when hot and slowly work it back and forth while flooding it with WD40. You want the plug to be loose in the threads when you spray it in so it can wick down the threads and dissolve the carbon. Takes a while but will it come out

Jern26

Mix acetone and automatic Trans fluid 50/50 in a spray bottle. Spray it and let it sit overnight. If that won't break it loose you might as well take an impact to it, cause its reaaaaaaally seized up. That little mixture works magic

EDIT: Do not let it get on anything plastic or rubber

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Worse case, if there is head damage, you COULD due a heli-coil repair if it's easy to get to. I've seen heli-coils that have lasted with no problem and I've seen some come out soon after repair. It's a gamble, but may beat replacing the head if the plug doesn't come out. If this is the first time the plugs have come out, then it's very unlikely it is cross-threaded.

swampdog

Sounds like anyway you slice it your going to have something. Your either cross threaded, or seized... I'd get some sort of lubercant in there for seized or rusted bolts, and put them in there, and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then I'd force it out if need be. Check damage, come up with a solution based on what you see.

Good luck!

How do you stumble across a 2+ year old thread as a first time poster? This is a serious question, is this a Google search result?

WJCO

Meme King
How do you stumble across a 2+ year old thread as a first time poster? This is a serious question, is this a Google search result?

Lol. I didn't even catch that. Poor guy has been hanging around since 2013 waiting for his answer. :cheesy: And it appears back in 2013, no one ever responded to him....reminds me of Milton from office space.

Untitled.jpg

swampdog

Lol. I didn't even catch that. Poor guy has been hanging around since 2013 waiting for his answer. :cheesy: And it appears back in 2013, no one ever responded to him....reminds me of Milton from office space.

View attachment 181561

Seriously. Thank god this guy popped in tonight to lend some advice. Poor old OP has been waiting by the keyboard patiently with a dead jeep in the garage. If he would have put some WD-40 on it when he originally posted, surely it would have loosened up by now.

WJCO

Meme King

Good luck!

Welcome to WAL. :standing wave:

Top Bottom