P1898

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check engine light came on my XJ and it looks like it might be a P1898. After doing a quick check, this is what I found...

Vehicle Application:
1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L
Customer Concern:
Transmission code P1898. Transmission does not shift correctly or Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is not working correctly.
Tests/Procedures:
1. Check if the TCC is working OK. The code is either for solenoid #1 functional fault or the TCC solenoid functional fault.

2. If solenoid #1 is stuck open, the transmission will only get 1st and 4th gear. If solenoid #1 is stuck closed, the transmission will only get 2nd and 3rd gear.

3. If the TCC solenoid is stuck closed, TCC never locks up. If the TCC solenoid is stuck open, TCC stays locked up all the time.
Potential Causes:
Solenoid #1
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid
Diagnostic Codes:
P1898

Anyone here ever deal with this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I knew about the cj, the and the old white xj you had. But didn't know you got another one. Got plans for this one?

Actually, I used to have a 94 black XJ. I still have the 97 white XJ and hope to give it a mild build soon.

Tigrcky

so we might need more info here. does it shift through all 4 gears? and if not which gear is not being used? the valve bodies on the AW4 were not common for going out so this leads me to think that it could be a wiring problem or a TCM (TCC) :thinking:

Top Bottom