Road Salt and your winch

I am in Wisconsin and they use salt in both rock form as well as the new liquid slurry they spray on the roads prior to a storm. My questions are simple, how does your winch and cable hold up the salt spray/bath it gets? What are the best winches and cable/rope combos to consider? I am assuming synthetic rope is better than cable. Sure I am in the market but I don't want to buy a winch every 2 years. Do you put a jacket on your winches or are they adequately sealed. Any failure stories out there?

Prime8

I live in Peoria Illinois and will be pulling my Warn PowerPlant off the front before the snow starts flying this winter.

mn jk jeeper

been running my ramsey 9500 patriot on the front since it was new
no issues I do spray my cable down with wd40 after I wash it in the salt season
it does sit pretty low in my bumper and the liscence plate covers the fairlead
I also pack the rollers with grease periodicly to keep them moving freely

I have used my winch more in the winter than any other season
usually pull my buddies after they try to play in the fields and ditches

been running my ramsey 9500 patriot on the front since it was new
no issues I do spray my cable down with wd40 after I wash it in the salt season
it does sit pretty low in my bumper and the liscence plate covers the fairlead
I also pack the rollers with grease periodicly to keep them moving freely

I have used my winch more in the winter than any other season
usually pull my buddies after they try to play in the fields and ditches

How long have you had it? Or should I say how many winters has it gone thru? I would think your weather is pretty similar to what I get here and man do they salt things up.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
would a neopreme winch cover solve this problem?

yes it would help a lot but not solve it.

last winter i went out with a bottle of hot water to wash off my winch a few times as week to get the salt off. this winter i will hopefully have the winch cover and still use the hot water to clean it off.

So being new to the sport how would a full sunk as opposed to open mount bumper help or hurt? I still don't have my bumper yet and need to know the merits and downfalls of a full sunk winch.

bl17z90

Having a winch sitting down in the bumper os good because it restricts airflow to the radiator when it sits on top of the bumper.

Also when the winch sits down inside the bunper protects it from taking hits.

Top Bottom