What's the Importance of Hydro Assist

Krieger

I'm getting closer to the final build day,
Im courious about PSC or other brands.
What's the deal?
I'm going to be on 37"
Tires and I'm planing on running on the rocks. Do I need hydro assist? Or can I run fine without it.
Your feedback would be apprenticed.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm getting closer to the final build day,
Im curious about PSC or other brands.
What's the deal?
I'm going to be on 37"
Tires and I'm planing on running on the rocks. Do I need hydro assist? Or can I run fine without it.
Your feedback would be appreciated.

Eventually the stress of turning 37's on a stock steering box will come to a head. But with that said plenty of folks on 37's without hydro assist. I am planning for it eventually just lots of $$$$. PSC is what I've seen, it's tested and true.

munstie

Have you looked into the redneck ram I've heard it's cheaper than psc

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

Krieger

So it's something I should think about.
But I'll be fine for now.
Damn this deep ass rabbit hole!!
Thanks.

SDG

Caught the Bug
It takes a lot of the stress off of the pitman arm correct?

Do people generally upgrade to a high volume ps pump as well like the new PSC one? Or just a larger fluid reservoir. .. or both?

StrizzyChris

It takes a lot of the stress off of the pitman arm correct?

Yes, but its the stress transferred from the pitman arm up through the sector shaft and into the steering box thats the biggest concern. Pitman arms, for the most part, are solid so they dont commonly become damaged. The steering box is what will see the damage from prolonged stress from big tires.

Atch

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377724734.742205.jpg this is why I'm in the process of installing a PSC kit! My first trip playing on rocks with my 37's was very short!

Krieger

O snap, should I aiming for this sooner than later? I'm real light on the skinny pedal. And if I choose a solid line could I get by for a bit? Thinking deeply now.

1377725595466.jpg
I have the PSC and it makes a HUGE difference on my 37's. My kit came with new res, steering box, pump and intercooler that fits inside my grill. 1 finger steering now ! It isnt uncommon for me to overshoot a parking stall because I forget how responsive it is now. Wasnt hard to install except the instructions are seperated into each component and downloaded seperately. Just be careful not to hook the hydro lines to the ram backwards, it will let you know right away,lol

I might be mistaken but I think mine was around $2400 but I also got it right from PSC, no middleman, it's better that way.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I also opted for them to send me a new box rather than letting them rebuild mine. Didn't want to be without my ride.

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Krieger

Thanks for the info everyone.
I think I'm going to bump this item up on my list of now vs later.
Cheers!!

Edit: I just thought of something, couldn't I just upgrade the steering box to a heavy duty one? Say out of a large pickup or something. Or is it a waste of time.

Last edited:

Prime

Maybe when you put yours on you could do a write up on it.?? I hate reading instructions I would rather see it then do it...

Rollincoal420

With the hydro assist, does the steering wheel still return to center on its own? I've heard with full hydro it doesn't. You have to steer it back to straight coming out of a turn. The equipment at work is like this too. Full hydro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Moochie

With the hydro assist, does the steering wheel still return to center on its own? I've heard with full hydro it doesn't. You have to steer it back to straight coming out of a turn. The equipment at work is like this too. Full hydro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

From some info I have seen (there's a debate on this) - full hydro is not allowed in California because if you blow a hose you will loose all your steering. With hydro assist you still have a mechanical connection to your steering box if you loose a hose.

Top Bottom