Oh no another noob help me build it thread!!

I apologize in advance to all of you who are reading another help me thread. My head is swimming from all the reading and I just need some opinions. So here it goes;

my Jeep is a 2013 J/K Freedom edition 2 dr sport 3K miles on it now. Unfortunately it came with 3.21 gears but it does have 17's on it. Its an automatic. I drive it in many ways, around town mostly but in the mud and trails up north too. No real mountains to speak of and no huge rock climbing opportunities yet. I want it capable for some climbing but mostly for trails which have mud holes. My current mods are all little stuff that has no effect on drivability except maybe for the Ace rock sliders that I did first.

I cannot figure an "order" to get my stuff. I am thinking about a bumper first. Poison Spyder mid or JCR half sunk with hoop mid width. Looking eventually for a winch (Warn or Superwinch 9.5) but can hold off. That would be my next purchase(s) so far not so difficult. Then the next thoughts start.

I want 35's but see a cascade of things that come with them. I want a lift of 2.5 I see that RE has a nice set up (RE 2.5 lift do I get the shocks or use my new ones that are stock? I would also get AEV Geometry correction brackets and jks quicker discos) and I would like something like that but what is necessary.

My thoughts are with 35's and the lift I need; A new front driveshaft. Should I change out all the hardware to grade 8? Do I need Gussets for the front axle? Do I need brake line extensions? Do I need to regear (that in itself is a head wobbler) 3.74 or 4.11 or what? I am not crawling and I do hiway driving also so what is my best combo if that is possible. Now should I do a locker instead? Electric or air? After that I am thinking my stock spare tire holder wont cut it so I am looking at a new rear bumper set up too. I have to get a programmer to change everything around too.

Then the thought of just being a poser for a while with a body lift or a bb but I don't want to carve on the stock flares and air box if I don't have to. What about the pinch seam?

I ask the Wisconsin Midwest guys what they do/did to their Jeeps for some local input but you HD rock crawler guys can pipe in too. Also, last but not least what will putting 35's on eventually make fail on the Jeep? Gimme a ball park on what you estimate a cost to be and an order that I can do this without getting divorced.

After all of this would 33's be less of a headache in terms of must do mods or am I basically in the same boat? I could do the lift or BB cut what comes along with this process?

Have at me and once again thanks for reading this far and I do apologize for the ten millionth help me decide thread.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I apologize in advance to all of you who are reading another help me thread. My head is swimming from all the reading and I just need some opinions. So here it goes;

my Jeep is a 2013 J/K Freedom edition 2 dr sport 3K miles on it now. Unfortunately it came with 3.21 gears but it does have 17's on it. Its an automatic. I drive it in many ways, around town mostly but in the mud and trails up north too. No real mountains to speak of and no huge rock climbing opportunities yet. I want it capable for some climbing but mostly for trails which have mud holes. My current mods are all little stuff that has no effect on drivability except maybe for the Ace rock sliders that I did first.

I cannot figure an "order" to get my stuff. I am thinking about a bumper first. Poison Spyder mid or JCR half sunk with hoop mid width. Looking eventually for a winch (Warn or Superwinch 9.5) but can hold off. That would be my next purchase(s) so far not so difficult. Then the next thoughts start.

I want 35's but see a cascade of things that come with them. I want a lift of 2.5 I see that RE has a nice set up (RE 2.5 lift do I get the shocks or use my new ones that are stock? I would also get AEV Geometry correction brackets and jks quicker discos) and I would like something like that but what is necessary.

My thoughts are with 35's and the lift I need; A new front driveshaft. Should I change out all the hardware to grade 8? Do I need Gussets for the front axle? Do I need brake line extensions? Do I need to regear (that in itself is a head wobbler) 3.74 or 4.11 or what? I am not crawling and I do hiway driving also so what is my best combo if that is possible. Now should I do a locker instead? Electric or air? After that I am thinking my stock spare tire holder wont cut it so I am looking at a new rear bumper set up too. I have to get a programmer to change everything around too.

Then the thought of just being a poser for a while with a body lift or a bb but I don't want to carve on the stock flares and air box if I don't have to. What about the pinch seam?

I ask the Wisconsin Midwest guys what they do/did to their Jeeps for some local input but you HD rock crawler guys can pipe in too. Also, last but not least what will putting 35's on eventually make fail on the Jeep? Gimme a ball park on what you estimate a cost to be and an order that I can do this without getting divorced.

After all of this would 33's be less of a headache in terms of must do mods or am I basically in the same boat? I could do the lift or BB cut what comes along with this process?

