Ford F250 Axles?

StrizzyChris

I found a pair of Ford F250 SuperDuty Front D60 and Rear Sterling 10.50 1 ton axles that I was thinking to use for my conversion. While I am awaiting Mel's call for info and set up a start date of my build, I turn to my friends for a little input! ;)

My Build: Going with the Evo High Clearance LA and Coilover (97.625% sure ill do DTD). I want Dynatrac's but could save a FORTUNE going this route to put into more mods. Why cant they be 2K an axle?!?!

My problem: I have no knowledge of pro's and con's of the ford axles. Also what I need to make sure I have to make them compatible with my keep(other than the obvious jeep brackets). Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I would say toner rings front and rear, e-brakes setup, I think the diff sits far to driver on front Ford axle (verify it wont hit frame at full bump), and are you sure its a d60?

Reason I ask is I currently pulled axles from an 02 superduty (f250) and thought it was d60 front and sterling 10.5 rear. Turns out front was d50 (looks like d60, but smaller ring gear, pinion, axle shafts, etc). Dont get me wrong, d50 > d44 :)

Sterling10.5:
1336693462073.jpg

Dana 50:
IMG_20120510_190455.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you live close enough to dynatrac - i might stop in and take a look of their cutaway display in their lobby to see the differences between the two.

StrizzyChris

I would say toner rings front and rear, e-brakes setup, I think the diff sits far to driver on front Ford axle (verify it wont hit frame at full bump), and are you sure its a d60?

Reason I ask is I currently pulled axles from an 02 superduty (f250) and thought it was d60 front and sterling 10.5 rear. Turns out front was d50 (looks like d60, but smaller ring gear, pinion, axle shafts, etc). Dont get me wrong, d50 > d44 :)

Yeah I did some research and I think pre-2004 there are 50's with 60's being an option but they look nearly identical. The ones I found are 2009 with 10K miles on them and 2005 or newer only 60's in the Super Duty were offered. I will have to look into it and check about possible clearance issues though, thanks!

StrizzyChris said:
Yeah I did some research and I think pre-2004 there are 50's with 60's being an option but they look nearly identical. The ones I found are 2009 with 10K miles on them and 2005 or newer only 60's in the Super Duty were offered. I will have to look into it and check about possible clearance issues though, thanks!

Think its stamped into the housing...I'll check location when I get home.

Nevermind, not stamped in. Good luck checking clearances dude! Hopefully this will be a relatively "cheap" way to beef up the drivetrain of your JK to take on some big tires!

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Be sure your not getting a D50. They look the exact same externally. The axle shafts are the same at the outter end and have the same stub shafts. The D50 however necks down in diameter to a 30 spline at the diff, and has a smaller ring gear.

Top Bottom