Have at me and once again thanks for reading this far and I do apologize for the ten millionth help me decide thread.

well that was quite a read let me see here....... for the type of off roading you are doing as of now i would try and get recovery gear first. this may include the bumper and winch along with some tow straps. these will obviously be helpful in getting you out of those sticky situations lol.

as for lift and tires 2.5 is good to clear 35's. also being two door you will prob get closer to 3" on some of the lifts you have to choose from. a front driveshaft will not be nesessary right away so you can hold off on that.

now with the 35's and needing a regear we would be in a similar situation. i have a 2011 with the old 3.8 motor and 3.73 gears. i also have 35's. (basically the equivilent of what your set up would be) i have not regeared yet because it honestly isnt that bad IMO. i will regear eventually to 4.88 gears to get some of the power back but for now its great for highway driving. keep the RPMs really low so my MPG went back up.

JK1

dont start modding it never stops that is the less headache.:cheesy:

Last edited:

JK1

I dont know if this will help you but here it goes..... find a jeep you like and figure out what it has then start building towards it.... I for instance like Rubicat so i have been slowly working in that direction....

look at a 2.5 in used BB for now to get your 35's under it then drive it for awhile..This will give you time to see what you like and dont like and what you need and dont need.. maybe you'll find that that is all you need and you didnt break the bank to do it.. just my 2 cents

welcome to the world of never ending mods..lol

seanb123

I dont know if this will help you but here it goes..... find a jeep you like and figure out what it has then start building towards it.... I for instance like Rubicat so i have been slowly working in that direction....

look at a 2.5 in used BB for now to get your 35's under it then drive it for awhile..This will give you time to see what you like and dont like and what you need and dont need.. maybe you'll find that that is all you need and you didnt break the bank to do it.. just my 2 cents

welcome to the world of never ending mods..lol

Coz gave some good info and I'd have to disagree about getting a bb yes it's start but really not worth. I'd grab a starter lift with coils and then start adding control arms to make it better and that way you don't waste money on the bb. Also looking at jeeps and trying to mimic them in a little off beat. Jeeps are one of a kind vehicle. Each one should be to imo

jesse3638

Hooked
I second that. Do you're research and homework. That could save you in the long run. If there are local guys who have well built rigs see if you can't ride shotgun with them to see what the hardcore rigs are capable of. Build yours for the type of wheeling you intend to do. Doing the research first can save you in the end from upgrading components you already purchased. It may cost more up front but I feel its better to hold off and save than to buy something you may not want to replace it down the road. Just my :twocents:. No matter what, build it for you and not what other people say you should do and make sure to have fun...;).

jkmadness

Captain Ed (I'm also Captain Ed),but anyway....I'm gonna save you some money.....Go Straight to 35's (if you'll get 33's you're gonna want 35's), regear to 4.56 and lockers (otherwise double the labor for lockers down the road) and get a coil lift (3") and you'll be very happy.:)

JK1

Coz gave some good info and I'd have to disagree about getting a bb yes it's start but really not worth. I'd grab a starter lift with coils and then start adding control arms to make it better and that way you don't waste money on the bb. Also looking at jeeps and trying to mimic them in a little off beat. Jeeps are one of a kind vehicle. Each one should be to imo

i agree i dont want it to look exactlly like rubicat it just had the stance i wanted... As far as the BB and wasting money you can pick them up used for very little money.. if he wants a spring set up then by all means spend away and get what you want... get a short arm with ajustable lowers and a 2" lift... look at a JSPEC lift i have it and love it i have since swaped springs for 3.5" but every thing else works since its adjustable... do bilstiens shocks great on road shock and every once in a while off road.... since your jeep is new throw 35 on your stock rims and get some 1.5" spacers this will save ya some money unless you hate your rims... depending on shock lenght you may or may not need brake lines since the shocks become your limiting factor expecially up front once you diconnect.... if your gonna run 35 and go off road then your gonna want to weld on c-gussets at least would worry much about sleeves and trusses... i personally went cheap on the bumper and got a XHD rugged ridge and a ego synthetic winch for the fact i could get the whole set up for the price of the PS lite bumper.... and did the smitty built in the rear for 100.00 used... just to get by till i figured out pros and cons of tire carriers ( not a waste resold it for $100.00).. just giving you ideas and not trying to say do what i did but i have learned along the way that the bumpers i thought i wanted wasnt what i thought they were once i saw them in person and how they operated.... as far as gears--- that is something you'll have to decide i'm running 4:10 with the old motor and 37 and it doesnt really bother me i didnt buy the jeep to race lol....programmer AEV will do everything you need i got the super chips and i'm not that happy with it just my :twocents:

hope this helps a little to bad you werent a little closer i have a 2 " lift sitting in my garage with 35's....

Thanks for the good replies. Yes I will design it for the way I drive. It is a process to be sure. I still have many questions but will keep reading. The only advice that I wont take is to don't start modding as it never ends, that is one main reason I bought a Jeep. Its only money, the government prints more of it every day.

Top Bottom